Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Thu, Aug7 2014 6:56pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

new generation of glu for assembling and diorama

Maybe some of you (particularly in Germany) already know this product, but I found it in a tinkering shop... nothing to do with figurines but well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmF05nvGyI

I bought one, and plan to test it for gluing parts that do not perfectly match in figurines, but also to fill little holes and paste/glu diorama parts at the same time.

It uses a quite old technology used by dentists called photo-polymerisation, the glu gel will only strenghten and become solid (and perfectly translucid) if light up by an UV light. 

It is also a good thing as this kind of "cyanoacrylate" (a special kind indeed) can be used to repair dishes and anything linked to food because it can stand water, and high temperatures (which the usual cyanoacrylate does not... that's why we can't use cyanoacrylate to repair cup of coffee, unless you plan to never use it again...(the hot water will, in time, dissolve the cyanoacrylate into your ... tea or coffee... and poison you)

I plan to use it on 54mm (andrea) figurines to glue big wings this week end, I'll let you know the result, but probably David Daines or other diorama builders among ourselves may be interested. (the base kit is a bit expensive (I paid it 20€, but the recharge is the same price as regular glu (5-6€), but twice the quantity,  with the advantage that the glu will never dry in the stopper making your glu tube unusable after some months and usually a fourth or a third of the tube goes to the trash....

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Thu, Aug7 2014 9:43pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Re: new generation of glu for assembling and diorama

Sorry- but this is absolutely rubbish Master elf.  lol With my respect.
There is only ONE super XXX mega glue in the whole world and it is this:

Click to close

You also need only the tube, nothing else! And a scrumpy-free-mind for not shivering . . .

Last edited by Turambar (Thu, Aug7 2014 9:43pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#3 Thu, Aug7 2014 11:50pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well when it comes to glue you are certainly right master archer but my main purpose here was teh filling of gaps, and holes, on figurines or in diorama making...

and glue is not meant to act as a "filler" ? I tried many two component pastes. (miliput and others too) but they are great for medium-big surfaces, for tiny ones it does not do the job.

as for the apparel, well you only need the stick and a lamp (and the lamp you simply change the batteries once in a while)
I don't know yet , but well, considering I always have to throw my super-glu when the tube is only half empty because the stopper is fully stuck and glued and fixing it would require cutting the edge and loose precision, I have never find any way not to waste 50% of the glu I buy

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#4 Fri, Aug8 2014 6:53am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Interesting.... indeed

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#5 Sat, Aug9 2014 7:07pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Well I tested this Soliq today and I must say it is really incredible. Though you are totally right master Archer... this is not a glu at all (and it does not paste parts together at all actually ;( ... so it must not be used as a glue....

But !  when it comes to fill little gaps, holes, or joints between parts, it does a FAR better job and more easily than any kind of greenstuff ! Why? Because this Soliq is viscous , far more than glu, but also less than greenstuff or glu-gel. so it remains viscous while it fills the little holes and gaps sloowwly, to perfectly adapt its shape to what it fills into, and once the hole is filled and soliq is spreads smoothly, you can light it with UV and in 3-5seconds it becomes solid and strong as if the figurine had always been cast in one piece ! (and it is hard, you can still work it with dremel or any kind of file)

As a side note I met with other guys today who were painting (and who knew Mithril !!! amazing !) and they also knew this Soliq and had begun using it too, also as an alternative for artificial water or crystals, you can mix paint in this soliq, before "lighting it", since it is not glu-ing at all without light, you can work it easily like artificial water. it has quite the same texture , though a bit more liquid.

Well that was my feedback for using it smile  I definitly won't replace my glu with it, but I'll definitly use it for holes/gaps ! that's magic !

Board footer