Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, Dec26 2010 9:15pm

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Need some help

Masters of the MMP, need your knowledge of the mithril range!

I´m again on the way to increase my (little) collection of mithril miniatures, and want to go little by little (a lot to paint), so:

Wich miniatures do you considere in your opinion as the best, or classic, or "must have" in a collection?

I´ll search for them

Thanks a lot, and merry christmas to all!

Edit: don´t know if there is the right place to post this thread...

Last edited by elroi (Sun, Dec26 2010 9:16pm)

#2 Sun, Dec26 2010 10:22pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: Need some help

Huoommm ... as this is the hardest questions ever put here ... rhuoommm ... I'm afraid I cannot be of any help with this, as I couldn't answer your question not even for myself ... rhuoomm ... but to find out the links at the top of this page might be useful ... there's a database, a gallery and some things more .... huoommm ... err, Master Elroi, please don't tell Master Barliman that I gave a word here ... rhuooommmm ... I'm still the silent Christmas Tree .... huoommm ...

#3 Sun, Dec26 2010 10:37pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Master Christmas Tree is right. This is the hardest questions ever put here.
Nevertheless I am on a travel to find a similar answer. But there must be a plural: best figures.
I often thought  "they" could only be found between 1 and 100. But this isn´t true!
You have to focus on the different races too. There are fantastic orcs, marvellous elves, great humans and so on . . .
It changes also. You see a photograph of a figure and you constat a so-and-so status. After holding the same figure in your hand you came to the conclusion,
that it is one of the most important ones . . .

I will help ypu with that question, but you have to give me a little time.
Still enjoy the peaceful days, Master elroi.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#4 Mon, Dec27 2010 11:44am

hsf62
Master Caster

I would say have a look at the race you prefer first. Then go through the gallery and pick  the one, two, three....
and then go over to the other races.
I believe there are many important figures, but to be important depends only on the person the figure is important to.
The figures important to me, might not at all appear important to you! wink

Last edited by hsf62 (Mon, Dec27 2010 11:44am)

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#5 Mon, Dec27 2010 9:22pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

..... it is to hard to give you any advice.... the nearest words to the right advice are those from Master Turambar... but connected with your painting skills I could suggest you to paint some personalities figures especially some of MS range... like Cirdan or corsair admiral.... or Eowyn... but you know better !

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#6 Mon, Dec27 2010 10:44pm

shadyt
Traveller

Since I have painted two or three of most of the orcs, trolls, half-orcs and half-trolls, I will make a few sugestions: for half-orcs I would paint the M179 and M180, they have the most areas to shadow and the chance to handpaint the standard without any pre-existing design. For Half-trolls, I suggest the MS536 Angmar standard bearer, there is a lot of detail that you can work with. Also the m149 is one of my favorite poses, as are the M20, M45 and M308B.

I hope that you have as much fun painting these as I did!

#7 Mon, Dec27 2010 10:48pm

shadyt
Traveller

Also Elroi,
There is a painting contest for the White Council. You should check out the thread for it here on MMP.

#8 Wed, Dec29 2010 1:47am

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

Thanks a lot for the replies (master Theobald included, even he didn´t speak a single word... roll)

Mmmm, I agree with all, is a difficult question (that´s why asked big_smile ). Anyway, I will accept your personal choices as advices.

I have been searching a lot in the database tonight, and that is a first approach of miniatures of my taste:

M327: love Frodo and Sam disguised as orcs!!
M185: The ents are soooo great designed miniatures. I specially like the old Threebeard
M158: these dwarfs are very dinamic, and different of the typical dwarf warrior
M145: Mouth of sauron… nothing else to say
M175: One of the most beautiful miniatures, for my taste
M83: so important in the third age… and love the scene
MS225: very elegant
M97: what a cute thing (in a weird way)
M247: Cool elf warrior

Shadyt, thanks for the specific references. I´m a big fan of the bad guys (orcs, half-orcs, trolls....), and have several of them. I specially likes M178 (Uglúk White-Hand Orc).

I think I will not have enough time to paint the white council for the contest, but is an awesome scene (as the unexpected party... great!) so I´ll buy it soon

#9 Tue, Jan11 2011 4:49pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

My own view (rather belatedly) is that it's best to buy the ones you like the most, and the best way to determine which ones you like the most is to look through the database of images on this site.

Obtaining them will be another kettle of fish entirely (as we say here in Bree). Many are very rare now, and expensive even if they do appear on eBay or similar auction sites. So the dpeth of your pockets may be another deciding factor! But good luck with your searching - after all, the hunt is half the fun of this collecting lark.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

Board footer