Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Mon, Jan11 2016 1:47pm

Axel
Collector

Re: Mithril Painter's League 02

I did some experimental painting on Cirdan. The image is gruely, but I am just not good enough for closeup pic painting. From around 30 cm I like him a lot - well, at least the plate, the face is, well, not so good.

http://www.schudak.de/axel/bilder/minis/gallery1/IMG_0781.JPG

I did a couple of more pics, but these were all unusable. I just get used to the new camera.

Sorry that I did not register first nor have images of the miniature before or during painting. Just leave me out of the contest if thats a problem - I just sorted through my collection recently, remembered the "plate armour contest" and painted him up next to my Viking Saga warband and some RPG characters. My first painted Mithril for a couple of years.

As technic I painted the armour black and just brushed it with acryl "silver" (GWs Mithril, actually, a pot I bought 10 years ago which still is perfectly usable and 90% full) and then highlighted it with alcohol based "silver". The face is just washed, and I will probably redo that some day. I will put up some more images soon.

Regarding plate, there are some Burgundians in my gallery that also sport some heavy armour, though they are alas not from Mithril...
http://www.schudak.de/axel/bilder/minis/gallery1/

Last edited by Axel (Mon, Jan11 2016 2:01pm)

#27 Mon, Jan11 2016 2:47pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Here is my work in progress for the Lossarnach infantryman :

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

#28 Mon, Jan11 2016 7:40pm

Maenas
Traveller

@Axel: I would not normally accept a started work, but since we are few, and it is your first painted mithril miniature in 2 years, it is worth enough for me to enter it to the contest. The more the merrier!! And super happy that you painted something mithril. This is also the aim of this "contest", to keep people interests on wink
I painted Cirdan this very last year, it is a nice miniature. I like the highlights on his hair. Take your time with your new camera, I am sure you will find the setting! And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask we all are here to help wink

@Gerold: Nice start!! His gaze is interesting, I normally have problems with the eyes size, but yours seem perfect for me. I see some work on the metallic parts too. Have you planned some highlits on the textiles/skin?

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#29 Tue, Jan12 2016 7:07am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Welcome on board master Axel! It is good to see an alf with full plate.wink

Master Gerold, you show us very nice work in progress. Keep going.
On my side, I was too sick for handling any paint brush, I am late now hmm

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#30 Tue, Jan12 2016 12:57pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Nice work Axel.... also all those miniatures on enclosed link... fine army !

Last edited by Thingol (Tue, Jan12 2016 12:58pm)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#31 Wed, Jan13 2016 11:24am

orc
Adventurer

Nice to see your progress guys!!! and wellcome Master Axel!!!!

Here my progress:

Click to close

My idea was paint this mini like Angus Mc Bride image.... but....Master Maenas put the level very high.....so ...now...I'm thinking to chance totally the colors....and try something different.....sad

Last edited by orc (Wed, Jan13 2016 11:30am)

Click to close

#32 Wed, Jan13 2016 12:34pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I like this color scheme very much. Maybe your plate armour should have more brightness ?
You should also have a look at the sword which seems bended.

#33 Wed, Jan13 2016 2:52pm

Gerold
Adventurer

For the Lossarnach infantryman : I would like to make his legs more dark. And I think I'm going to leave his face as it is. Maybe a beard...

To master orc: choosing the right colors is a challenge on its own already ; but I don't see a problem with your colour scheme. Some highlights can change the look of the figure a lot.

#34 Wed, Jan13 2016 3:42pm

orc
Adventurer

Yes Master Milo bended sword and the armour is not finish yet...
Master Gerold....a different color for pants?

! I'm going to follow my previous idea using ...Angus MCbride Art as a reference:

Click to close

Click to close

#35 Thu, Jan14 2016 1:09pm

Maenas
Traveller

I have just primed the mini! I hope to start soon or I will be out of time LOL (I think I will have enough time to advance and maybe finish this weekend)

@orc: what's the problem with that colour scheme? I love Angus McBride art!!

To paint metals we have two paths available, one is TMM (True Metallic Metal) and the other is NMM (Non Metallic Metal).
With the first method (TMM) you paint metals with paints that have metallic or shiny pigments/flocked/molt in them, like on Axel's above example.
With the second (NMM) method, you will use normal/flat paint and by the ways of colour selection, light placement, contrast and reflections you will try to reproduce the look of a reflective surface like if it were shining.

To me, mithril's look better when done with the true metallic metal path. But the NMM method if well executed can give spectacular results (but indeed this is above my actual skills ^^').

I was just commenting this because I though it could be interesting to you, don't know if you already knew those paths or not. If you do, just ignore the post, if you don't, well now you have some research to do wink

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#36 Thu, Jan14 2016 1:16pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

. . . the THIRD path is, to use THE REAL material!
That means you strip off mithril´s undercoat and give the real material a thin and very liquid layer of black colour.
I use some brown tones ( burned siena and burned umbra in that case) for some rusty effects too- mostly on orcish stuff.
After that I use very fine sanding paper to come back to the real material at those parts which I wanted to highlight.

