Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Thu, Jun26 2008 7:22pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I need help on MERP matters

a little topic because I need information on some characters from MERP universe, in the Mithril Range :

to begin with :
Eribhen & Ruil
Menoïb
Tolwen
Hundin

Could you please provide me with some info on these, that's necessary for the database... thank you

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Fri, Jun27 2008 10:35am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: I need help on MERP matters

About Tolwen I only know that she was called "Elven-healer" and Hundin is the chief of the bandits of Tir Limlight. I also heard that this figure is one of the few which presents a real person Chris Tubb knows. But that might be a rumour.
Menoib is called a Dunland chieftain.
That's all I know.

#3 Fri, Jun27 2008 2:24pm

erchamion
Adventurer

I have almost all the modules. What kind of description you need exactly? For example, about Tolwen, in the form of "Fangorn" There is an entire page ...roll

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#4 Fri, Jun27 2008 4:14pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I need background or "ethymology" information... those names are invented for MERP universe... Tir Limlight itself is a MERP invention...
what is a tughaib, what is a menoib, where does Tolwen come from...
For example of what I need, check my database for Mount Gundabad series... I had retrived that info on the old MMP site before it was closed... I need this kind of info

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#5 Fri, Jun27 2008 6:27pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Gavin, where are you??  big_smile

#6 Fri, Jun27 2008 8:15pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

another addition to my needs :  What is a "swamp-star"?

#7 Fri, Jun27 2008 9:49pm

erchamion
Adventurer

O.K. This weekend translated some things from Spanish as best I can. To see if you are worth ....wink

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#8 Mon, Jun30 2008 3:32pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Sorry, I'm back

I will do my best to answer all your questions, Master Gildor. Just give me a few days!

Gavin

#9 Mon, Jun30 2008 11:00pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I received great info about Tolwen and Hundin, thanks a lot Erchamion. Also some clarification about willow'wisps in the tolkien world (corpse candles, swamp stars...) 
Now I still need info about the thugaib, and the dunlending shamanistic arts...

As you may see , I have filled info for M191 and M192 and M253
(hehe, now that I have put this direct data sheet link accessible from the mailboad, why not use it ? wink )

#10 Wed, Jul2 2008 2:44am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Where this datasheet link?

I can be a bit of a moron, sometimes. Your links are perfectly logical, sensible and easy - just as soon as I connect my numb brain to what I should be doing! big_smile

Anyway

Eribhen (AKA the Young; Eribhen da Moigh)

Eribhen was the grandchild of Derna, a famous wisewoman and priestess of Dunland. She was obsessed with the ghosts which haunted her people's dreams and legends. When she was still but a child, she was apprenticed to the aging priest Ruil. Ruil gifted her with the ghost-bane staff. Eribhen delved into the powers of necromancy and sorcery and soon enough she was ensnared by the darkness. In her time, she became the high priestess of all Dunland, and annointed the warlord Ulf Dilain as high chief. At her urging, his warbands invaded Gondor in TA 1697. Alas for their ambitions, Ulf was ambushed in Calenardhon and died during a skirmish at a ford. His forces were destroyed in the days following his death. With her allies dead or in exile, Eribhen withdrew into hermitage and is said to have died alone.

Before her death, she gifted the notorious Ghostbane staff to an apprentice, Tughaib.

Ruil

The Dunmen of old were ancestor worshippers, laying their dead in great barrows, surrounded by treasures. Wise men and wise women would speak to the dead, whispering prophecies and wisdom, secrets and portents to the leaders of the Daen tribes. But there was another set of practices, lurking like an illness, worked often in secret. Men called this the "dark worship." The Wise had other names for it. These ways were the ways of the enemy, where dark priests would bend the voices of the dead to their will, reach deep into the shadows of the night seeking power and lore. In the shadows, voices answered, voices in the service of the Dark Enemy himself. Ruil was one such priest. Perhaps once, in far off days, he respected the ways of his people and propiated the spirits properly. But eventually, he found the shadows and the power they offered.

