Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Mar12 2008 8:33pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

some works with bad background...

Well some of you wanted to see how I paint and as I mentionned in other posts I have problems taking pics with a proper background... So, anyway.. here are some of my works but please don't pay attention to the background...

The MS435 (my pride...) I spent an amazing amount of time on the painting of the base... I discussed a lot with ddaines at the time of this painting... quite some time ago)
Click to close

L024... closeup on a 54mm work
Click to close

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Thu, Mar13 2008 9:40am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: some works with bad background...

wonderful paint-job, Gildor! ... The MS435 is excellent!
You're right about the background, of course.

#3 Thu, Jun5 2008 2:53pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Those ARE amazing pieces of work.

As a quick and dirty background method, get a neutral coloured towel or something and put the miniature on the towel. It reduces the background clutter in your picture and changes the ambient light around the model a bit. Makes it easier to photograph. (And by "easier" I mean "vaguely" - photographing miniatures is the devil's armpit of a task*)

Gavin

* I asked some photographic expert sorts about it. A decent camera with manually adjustable lenses are what you really need. Sadly such things cost oodles of money.  I think I may buy such a thing when I sell the house.

#4 Thu, Jun5 2008 4:29pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

But do you really know what time it takes to take a single photo with such a camera? ... alas ...
I think Gildor's pics are great indeed ... except the backgrounds, of course ... wink

#5 Fri, Jun6 2008 12:55pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Gavin wrote:

photographing miniatures is the devil's armpit of a task

Well said.  It is the bane of many a miniaturist.  roll

#6 Mon, Aug11 2008 8:05am

Axe99
Master of Photos

Great MS435 Gildor - the base is very good, but you shouldn't forget about Sauron, Gil-Galad and Isildur!  Photographing miniatures can be a pain - I recommend an SLR with a dedicated macro lens, and a few different light sources.  On another thread somewhere, someone (sorry - I know I know who it is, am just a bit dopey) mentioned using calendar or poster backgrounds which can work well - although you should make sure the background is a little out of focus unless it's really good to keep the interest in the picture on the miniature) - and the towel as a simpler background is also a good option (go Gavin smile).  If you can, use a tripod with a slow shutter speed and the natural light/effect lights, rather than a flash.

#7 Mon, Aug11 2008 12:51pm

hsf62
Master Caster

The man has spoken!
Look at the M16 falconer and you see, Master axe knows what he's talking about!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#8 Mon, Aug11 2008 1:25pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well since the time I took those pics I got some "material" , I do have a tripod and backgrounds now but well I spend more time painting and building site than taking pics... removing all of them from their glasscase for a little picture can take quite some time... !)
But here are some other OLD pics of my paintings, it was years ago, when I was not yet using enough/lots of drybrushing effets.
this is LO28 Celeborn
Click to close
this is LO4 Aragorn
Click to close
this is M197 Gondorian officer
Click to close

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#9 Mon, Aug11 2008 7:08pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Nice to see the latest images Gildor - You have some nice fine-detail painted on Celeborn's armour wink

#10 Tue, Aug12 2008 3:48am

Axe99
Master of Photos

They might be old, but they're still pretty good Gildor smile.  And yes, we definitely don't want you spending more time taking photos of Mithrils than painting them!

Board footer