Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Feb10 2010 11:16pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

The King and the Squire

Here is a small vignette that has been forming long in my mind and only finished this week.

A simple idea to depict King Theoden and his squire, knight of Rohan, Meriadoc the hobbit as they journey from the ruin of Orthanc discussing trivial matters such as pipe-weed.

I wanted a relaxed uncluttered scene with Theoden riding in a fairly casual pose while Merry rides along side on his pony.

I hope you enjoy.

David

Click to close

#2 Thu, Feb11 2010 8:32am

Arthadan
Traveller

Re: The King and the Squire

Very nice painting! I specially like the pony, it looks absolutely real. But Merry didn't ride a pony alongside Théoden, Pippin rode with Gandalf and Merry with Aragorn (or was the opposite? Anywy is in The Two Towers, book III, begining of chapter XI - The Palantir). After, he rode to the Pelennor with Eowyn/Dernhelm. So I think is more a vignette of the happy days Théoden could have had after the defeat of Sauron if he hadn't died in the Pelennor. Sorry to be picky roll

Last edited by Arthadan (Thu, Feb11 2010 8:33am)

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#3 Thu, Feb11 2010 11:47am

hsf62
Master Caster

Who cares who rode with whom...lol
Nicely painted, that's what counts...wink

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#4 Thu, Feb11 2010 12:25pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I really like scenes like those you've made it David... simply peaceful.... wink !!!!!

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#5 Thu, Feb11 2010 12:40pm

erchamion
Adventurer

Simple and very nice!, taking advantage of the pose and gaze direction of the figures ....smile

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#6 Thu, Feb11 2010 11:24pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Arthadan wrote:

Very nice painting! I specially like the pony, it looks absolutely real. But Merry didn't ride a pony alongside Théoden, Pippin rode with Gandalf and Merry with Aragorn (or was the opposite? Anywy is in The Two Towers, book III, begining of chapter XI - The Palantir). After, he rode to the Pelennor with Eowyn/Dernhelm. So I think is more a vignette of the happy days Théoden could have had after the defeat of Sauron if he hadn't died in the Pelennor. Sorry to be picky roll

Oops, I got my chapters wrong and was a bit out of sequence - the pitfall of not checking first hmm

Theoden and Merry are described as chatting in the first few paragraphs of 'The Muster of Rohan' where Merry is described as riding his his little shaggy grey pony (I got the colour wrong yikes) alongside Theoden telling him about his home and the doings of the Shire-folk etc. This was the scene I had in mind, I just thought my memory was better than it was having read the book last year smile.

Anyhow, glad you enjoyed it, by my reckoning I have another three dio's to complete in the next week or so, so watch this space.

#7 Fri, Feb12 2010 10:36am

Arthadan
Traveller

My bad, Master ddaines. I had forgoten that scene completely. Time to read again my favourite books.

Keep the good work!

wink

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#8 Fri, Feb12 2010 6:46pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Arthadan wrote:

My bad, Master ddaines. I had forgoten that scene completely. Time to read again my favourite books.

Keep the good work!

wink

No worries Arthedan, so had I, I was convinced my original statement was correct big_smile I was panicing double checking that i had read it somewhere.

#9 Thu, Apr15 2010 1:30am

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Nice David!

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

Board footer