Tughaib

Tughaib, or Tughaib of the Spirits is a handsome woman, born of the harsh highlands and foothills of the Misty Mountains. Said to have Elven blood, she was tall, strong and wily. She had a power, born perhaps of that rumoured Elven blood, but also the product of long years of training and learning at the feet of the priest Eribhen.

The worship of the Dark has a long history amongst the Daen peoples of the White Mountains and Dunland. Tughaib would become one of its greatest powers. During the plague years a clan of Dunmen fled into the Undeeps of the Misty Mountains, where they perished and lingered on as ghosts and wights. Tughaib, a practitioner of the dark arts and the wielder of the Ghostbane staff, found their lonely tomb in the dark places beneath the world. Armed with the power of the staff, she was able to bend these inquiet spirits to her will. There, in the foothills of the Misty Mountains, overlooking the barren crags of the Dunmen, she dreamed of becoming a power, a queen of ghosts.

History does not tell precisely what happened to Tughaib of the spirits, but the wise believe some brave souls slew her, and scattered her army of dark things to the spring winds in the mountains.

The Ghostbane staff was forged by Dwarf smiths in the service of Mordor, in the dark years of the Second Age.

#11 Wed, Jul2 2008 7:13am

erchamion
Adventurer

Gavin, can you give the name ICE module that appears in this information? I get the feeling that there are not many modules translated into Spanish ....sad

#12 Wed, Jul2 2008 9:35am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Great info gavin !!! maybe that brings me to a conclusion....

Such lore can't be placed in the datasheets , too little space available. so I'll make a little synopsis, BUT, for all figurines from MERP that have a representation in the MITHRIL universe. Maybe we could open a topic (in the mathom category) to copy all the text related to them. (oh and by the way, I'm still missing info on Menoïb?)

That means : the thieves of Tharbad, the army of Far Harad, the ancient folk and special MERP undeads, Tolwen, Hundin, Eribhen, Ruil, Tughaib, Zalg, Saviga, Karagat and others from Mount Gundabad, Murazor, Adunaphel, Ren, Uvatha and the others Nazgul backgrounds from MERP)
That could be interesting don't you think?

As for my links, well I don't understant the problem. I just mean that you click the direct links I wrote in my former post, and that should open directly the window for the information on this precise Reference, rather than having to search through the whole database.

#13 Wed, Jul2 2008 3:55pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

I'll get you Menoib in a bit.

Perhaps, Master Gildor, you could make the "data" pop up screen bigger, to allow bigger "gallery" photographs of the figure as well?

Anyway, these characters are from the ICE module "Ghost Warriors" - hence the name of the M-series.

Gavin

#14 Wed, Jul2 2008 4:02pm

erchamion
Adventurer

Effects. This module is not translated into Spanish ....hmm

And did know this page?: http://fanmodules.free.fr/Other%20Hands/MERP.html

It seems a good compendium of modules ICE smile

#15 Wed, Jul2 2008 5:27pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

having a popup... pop from a popup... would soon grow a bit...heavy to manage...
in addition, this information is for fans only, I could put a link in the description data pointing the visitor to elsewhere on the site... in this new created section I am thinking about for example...
but there are too few references from MERP only (there are several yes but not a huge amount) to justify a remake of the whole database module...
I'll think about addind a section either in the forum, or in gallery...

I'll put this reflexion topic on the "Flowing Waters of Ekkaia" category of the forum (only admins can see this category)

#16 Wed, Jul2 2008 8:21pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

deleted

Last edited by Gavin (Tue, Jul8 2008 11:00pm)

#17 Thu, Jul3 2008 8:40am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

a great sitefor info but not legal alas sad... I wish I could put the link but that would not be a good idea to promote an illegal site

#18 Thu, Jul3 2008 4:41pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

I know. I wouldn't suggest you put it on the main link page.

