Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, Mar27 2009 3:31pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Tell me of your characters, oh regulars of the Prancing Pony!

As I mentioned to our esteemed and mysterious ranger in the corner, I am writing a MERP adventure. Actually I've got several on the go, but one, in particular is relevant here.

It's the winter of 3018/3019. In the south, the War of the Ring is about to begin. In sleepy Bree, the events of the previous autumn are a strange memory, best left forgotten about. Little do the people of the Breeland towns know that they are under threat.

The whole module is an ambitious attempt to finish some things left unfinished by ICE's MERP modules. In particular I want to create a coda to the Lord of the Rings adventure game saga. The heroes of those modules have come home, their quest somewhat complete. But the enemy has one more hand to play.

What do I need you lot for?

Well, I want you to write yourselves as bar patrons of the Prancing Pony, or the Forsaken Inn.  Our esteemed barkeep and Nob are obviously covered. The Ent...well, uhm, I am sure I'll think of something. The Ranger in the corner is obviously covered. But the rest of you? Who are you and why are you in the Pony.

This is obviously not an important element of the module, but I think a cute wink-and-nod "easter egg" would be fun.
What I want is a name (your name will be somehow Tolkienised, or at least altered to fit the hobbits and tall folk of Bree), a brief description, and what you do, and why you are in the Pony.

Beyond that, go wild!

Gavin

#2 Fri, Mar27 2009 8:07pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Re: Tell me of your characters, oh regulars of the Prancing Pony!

What a daft idea Gavin, lol. Well to join in the spirit of the post, lets just say I'm a tired and weary soldier of the sea, come home to retire with my family in Bree, my name ~

Addroddyn, Captain of the Southern Army, in the tongue of men

Elrohir Ancalímon in the tongue of the Elves

(forget my Hobbit name!!!).

The following links may help you out with names.

http://chriswetherell.com/elf/

http://chriswetherell.com/hobbit/

http://www.myprecious.us/name_generator.php

So who else do we have smile

#3 Fri, Mar27 2009 9:02pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Excellent.

Well, you won't have a Hobbit name. You'll be some retired Gondorian soldier floating around in retirement in Bree.

Well, that's a start.

Next!

#4 Sat, Mar28 2009 12:39am

hsf62
Master Caster

Hahaha thats funny. I put my name in this "name translater" and got: "Griffo Foxburr of Fair Downs"  Suits Down Under!lol

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#5 Sat, Mar28 2009 5:43am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Ha! hsf, thats funny! This is a great idea gavin, and I for one have an adventure group ready to play--let me know when you are done. matter'o'fact we are playing a Cardolan adventure tomorrow!

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#6 Sat, Mar28 2009 11:07am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Cardolan. That sounds good. It reminds me to finish my "Thieves of Tharbad" - thing. I really love that Cardolan Mercanary.
Do you think Gavin, a retired Cardolan Mercanary floating also around makes sense ?
By the way: David´s links are fantastic ! As your idea also!

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#7 Sat, Mar28 2009 11:23am

hsf62
Master Caster

My name is Griffo Foxburr of Fair Downs and I'm the owner of the lokal foundry.
I visit the Pony on a regular basis to ensure that the pewter tankards and plates used here (supplied by me) are treated with respect and to check if Master Barliman is in need of new plates or tankards.
And not to forget to keep updated on the latest rumors and news.

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#8 Sat, Mar28 2009 12:51pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Excellent!

Precisely what I am looking for.

I know there likely isn't a population floating around old Cardolan by the time of the War of the Ring, but for the sake of the module, there is now :p

Your characters are background colour, sources of rumour, or maybe even participants in the last fight to drive off the enemy. Hopefully, eventually, I'll find miniatures to represent them, and use them for illustration.

Anyway, its all in fun. Hopefully the module will be fun too, whenever I get it done.

Gavin

#9 Sat, Mar28 2009 2:07pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huuoommmmrhuoommmm ... huom .. yes.
So all in all I can understand your problems of having an Ent being placed in such an adventure, Master Gavin .... rhuoommm ... right you are .... I wouldn't even have space enough around me to fit into that narrow premises of the Prancing Pony ... rhuoommm ... though someone placed me there in a very nice diorama once .... huooommmhomhom... huoooom ... so you might have me standing somewhere in the background ... huomm ... as some of us Ents watched the Shire closely ... rhuoommm ... hom ... I think Master Tolkien reported about that some time ago .... hhmmrhuommhh ... yes, he did .... huoommm
As for me, being an Ent of minor importance, I just can tell that Hobbits use to call me Togo Chubb ... rhuoommm ... I don't know why ... hom ... I'm known among some Elves as Mablung Melwasúl ... huoomm ... hom .. ah, yes I nearly forgot to mention that nice trick I learned from those wizards to be able to enter the Pony ... rhuooommmgruom ... I will not tell, but some of them call me Osse [Ossi] the White ... rhuoomm ... nice magic by the way ... rhuommmm

#10 Sat, Mar28 2009 3:52pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Rhuoomm, Master Gavin, you're doing a brilliant job with the detailed description of the the MERP ideas. At the moment I'm fascinated by the very detailed entries on the Nazgûls. Thank you very much for that tongue

#11 Sat, Mar28 2009 4:06pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Why thank you. I am not doing anything terribly special, merely adapting the character's writeups from Lords of Middle Earth, the Mirkwood supplement and so on.

