Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sat, Sep26 2009 6:55pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Original Aragorn - Back at Work Again

Hi everyone - it's been nice looking at everyone's Facebook pages and seeing all the incredible artwork and creativity!  big_smile  It got my creative juices flowing again and I picked up some clay, a paint brush, and some lovely Mithril figures - and I'm painting for the first time in about 3 months!

I'm going to make a diorama of "Over Hill and Under Hill."  In my scene, the Great Goblin and two goblin guards are interrogating Thorin.  The Great Goblin is furious that Orcrist, known as Goblin Cleaver, or simply "Biter," has been found in Thorin's possession.

Is this "the end" for Thorin?  Not so fast, Gandalf is around the corner - about to put a quick end to the Great Goblin and his diabiolical plans!

So far, I've made the diorama setting.  I used a wooden base and carved stairs out of clay and carved the brick patterns.  The pillar is an actual piece of Granite (leftover from getting granite counters recently in the kitchen).  The brick floor is from Heki - some precut brick patterns.  It's all painted and washed with inks.

[img align=l]Click to close[/img]

Here is the first Goblin Guard.  At some point I'll remove him from the base and glue him.

Here is the Great Goblin.  He'll also be removed from base.

Here's where the guard and the Great Goblin will be - approximately.  Gandalf will be on the stairs, peering out from behind the pillar.  Thorin will be held by the Guard.  There will also be a second guard.

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#2 Sat, Sep26 2009 8:37pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: Original Aragorn - Back at Work Again

smile lolcool impatiently expected by the end of this work...... Master Strider.....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Sun, Sep27 2009 3:01pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Looking forward to seeing the final product!
Great start anyhow!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#4 Mon, Sep28 2009 1:20am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks guys!  Made some progress today.

First, here is a very colorful Thorin - shaking his fist in defiance at the Great Goblin!

Here's Thorin detained by the guard.  More to come soon.

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#5 Mon, Sep28 2009 5:42am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Beautiful paint work of mighty Thorin Oakenshield.... !!!

#6 Mon, Sep28 2009 2:11pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks Nino!  Coming from an excellent painter like yourself, that means a lot!

I thought I would try making him colorful.  I noticed that Tolkien described the dwarfs with colorful cloaks and hoods and hair!  (Although for some reason he hardly said anything about Thorin's colors).

HELP PLEASE/um Rat fragen: my photos don't seem as good as others.  I'm trying to get the entire terrain piece in the photo but still get good focus on all the participants like some of the excellent diorama makers can do on this site.  Is there a certain angle you guys shoot from?  Indoors/outdoors?  Camera settings?

#7 Mon, Sep28 2009 3:25pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommmm ... I hope you don't mind receiving a compliment from a poor painter (who is me, the Tree), Master OriginalAragorn ... your project is very good indeed ... keep on, please
Huom ... as for Master Tolkien's description of the Dwarves you might read the first chapter of The Hobbit again ... there you'll find a lot of details about the outward appearance of some Dwarves (including Thorin) ... rhuoommm ... I've been reading that chapter several times lately as I try to prepare painting 13 Dwarves ... wink
Huoommm ... sorry, I'm not a good photographer ... I cannot help with this

#8 Mon, Sep28 2009 3:28pm

hsf62
Master Caster

What can I say, we really have a lot of great painters and diorama builders here on MMP.
Absolutely great to be a part of this!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#9 Mon, Sep28 2009 3:38pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Theobald - thank you!  And it DOES mean a lot!  Thanks for the advice on the 1st chapter of the Hobbit.  I'll take another look.  Is there any place I can view the 13 Mithril dwarfs?  Are they for viewing yet, or still a surprise?

Holger - I couldn't agree with you more!  Though I haven't always been very active on this site, I really enjoy all the "eye candy."

#10 Mon, Sep28 2009 3:55pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... so far you can only see five Dwarves, Master OriginalAragorn ... the other eight will follow ... remember the "Unexpected Party" ... they did not appear altogether, rather in pairs or even singularly ... and Gandalf was first, if I remember well ...
I placed two pics of those in the Mathom House ... Thorin is among them ...

