Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Mon, Dec19 2011 8:36am

Mornedhel
Traveller

My new paintings for years

Hi

I have not touch my brushes for years now. However this forum gives me an “excuse” to start again and to check if my old Windsor oil painting tubes are still ok. As first snow start to fall, I have done an attemps this week end.

I am far away from many of your painting standard but critics are welcome for improvements.

Mornedhel

Click to close Click to close

#2 Mon, Dec19 2011 9:09am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: My new paintings for years

I have only one comment.... To draw a large eye on such a small figure is completely unnecessary... ! The rest is for me just fine ...

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Wed, Jan4 2012 12:35pm

elroi
Master of Brushes
Website

I agree with master Thingol, big eyes don´t fit very well on mithril miniatures.

Another thing that I do much in my miniatures is start with dark tones and exaggerate the highligths and edges of different surfaces (clothes, weapons)

#4 Fri, Feb17 2012 8:45am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Maybe you are a bit too unconcentrated. You posted twice . . .
Anyway- a very useful link. Thank you very much!

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#5 Fri, Feb17 2012 7:00pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

it's an orc, of course, and Master Turambar just was making fun of that ... our dear Elf will see soon enough, once he's online again and will take action ... no need to worry ...

#6 Sat, Feb18 2012 10:58am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

... so he was, but he didn't take any action ... I just sorted out the IP of that orc ... you want me to give him/her/it a nice kick ? maybe our Elf is a bit busy with different things ...

#7 Sun, Feb19 2012 1:25pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Mornedhel wrote:

Hi

I have not touch my brushes for years now. However this forum gives me an “excuse” to start again and to check if my old Windsor oil painting tubes are still ok. As first snow start to fall, I have done an attemps this week end.

I am far away from many of your painting standard but critics are welcome for improvements.

Mornedhel

A change is as good as a rest Mornedhel, welcome back to the world of painting big_smile. The figures look fine, but I would not worry about trying to paint eyes as subtle shading can often be just effective especially with Chris's figures. They do look a little large, but the important thing is as long as you have enjoyed painting the miniatures you can always refine your techniques. Try looking at the figures from a 'scale distance', a man that size you wouldn't see the eyes.

I look at an early Barliman figure I painted many moons ago with eyes, now I cannot even get close to achieving anything like it at this scale. Few painters imo can realistically paint eyes at this scale, so don't worry too much wink.

#8 Sun, Feb19 2012 2:43pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Ahh ... you painted Master Baliman, David ... alas, I thought the carnival was over ... though he looks nice behind the bar now ... frowning a bit, alright, but nevertheless being attractive in his blue and white striped shirt and his white apron and the funny red cap on ... LR31 that is I imagine.

#9 Sun, Feb19 2012 6:03pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Theobald wrote:

Ahh ... you painted Master Baliman, David ... alas, I thought the carnival was over ... though he looks nice behind the bar now ... frowning a bit, alright, but nevertheless being attractive in his blue and white striped shirt and his white apron and the funny red cap on ... LR31 that is I imagine.

I had a hell of a job keeping him from struggling lol

#10 Tue, Feb21 2012 2:11pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

(orc has been dealt with wink )

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

Board footer