Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 Tue, May29 2012 8:50pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Re: Beregond and the Troll

Thank you Master Brown, and welcome back.

I have now sent Michael the photos so let's see if they get disqualified lol

#52 Tue, May29 2012 10:34pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

I will do the same tomorrow!!!! lol
And I certainly know: I will be disqualified . . . lol

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#53 Wed, May30 2012 6:16am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Turambar wrote:

I will do the same tomorrow!!!! lol
And I certainly know: I will be disqualified . . . lol

This is magnificent decision Master Turambar..... smile

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#54 Wed, May30 2012 9:08am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I am curious to see what came out from your creativity MAster Turambar. May I request you show us something ? roll

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#55 Wed, May30 2012 10:40am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Michael just sent me a message saying "I can extend it until Friday next week."
Good news for me and other competitors. cool

Last edited by Milo (Wed, May30 2012 4:11pm)

#56 Wed, May30 2012 11:07pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Milo wrote:

I am curious to see what came out from your creativity MAster Turambar. May I request you show us something ? roll

Unfortunately I won´t  show here anything anymore.
I noticed a lack of interest which induce me to this decision.

The raft elves already weren´t show here. Not noticed by anybody . . .

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#57 Thu, May31 2012 6:19am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Well, it's hard to notice something when it isn't there to notice.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#58 Thu, May31 2012 8:06am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Theobald wrote:

Huoommm ... as for another matter, I would like you ladies and gentlemen to have a look at the Mithril Gallery here again ... rhhuoomm ... I saw that there Master Gildor provided a picture of Master Turambar's latest diorama ... huoomm ... that extraordinary and most excellent version of the "raft elves", a so much wonderful piece ... rhuoommm ... I still admire how he managed to catch the atmosphere, including the views from below water-surface ( !!! ) ... huoomm ... I do like that one so very much that I dare to make you aware of that  .... gruuommhuom ... unfortunately there's only one picture, and that one doesn't reveil all those details well-enough ... huoomm ... I'm glad he did not use sweets to build that diorama, by the way .... huoommm...

Your friend the Tree posted it (post #1696) in your pony, Master Barliman.

#59 Thu, May31 2012 8:34am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Well, I missed that ref at the time (sadly I do have other things to do, as well as minding the Pony). But I can't find anything about Raft Elves in the Gallery when I look now - hence my comment that there is nothing to notice. Is it hidden under some other heading? Or have you deleted it?

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#60 Thu, May31 2012 8:44am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Master Barliman, you have to take a look at the "collector´s gallery".

#61 Thu, May31 2012 9:29am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

OK, finally found it, and it's very nice. The water is brilliant. A very clever vignette, well-imagined and perfectly executed. Love the pose of the guy reaching out to get hold of the stray barrel.

But if you're judging people's interest by the number of "hits" that's shown, you shouldn't. It said "1 hit" before I looked at it, and it still says "1 hit".

#62 Thu, May31 2012 10:41pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Master Barliman,
I am NOT judging people's interest by the number of "hits" that's shown in the collector´s gallery.
Sorry- I am not that simple.
I know about this "mistake" with "1hit" happened till the beginning. Instead of other people I have a look around there regular.

No- posting there is the RESULT.
I am judging people's interest here- inside MMP and its sub-threads.
As far as I am concerned I am simply very much disappointed.
I once thought being part of this community, people following the same hobby,having the same passion is simply unique.
But it isn´t! Instead I recognize a disrespectful and unpolite behaviour and this appears strange.

Being a member in other forums I never realize this behaviour.

So- I really love mithril, especially the art of Chris Tubb. That´s the reason I won´t retire at all as others did.
And that´s the reason I will post in the collector´s gallery only.

Maybe you will understand my point of view Master Barliman.

Last edited by Turambar (Thu, May31 2012 10:45pm)

#63 Fri, Jun1 2012 6:30am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

It's a great shame that you feel that way, Master Archer, and I don't understand why you do, but so be it.

#64 Fri, Jun1 2012 6:35am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

....I think it should not be the topic for this forum.... We all want to see your picture, dear friend. It does not matter whether here or in the your part of the gallery....

#65 Sun, Jun3 2012 10:13am

Ori
Traveller

I do not undestand the matter of the problem you are exposing Turambar, but maybe because I missed something from the past years, or it is just that lack of knowledge of the english lenguage.

Anyway, I love the raft diorama. The underwater it is just perfect. I like the mood in your dioramas created by using real wooden stuff. It makes them so real and tenebrous as well as a bit sad at the same time....

#66 Sun, Jun3 2012 7:19pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I propose to go back to MS574 topic.
I nearly achieved characters painting. Base is fine. I will work on shields now.