#11 Mon, Sep28 2009 6:39pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Just looked at the figures you mentioned Theobald.  Wow, those are really beautiful!

Will all people be able to buy them, or only the Gold Fellowship?

#12 Mon, Oct5 2009 3:11am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

I made some more progress on my diorama (or is it a vignette?)  (What is the difference?  How should I know?)  tongue

First, I converted an orc that Ken Crawford gave me.  Instead of a spear, I gave him a scoop full of hot coals.  Also, can someone help me identify the orc that I converted?  He had a spear and a loin cloth - but nothing else..  I don't know which model it is.  HELP!

Click to close
Click to close

I'm sure Thorin isn't happy with the thought of being tortured!  Who will save him?
Click to close
Click to close

Soon you will see the resolution of this rather uncomfortable position that Thorin finds himself in!

#13 Mon, Oct5 2009 5:00am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

It's one of the "Morgoth Orcs" from the Black Sword series. M222

Last edited by Gavin (Mon, Oct5 2009 5:02am)

#14 Mon, Oct5 2009 5:32am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

... this nice piece of diorama  will be ready soon for enjoyment in complete adventure.... lol

#15 Mon, Oct5 2009 2:38pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks Gavin!  I was wondering that.

Nino - my diorama will be done soon.  Now I just need to paint Gandalf.  But he seems hard to paint - lots of little folds and details!

#16 Mon, Oct5 2009 3:06pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

OriginalAragorn wrote:

Just looked at the figures you mentioned Theobald.  Wow, those are really beautiful!

Will all people be able to buy them, or only the Gold Fellowship?

"MX" or "Designer Mithril" models are available to the general public.
"MS" or "Gold Fellowship" models are only available to Fellowship members.

Though, frankly, its the same people buying both. So you may as well sign up for the Fellowship like the rest of us :p

#17 Mon, Oct5 2009 3:14pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

there is a difference in castign numbers though... MX are released in small quantities, depending on the person who ordered it... this time there will be 70 regular MX and 30 "first" casting of the unexpected party.. That's at least half the release batch of any MS...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#18 Fri, Oct9 2009 2:18am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Inspired by Christoph, I'm now presenting:

"ON THE BOTTLE CAP"

This is Gandalf the Grey!  He will soon be placed in the diorama to see what he can do to assist Thorin Oakenshield in his time of need!
Click to close
Click to close

Also, I wanted to show you my Gandalf from my "GW" days.  This is when I first started painting miniatures - about 15 months ago.  I HOPE YOU SEE PROGRESS!  big_smile
Click to close
Click to close

Cheers!
George (OA)

#19 Fri, Oct9 2009 3:49am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

That's very serious progress!

I am very impressed!

#20 Fri, Oct9 2009 7:25am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I vote for Mithril smile !!!!!!!!!

#21 Fri, Oct9 2009 2:17pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

To be fair, the GW version is plastic.  But I think the Mithril version is also better than the metal version of Gandalf that GW puts out!

#22 Fri, Oct9 2009 3:23pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

First of all I have to say that I do like this project you're about to realize very much, Master OriginalAragorn. The conversions, the painting, your creativity and the idea.
As for Gandalf figures I regard the Mithril LR1 (and the LO-version of it) as being the best.

#23 Fri, Oct9 2009 4:02pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks Master Theobald!

My only regret is making his staff metallic.  I might repaint the staff to be a shiny, dark wood..

And I agree - the LO1 and LR1 are very nice looking models!

#24 Fri, Oct9 2009 5:31pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Yeah, the LR1 looks good. Eventually I'll have to buy the entire LR 1-10 set, just to get my dirty little fingers on it!

Gavin

#25 Fri, Oct9 2009 7:04pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Rhuooommmm .... huommm ... that staff is wooden for sure, Master OriginalAragorn ... as Ents do know ... a shiny surface of the old wood will be good, as it might give the impression of being used and touched for a long time ... wink
keep on, please, and do not regard this as an advice ... as everyone around here will interpret the colouring of figures on his/her own way ... that's what I really do enjoy

Board footer