Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, Sep19 2008 7:09pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Dol Amroth have charged in

Well a box of goodies arrived today in the form of the Mounted Knights and at first glance mighty fine they look, but tap them together and you can tell that they are cast in a different metal (as Michael mentioned).

As I said, I've not had a chance to have a proper look yet, my only main critisism is that horse and rider are all one piece castings which has slightly thrown my intentions out of the window, but to be honest is not a major problem I hope as I think that most of the lower bodies are fairly similar in pose.

I suppose I shall now have a couple of hours of fun replacing the reins and see how many times I can cut the tips of my fingers hmm

Hopefully I will add the foot soldiers soon.

#2 Sat, Sep20 2008 12:42pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Re: Dol Amroth have charged in

Oooh, excellent.

They are all in one casts? Pity. I had plans for those boys.

Oh well, back to Plan A. big_smile

#3 Sat, Sep20 2008 3:15pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I wonder why they've been produced that way? Presumably it's more economical.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#4 Sat, Sep20 2008 4:30pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I guess so, virtually all the extras excepting the shields and sword scabbards are all cast as one piece.

#5 Sat, Sep20 2008 4:34pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I dunno if that is more economical. And to be honest it doesn't matter much to me. I'm just glad to have them in my hands after such a long time of waiting. I think it really is a very good set of regular M-figures.
As for those butchers of Mithrils (sorry, I mean those of you who think of converting figures) I think it's best to chop up those riders at their waists wink .
But that could imply a lot of skilled work, meseems.

#6 Sat, Sep20 2008 11:12pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Theobald wrote:

I dunno if that is more economical. And to be honest it doesn't matter much to me. I'm just glad to have them in my hands after such a long time of waiting. I think it really is a very good set of regular M-figures.
As for those butchers of Mithrils (sorry, I mean those of you who think of converting figures) I think it's best to chop up those riders at their waists wink .
But that could imply a lot of skilled work, meseems.

'Tis indeed but a technicality Master Theobald because there isn't much difference to the detail below the waist in all honesty.

I think, (and hope) that by changing the arms about that variations will be easily be achieved, and with the odd beheading and swappping of heads, many variants will be possible.

The important thing is, as stated is that they [The Knights of Dol Amroth] are here at last, and this is one release that I have wished for above all others - the image that springs to mind is that from the film of Waterloo where the ill-fated charge of the Scot's Greys is captured in slow motion (more like the non-existant scene from the film of Faramirs' charge), albeit with a different outcome. The one piece casting while inconvenient is not by any means a major draw back. wink

#7 Sun, Sep21 2008 1:56pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, I just completed assembling Imrahil ... the other four riders I assembled last night ... and I still enjoy ... the volume those tiny pieces take has changed because of their casting ... it's more open ... I don't know the right words for that in English ... in German those are "raumgreifende Figuren" as I was told when I studied parts of arts.
At the moment I'm assembling Imrahil ... just to that my MX-version is not too far from him. Well, of course I knew about him before, as I knew about the standard-bearer.
A lot of work still has to be done today ... those footsoldiers and more
Nevertheless a great charge that is ....

#8 Tue, Sep23 2008 9:40am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Interesting - I've just had an email from The Man, who says that the Dol Amroth knights being moulded onto their horses came as a surprise to him...

Still, I guess it's too late for anything to be done about it now.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#9 Tue, Sep23 2008 12:58pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I have not received mine yet but could you tell me already...

Will it be harder to paint them this way? I mean... are there parts very very difficult to reach due to these "all-in-one-piece" knights ?

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#10 Tue, Sep23 2008 1:17pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I haven't got mine yet either! Chris is chasing the factory for me... but I can't believe that it will make them especially difficult to paint - there are many other one-piece Mithril horsemen. I'm more disappointed by the fact that one won't be able to mix and match the horse and rider combinations. A great shame (Chris thinks so too...)

#11 Tue, Sep23 2008 1:50pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I'm sure that there won't be any major difficulties in painting the riders. Here Master Barliman is right (just think of the mounted Eowyn figure).
But I completely agree that these one-piece castings are a shame as for the reasons our barkeep mentioned. Because of that I'm glad that first I just ordered one piece each and not that whole (reduced) batch.
Though the figures are very nice, as I said before.

#12 Tue, Sep23 2008 6:16pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I doubt they'll be recast but that would be interesting to know why Dan Joe moulded them this way.... Seems like Chris will have to make a trip to Ireland soon to check what's going on at the factory.

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#13 Tue, Sep23 2008 6:21pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I do not think that painting will be a problem as they are wearing their surcoat thingy (or whatever it is called) and there doesn't appear to be too many hard to reach areas that would cause major problems.

Even with arms attached you should still be ok - I'll let you know as I've glued them on.

The biggest pain for me was removing all of the cast on reins which I have never liked, but at least my dremmell tool has only scraped the skin off one thumb mad

Still that's all done, now I've just got to sand the horses necks down and then I can crack on with the painting big_smile

#14 Tue, Sep23 2008 6:23pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

I doubt they'll be recast but that would be interesting to know why Dan Joe moulded them this way.... Seems like Chris will have to make a trip to Ireland soon to check what's going on at the factory.

I wonder if it has anything to do with keeping costs down? They seem to have compacted the castings regarding sprues etc.

#15 Tue, Sep23 2008 8:19pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Economy is still my best guess.

Board footer