Adunaphel was a bit odd to write, since I spent most of the write up being gender neutral. The character-as-written was interesting enough, but her/its story didn't entirely "fit" into the MERP or Middle Earth saga.

When the Nazgul are done, I am going to make a new thread with statted up sample characters for using in various MERP campaigns. I'll write up the basics. Others are most welcome to contribute their favourite PC (and painted representative miniature)

The plan is to have four sets of characters:

- The War of the Ring Era
- TA 1970-1975 era
- 1640 (the default MERP Era)
- The Thieves of Tharbad/Dark Mage of Rhudaur era to the Kinstrife

Gavin

#12 Sun, Mar29 2009 12:27pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Well, let's have a look what I can find to represent Master Griffo Foxburr of Fair Downs.
I'm sure I can put something interesting together.

#13 Mon, Mar30 2009 1:14am

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

lollollol My hobbit name: Iris Proudneck of Longbottom

Of men: Abiasien of the Afterborn (what does that mean?)

And just for fun: Bryngwen the Ruler - Dwarf name.  And my elven name: Eldárwen Véneanár.

Other hobbit name:  Gwaelonna 'Proudneck' Brockhouse, Ring-finder

I'm going to have to think of a doozy of a reason to be in the Pony.

#14 Mon, Mar30 2009 11:50am

hsf62
Master Caster

Welcome Master Togo Chubb and my lady Iris Proudneck of Longbottom.
May I introduce Griffo Foxburr of Fair Downs the Master Caster from Bree!
Cheers Master Barliman!
Click to close
I also brought my sword, I have heard that there is something evil around.

Where are all the others anyway???

Last edited by hsf62 (Mon, Mar30 2009 1:03pm)

#15 Mon, Mar30 2009 1:10pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Yes, Where are they . . . ?  I have to catch this head start . . .

Oh, by the way Master Griffo, again a very nice scene, that one !

Last edited by rita.de (Mon, Mar30 2009 1:11pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#16 Mon, Mar30 2009 1:18pm

hsf62
Master Caster

I would like to extend this scene if possible!

#17 Mon, Mar30 2009 1:22pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

. . . you are welcome . . .

#18 Mon, Mar30 2009 1:34pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Come on girls and guys give Master Gavin and myself some input!
Who are you???

#19 Mon, Mar30 2009 3:53pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

So Wendy is a Hobbit. Good, good. smile

#20 Mon, Mar30 2009 4:03pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

So who have we got Griffo, Iris, an unnamed Cardolani mercenary (get on it!), a mysterious Ranger in the corner, a somewhat triggy looking gentleman. Gildor is already showing up - as Gildor! I suspect Master Brown will be a retired Rohir warrior.

Who are we missing from the hardcore regulars? (I suspect Tom Bombadil will make a cameo appearance too, so that's someone else big_smile)

Gavin

#21 Mon, Mar30 2009 4:59pm

protozeus
Adventurer

Bern the Silent Paw

- Beorning Outcast, Human, male, middle-aged
- Scout, Thief
- Silent; in general more mischievous than evil

"Actually, I am on a quest, searching for the not-so-tame she-bear Lloragh, formerly the proud wi… possession of my chieftain, a … beauty. How did he lose her? Well, let's say there was a small accident, something with a broken lock and a village in chaos ... and I was ... well ... chosen, yes chosen, cannot really speak about this, it is a holy ritual of our tribe. 

Was following a trail south, then across many the mountain passes, back and forth, but lost her somehow. Have seen things on that journey. Things. Many things … things those little hobbits over there dare not even imagine in their darkest dreams. Need more ale, by the way. Would you be so kind?

Still trying to rise again to my weary feet (you see my crappy boots? All right, yes, they do smell … a bit ...). What was I saying? Ah yes, someday I will continue the search, but not now … those weeks of ale in this verry comfortable place have softened my zeal, at least for now.

But you could do me a little favour. There are rumours of a mighty bear visiting nearby settlements at night. Too tired to look into it myself, but if you are interested in earning some coins .... No she will not bite you, never!"

ménin aeíde, theá, beórnou órkeiphágou!

#22 Mon, Mar30 2009 6:54pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Gavin, you need a Cardolan name ? "Addreoryn" was found in that name-machine . . . Is it good ? roll

#23 Mon, Mar30 2009 7:46pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Perfectly good. smile

#24 Mon, Mar30 2009 10:43pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

o.k. then . . .
By the way, Gavin. Absolutely great work on that Nazgul stuff.
Can´t wait to read something about Hoarmurath of Dir !

Last edited by rita.de (Mon, Mar30 2009 10:47pm)

#25 Mon, Mar30 2009 11:08pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

I dunno, I'm kind of tall for a hobbit.  I must have had some ent draught at some point.  big_smile

What would a chick hobbit be doing in the Pony?

Board footer