Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sat, May23 2009 4:37am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Gondor Color Scheme

I have always painted Gondorians with black or grey tunics, dark grey shields with white tree, and silverish armour.

Does anyone have any alternate schemes they can recommend?

I want it to be faithful to Tolkien's writings. 

My models are in heavy armour, unmounted.

Just looking for ideas..

George

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#2 Sat, May23 2009 2:31pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Re: Gondor Color Scheme

Well, there are different Gondorians to paint. Which ones are you wanting to paint?
For example: I painted Royal Gondorian Guards to have a black tunic with a silver or white tree, normal Gondorian soldiers can really be painted the color you want. You also got the Lossanarch provinence, Dol Amroth, and others that haven't been made yet. hmm

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#3 Sat, May23 2009 4:47pm

Lluis
Traveller

Re: Gondor Color Scheme

jdbrown55 wrote:

For example: I painted Royal Gondorian Guards to have a black tunic with a silver or white tree, normal Gondorian soldiers can really be painted the color you want.

So did I with my own Royal Guards. As for other Gondorian troops, I use to give them different liveries depending on the province they are supposed to belong to. My MW337 Royal Army mailed infantry figures were painted in white tunics with red edges, as well as stockings in a very light red, to make them match with such tunic "facing". I followed the same pattern for troops supposed to belong to Lebennin and/or Ithilien -with a dark grey, nearly black leather cuirass, as you can see in this picture: http://soldadets.blogspot.com/2009/03/s … omesa.html

I had planned to adopt (for some near future projects) a somewhat similar painting schema for other provincial troops -maybe changing facing and stockings colours. Varying the colour of the tunic itself might be a good option, although I most likely won't use it except for semi-independent fiefs as Dol Amroth.

For my Ringló provincials (using M291, M292 and some MW337) I followed a completely different pattern, however. Having read that this was a quite empoverished province, I painted them in several shades of brown, khaki and green, with natural leather cuirasses. Shields' background in black, however. Sorry I haven't pictures of them yet!

Board footer