I've heard vague noises about some vast MERP wiki link, which strips all the info out of the MERP books and puts them where the world can see it. But that's a huge undertaking and I doubt anyone would have the time.

Anyway, more writeups in the next hour or so.

#19 Thu, Jul3 2008 4:54pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Solophen

The Mhaigren clan of the Daen Lintis (Dunlending) people dwell in the foothills of the Hithaeglir, perilously close to the undead-haunted Underdeeps of the mountains. Solophen, the ancient spirit-speaker priest, has dedicated his life to warding off the night walkers. Amongst the Mhaigren, the role of the spirit speaker is seen as women's work, and the old man is the butt of many jokes. Solophen cares little. He is the only one in the clan who can ward off the undead, though he knows his strength is  failing.

#20 Thu, Jul3 2008 5:57pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Menoib

Menoib was the chieftain of the Mhaigren clan in the 1700s of the Third Age. A brave and accomplished man, he had the dark fortune to rule in the time when the dark priestess Tughaib raised her army of Ghost Warriors. His warband fought long against the wights of the mountains, but their weapons were no use agains the undead. Worse, his fallen warrior companions would then return as walking dead, gliding out of the dark, hungering for the living. Menoib protected the aged priest, Solophen, from the taunts of the clan warriors, and gladly paid outside adventurers to help him save his people from the dead.

#21 Thu, Jul10 2008 2:17pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Once again I need help with two people :

Miruimor & Carangil... from M324 : Female Vampires

If you could give me some info about them, that would be helpful smile

#22 Thu, Jul10 2008 4:29pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Coming up.

Give me a few hours smile

#23 Thu, Jul10 2008 6:42pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Miruimor

Miruimor was once named Firailian, a bright and intelligent woman born of Black Numenorean aristocrats in the City of Umbar in the 16th Century of the Third Age. A scholar, and drawn to the mystic, she was born into her family's worship of the darkness. Through her studies, she came to realise that Sauron saw the Numenorean aristocrats of Umbar as mere pawns in his struggle with the Valar. She saw that as a sign of his power and intellect. Others thought her ideas heretical. Sauron was the Black Numenorean's patron, not some distant demigod who treated them as pawns. Such heresy marked her for death, but she escaped through cunning. She travelled to Gondor under a false name, and armed with her sharp wits and dark sorcery, she soon learned many of the secrets of the White Tower. Her daring brought her to Sauron's attention and guided by dreams, she made her way to Dol Guldor where she became an apprentice to the Necromancer himself. In return for her service, he gave her the task of reclaiming Thuringwathost, an ancient fortress close to Dagorlad, for the darkness.

There she became a minor power, the Necromancer's lieutenant on the porous eastern borders of Gondor. It is said that although she was gifted with the long lifespan of the heirs of Numenor, she wanted more. She learned sorcery to help extend her life. Said spells need blood and at length, Miruimor became a distant echo of the ancient Vampires of Beleriand in the elder days.

#24 Thu, Jul10 2008 6:51pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Carangil was a Sindarin princess of Mirkwood, captured when her kin's forest realm was overrun. She was enslaved and taken to the dungeons of Dol Guldor as a plaything for the darkness. How long she was imprisoned, few know. But in the end she was taken from the darkness below the earth and delivered as a gift to Miruimor. Carangil remains silent, remains submissive. Some suspect she has been broken by the darkness.

But Carangil is merely biding her time, waiting for the opportunity to strike down the sorceress and destroy her nest of evil. She does not have the power nor warcraftiness to threaten her captors, but she knows her way around the fortress at Thuringwathost and she has seen much of the dungeons beneath Dol Guldor. With the right opportunity and the right allies, Carangil will prove that she is no one's slave.

#25 Fri, Jul11 2008 1:43am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Oddly enough:

Miruimor doesn't actually seem to be a vampire in the Dagorlad supplement (she could have been "retconned" later, one presumes). She's just a Black Numenorean sorceress. I added the bit about blood magic so her description jibes with what Mithril call her.

Board footer