Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, Dec6 2009 4:28pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

A thought on the Easterlings

Just thinking out loud here, but...

The issue with the Easterlings is that Mithril/PA cannot find an economical way to cast the figures in an acceptable manner - either they do the less than perfect Knights of Dol Amroth solution, in which rider and horse are cast together, or a more expensive "Eomer Mounted" solution, in which rider and horse are cast seperately.

So here's my thought:

Forget the horses.

Cast the warriors.

Mithril already has several pre-existing horse moulds. Use them. Use the Mounted Nazgul horse; use Frumgar's mould, use Glorfindel's. Use M293 (since they have a few knocking around, apparently) and M152. Cast those normally. For any chieftain/captain figures, go the whole hog and cast the newer horse.  Cannibalise.

Maybe offer a set of six of the expensive "proper" Easterling horses with mounts to the Fellowship later in the year.

Profit.

Gavin

#2 Mon, Dec7 2009 6:59am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: A thought on the Easterlings

This is a very good solution. It would be nice to have some new Easterling figures in collection. I suport that idea !

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Mon, Dec7 2009 9:21am

Arthadan
Traveller

What about raising funds selling as many copies of the whole set (for an slightly reduced price) as neccesary to cover production costs (a "buy it before release" offer)? As soon as they had the money, they could produce the figures and sell them at normal price.

Last edited by Arthadan (Mon, Dec7 2009 12:14pm)

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#4 Mon, Dec7 2009 4:11pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

. . . Easterlings on demand  . . .so to say !
Well, I am a greast fan of Easterlings (though not many vote for them when I suggest my favourite Easterling Archer . . . wink )
I support this idea too, although I suppose reality is far away . . .

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#5 Tue, Dec8 2009 9:02am

hsf62
Master Caster

Nice dreams if you ask me.
I don't think anything like this is going to happen.sad

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#6 Tue, Dec8 2009 3:50pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I agree with master Holger. Doing this could quickly become anarchic and would not satisfy everybody or generates too much "conditionnal issues".
Once , during the early days of Mithril there was already something like that, with same horse for several references but they quickly stopped doing that because when it comes to collection purposes then, if "parts" of a figurine belong to several figurines it is easy to "cheat" or  mix-up

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#7 Wed, Dec9 2009 7:39am

Arthadan
Traveller

About pre-orders, I know miniature companies which work like that. Heresy is making that with a huge (and I mean HUGE) dragon:  dragon and Wargames Factory has what they called the Liberty and Union League. From their website:

"This is an idea that our good friend Nic Robson of Eureka Miniatures first came up with. Let’s say you want a figure, or a bunch of figures, that nobody makes. Nic lets you submit your suggestion to the Eureka Miniatures website and lets everyone vote on it. Once enough people have said they were interested and have pre-ordered enough miniatures, Eureka puts them into production and offers them for sale. How’s that for customer service!"

So, it would be something like the Fellowship, but Mr. Tubb would offer the list of ranges to vote and everybody could vote, not only Fellowship members,  pre-ordering at the same time. If it works for another companies, why not for Mithril?

Middle-earth forsaking!

#8 Wed, Dec9 2009 6:28pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well arthadan that MAY be interesting for Mithril too IF the Gold Fellowship program (MS) AND the Designer Mithril program (MX) were not separate entities co-existing but each submitted to special rules already in application at Mithril.

The pre-order solution is a cross-over between what we currently have at mithril with MS and MX actually. That's a bit like suggesting a MX by a community of people (which has already been done in the past for Frumgar, by the original MMP)

still, we could always submit the idea to Lars Edman as it is indeed an interesting marketing tool, but I doubt it will be accepted because it creates too many variables...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#9 Wed, Dec9 2009 7:19pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, all the ideas here do not mean anything new to me.
Why is it that you always want to force new ideas and concepts upon Mithril? -  without the old ones being settled - while even only criticizing all the other steps Mithril took in the past?
I'm surprised a bit about reading all these matters, arguments, concepts and entries around here and there and back again about how Mithril has to improve merchandising, how they have to cast miniatures, about to when or if to release figures of whatever range. Implying each and every single personal whish to be fulfilled - and there are many, believe me.
It is not about sitting around and typing something about how you would like to have it done to please your ideas. That will not make sense in the future, as it didn't make sense in the past.
*Sorry*  I had to say that.
What I wanted to tell, simply is to DO something. You have to try to support ideas - not just by voting on the Gold Board, which is just one more email. There's more to do .... in case you're interested.
Sorry, angry again, I'm a bit angry about all this hassle.
rhuooommmmm .... huommmmm .huoom

#10 Wed, Dec9 2009 7:27pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

An idea is not a demand, nor even a wish, Master Tree smile

It's just an idea. Floating a "trial balloon" is the English phrase. Asking an implied question: would this work? What would be the practical objections? Nothing much stronger.