Really a great pleasure to paint this vignette. Almost as good excitement I had painting MB279 19 years ago

Last edited by Milo (Mon, Jun4 2012 8:32am)

#67 Wed, Jun6 2012 12:25pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

ddaines wrote:

Barliman wrote:

Er, one minor observation - shouldn't Pippin's helmet have black rather than white wings? - "a high-crowned helm with small raven-wings on either side", says JRRT. Yes, I know - I'm being picky, but that's me. Otherwise it's a masterpiece as ever, though I can't help but wonder once again where on Ea you find the room to store all these impressive dioramas, let alone display them!

They shall be changed to black Barli smile, glad you picked up on that as I would never have remembered it. Good job I haven't sent them off as official entries.
(, but somehow I manage big_smile.

I wonder if Beregond's helmet should have black wings also. Can anyone confirm this ?

Last edited by Milo (Wed, Jun6 2012 1:25pm)

#68 Wed, Jun6 2012 1:05pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

JRRT's description of Minas Tirith's guards is a bit ambiguous. The 'narrator' tells us that only "the Guards of the Citadel before the Court of the Fountain" wore helmets set with white wings, while Beregond tells Pippin that he is a "plain man at arms of the third Company of the Citadel"; but since he also calls himself a "man at arms of the Guard of the Tower", some have surmised that perhaps "the Guards of the Citadel before the Court of the Fountain" were a separate body distinct from the general Guards of the Tower (or Citadel).

This may be the case - it would certainly help to explain why Pippin's uniform - ordered for him by Denethor himself, who would surely have known what the Guards should wear - has him issued with a helmet with black raven wings rather than white seabird wings. Perhaps the black wings were worn by the ordinary Guards (not of "the Court of the Fountain"), or perhaps the black wings were an indication of cadet status or something? It's a shame JRRT never got round to explaining it!

But we know that Beregond was a Guard of the Citadel of some sort, so in the absence of any further evidence we have to assume that he wore a white-winged helmet. Er, or not....

Does that help, or does it just confuse the situation further?

Anyone else got a view on this? I've always wondered myself about the mystery of the different-coloured wings....

Last edited by Barliman (Wed, Jun6 2012 1:06pm)

#69 Wed, Jun6 2012 1:15pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Maybe they were like scouts. Or karate masters. They had different wings, depending on the rank.wink from white to black for beginners to master ..... Pipin received the honor of wearing black wings - for honorary warriors.... smile

Last edited by Thingol (Wed, Jun6 2012 1:16pm)

#70 Wed, Jun6 2012 1:23pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I doubt there could be yellow, orange, green , blue , brown wings on any Minath Tirith Helmet big_smilelol

But why not. White wings sounds good from what Barliman wrtoe....
but I painted it black...so what shall I do, back to bruches tonight ?

Last edited by Milo (Wed, Jun6 2012 1:24pm)

#71 Wed, Jun6 2012 4:57pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

It didn't confuse me at all, Master Barliman. - My M199 Guardsmen, of course, wear white feathers, as it was suggested by Master Tolkien. That M196A (Pippin) I painted also wears white feathers, as to me it is logical. He was given the status as a "Guard of the Tower", not by promotion, but because of honour. - Master Tubb, by the way, transferred it brilliantly by giving the length of the feathers the same size as the upper-arm (which means a bit too long for that Pippin) - According to Master Tolkien, Pippin was merited by Denethor with that special gift of armour. - That's it for me. ... alas, a very nice figure that M196A figure is for me

#72 Wed, Jun6 2012 6:59pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Ah, Master Tree, but you haven't taken into account that JRRT describes Pippin's helmet as "a high-crowned helm with small raven-wings on either side" (so you shouldn't have painted his white!). It's this discrepancy, between Pippin's helmet and that of the white-winged helmet of the "Guards of the Citadel before the Court of the Fountain", that's created the problem.

#73 Wed, Jun6 2012 9:11pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... right, Master Barliman, ... huom ... that way you keep me busy with repainting them tiny-metal- things ... gruôm .. I do very much apologise to have  them feathers at Pippin's helmet having not be painted not according to the book ... rhûooômmm ... alas ... I painted that fumbly-hobbit-metal thing in the early 70s ... rhuoomm ... so you want me to re-paint all of them figures? ... nay, I say ... though ...  rhuoomm ... er, though ... you might be right .... huoommm .... alas ... there's just something that springs into my mind ... rhuoommm ...

#74 Wed, Jun6 2012 9:22pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

It depends on whether it bothers you or not. As you say, it would be more logical if the feathers on Pippin's helmet were white like we presume (we're never actually told) that Beregond's are - but it's Master Tolkien's fault if they're not, so blame him! And of course, it's always possible that Beregond's feathers should be black too, if he isn't himself actually one of the "Guards of the Citadel before the Court of the Fountain", but only a "Guard of the Tower".

#75 Wed, Jun6 2012 11:04pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

. . . maybe they have red wings . . .

Board footer