Last edited by Turambar (Thu, Jan14 2016 1:17pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#37 Thu, Jan14 2016 1:53pm

orc
Adventurer

Wow....very interesting information!!! Thanks very much Master Maenas and Master Turambar!!!!smile Nice to be be part of this painters league many chances to learn new things and improve skills.wink

I'm going to choose go with TMM...I think is more simple hehehe and you know the orcs....we prefere easy ways...so the idea is.... after paint the armour in Golden Color and I give a wash with brown ink.... mix the golden color with white to do it more bright, paint the prominent areas...and give the last lights with white....what do you thing?

for the rest of the cloth...I'm thingkin to use dark colors for the tunic...like for example.... dark blue or grey/blue may be dark green and for the pantas and shirt.....light grey,Im considering too paint the Cardolan emblem hill with seven stars in his back ....roll

Last edited by orc (Thu, Jan14 2016 1:55pm)

Click to close

#38 Thu, Jan14 2016 8:09pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

orc wrote:

Wow....very interesting information!!! Thanks very much Master Maenas and Master Turambar!!!!smile Nice to be be part of this painters league many chances to learn new things and improve skills.wink

See also this topic Master Orc.... http://mmp.faerylands.eu/viewtopic.php?id=98&p=1

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#39 Sat, Jan16 2016 2:09pm

Maenas
Traveller

That was a fantastic thread Thingol!! I was in one of my travels far away from this forums and I did not read it before, but it has great info!!

@Turambar: true! that's another way of doing it ^^

@Master orc:
You can try to wash it all as you say and then add in deeper shadows on specific places, you'll get a nicer result! Your idea of that gold looks good, you can also try to mix gold and silver and see what happens... I would keep the plain white for the extreme highlights only, but I think this was already your plan.

And I am aware now, that I did not post a single picture when I thought I did!! LOL
So I will do it now even if it is only for the starting point. ^^'  This miniature came straight to me from Milo's Attic on November 2014 wink thank you my dear hobbit!!

This is m247 The elf-warrior of Nargothrond, just as it came to me next to it is the next stage were I polished, clean the moldlines and slighty primed him with the AB and brush.
Click to close

The idea behind the slight primer layer is to not loose a single detail behind a thick layer of primer. wink

Last edited by Maenas (Sat, Jan16 2016 2:16pm)

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#40 Mon, Jan18 2016 7:20pm

Maenas
Traveller

Sorry for double posting!

This weekend was quite mithril intensive, I pushed the fast forward button and almost finished the miniature, I tooked some pics of the process for all of you interested in it...

I started adding a little sandpaste and some bigger "rocks" to the base to add a little bit of variation within the base limitations (same last time), then worked all the metals with scale75 metal'n alchemy steel set paints for a shiny/polished TMM kind of look. Next I simply washed the base with GW Agrax Earthshade to make everything on it to stand out a bit. Followed by the eyes, the face and hair. As always I fought with the eyes to make them look correct.... then shifted to the cape "outer side", which I wanted to work in blue colours, followed by the inner part of the cap, in which I experimented a lot with the texture, painting a first layer of a leatherette brown and then dabbing with a sponge (foam from a blister) and some red-brown and black inks, then added some very thin lines of a light beige in between the layers of inks. At some point in between the inner part of the cape and the face I worked the wings on the helmet in a nice range of brown-greys.

And all of this words needed an image to sum it up so here it comes:
Click to close

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#41 Mon, Jan18 2016 7:54pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Looking nice wink

#42 Mon, Jan18 2016 8:28pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Very nice!wink

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#43 Mon, Jan18 2016 10:15pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Well, it seems, that not only Master Maenas pushed the forward bottom last weekend. Me too- because it was a snowy weekend.
As it is a re-paint project I wanted to hold on to the blue- ish colour of the coat from the past.
But I decided to take another blue tone this time, indigo in this case and mixed it with "raw umber" and a bit of "golden ockre".
I used "burned and raw umber" for the dirt and also some white.
For the black colour of the coat´s back side I took "black iron oxid" instead of "ivory black" as it seems to be "warmer" while shading it with white.
Unfortunatley the "glance" is to much and there are lots of more reflections on it.
While doing the work on "thinner that coat" I grapped the thin layers of black colour so much, that the look of the metal parts become really "used".

Click to close

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#44 Tue, Jan19 2016 9:32am

Maenas
Traveller

Turambar wrote:

Unfortunatley the "glance" is to much and there are lots of more reflections on it.

Maybe you can correct it with a layer of matte varnish?

I have always had envy of how you managed desaturated colours that nicely.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#45 Tue, Jan19 2016 2:28pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Looks like you won the fight with the eyes, master Maenas...
Good idea to use a foam sponge, it gives a nice result. That's something I will try to do myself some day...

#46 Tue, Jan19 2016 5:20pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I see many very nice works in progress here. cool
I also managed to paint 2hours this week-end.
I go for NMM, let's see at the end if it is a good choice or not.
The threat for me will be I need more time than 2 weeks.hmm

#47 Mon, Jan25 2016 7:49am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I managed to do some painting yesterday.
I am facing non expected problem with my red paints (3 pots) which all turned bright (I don't know why).
here is my work in progress:
Click to closeClick to close

I am late, so I fear I shall only focus on mini & forget about little diorama I have in mind.hmm

Last edited by Milo (Tue, Jan26 2016 7:26am)

#48 Mon, Jan25 2016 11:55am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Er, sorry Milo, but I think you also should concentrate on taking better pictures as there is nothing much that can be seen in those two you provided. - Sorry again, I know it's always easier to criticize when you yourself (which in this case is me) is not involved in the matters you criticize. - So, take this with a laugh, please.

#49 Mon, Jan25 2016 12:20pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Indeed, I have done wrong upload here and checked "resize" option. I will correct this tonight. Thanks for the highlight master ent.wink

#50 Tue, Jan26 2016 7:34am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Master Ent picture are uploaded again.
Please note that Zalg is not finished at all. I need to solve bright red issue, work more on NMM, paint the cape, clean all details, add highlights everywhere...

Board footer