And I always support ideas. The large Mithril shaped holes in my bank account is testament to that.

#11 Wed, Dec9 2009 8:51pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

mmh, the Tree is angry. Well, understandable this is.
BUT, as Master Gavin mentioned: it is just an idea.
Where else is the place to post those ideas. I think everybody here in this topic is aware of the fact that Gavin´s idea is is mostly unrealistic, unfortunately.
Nevertheless, you give the invitation of "Doing Something", Master Theobald ! Right you are!
Of course this is necessary and I will give support as good as I am able to. BUT: I don´t see possibilities beneath a further MX-project. And MX-projects
could be expensive, as you know . . .
If you know more, tell us, be more concrete please and give us enlightenment ( this is a song of Master Van Morrison, isn´t it . . .?)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#12 Wed, Dec9 2009 8:52pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well... some of you/us know about all the ideas I suggested... all the ideas I DID put in place, or DID propose directly to Mithril and Chris Tubb directly... I know i have done things , in the limit of the things I could afford indeed but well my suggestions did not remain only suggestions on this forum ...

#13 Wed, Dec9 2009 8:57pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

master Christoph...

Didn't I suggest many ideas (a whole thread on the topic) mentionning all the suggestions that could be done (on mithril side and on collector side) that do not involve lot of money or the launch of an MX project?

I do promote in shops, I show figurines, pictures, inform them... but they just say "yeah, wow cool figurine indeed! ah! interesting..." but for them Mithril is dead, and it's not for shops to volunteer a product promotion, they are there to sell what the producers/distributers try to make them sell... that's all . so this kind of promotion is not for us collectors to do... it's the job of the marketing dpt of Mithril/Prince August... alone

we have the internet... to promote other way around...

#14 Wed, Dec9 2009 9:07pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Excuse my latest words, please - (I was about to delete my last entry) ... but
I ... well ... somehow had to express those thoughts in public.
I do not mind at all about ideas floating around. That's also what sometimes my ideas do.
And, just to be honest ... I do like it this.
But sometimes I'm also satisfied to have them realized and become tue.
No, Master Gavin, that was not something  you might have perceived as  a "trial balloon", not at all. -  And as for implied questions you asked, well this is not the place to ask for answers about that. So let me thank you, Master Gavin. Just don't worry too much. wink

#15 Wed, Dec9 2009 9:09pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Yes, you did, Master Gildor. And I know that! It seems that there is a kind of vacuum left.
Did everybody remember our discussion here when the first Helm´s deep- range was released to that former high price.
What has been left of all the ideas mentioned months ago . . . ? People tend to drown in the "Flowing Waters of Ekkaia"  wink

Oh, by the way: where are the other Helm´s Deep-releases . . .

#16 Wed, Dec9 2009 9:13pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Let us moan and hassle, Master Tree. We're just Children (none other than Eru's himself... but children anyway!)  big_smile

I was trying to offer ideas which are already working elsewhere. Of course, I do not know if they are suitable for Mithril or not. So, please, excuse me if my ideas were foolish.

You have said there is "more to do" if we're interested. I would like to know more about that, if is not reserved for full grown people, that is. wink

Middle-earth forsaking!

#17 Wed, Dec9 2009 9:34pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

What to say?
My contribution about promoting Mithril-miniatures went another way than Gildor's some time ago - though you might guess that it's just another way to reach the same aim, just different ways.
What to answer?
There are ideas ... here. There also are concepts which might be regarded. But, please, don't ask me about any details about this matter, as I cannot and will not publish unless things are settled.
Until then I'm keeping on to my dreams ...rhuoommm.... as I do also have some still smile

#18 Wed, Dec9 2009 9:47pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

There is no reason to excuse, Master Arthadan, not at all. And your ideas have not been foolish ... rhuoomm ... I never said that ... rhuoommm ... though I was a bit angry today, but that had nothing to do with this thread ... rhuoommm ... better settle down at the  'Pony' for a nice bowl of clear-clean-watery- liquid .... smile
I did not want to harm anyone around here ... fur sure ...

#19 Wed, Dec9 2009 10:11pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

owww-owww-owww-twigs-in-places-where-there-should-not-be-twigs. :p

#20 Thu, Dec10 2009 2:10pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Let's have a bowl or two, Master Tree. But please, let me chose my 'liquid'. wink

Middle-earth forsaking!

Board footer