Announcement

#1 Thu, Nov5 2009 9:32am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Born of Hope...

I thought it could be a good idea to give the link to this wonderful project :
http://www.bornofhope.com/

This is a fan-made movie (like Hunt for Gollum) that should be released in December... a very great and ambitious project
It's about Aragorn parents Arathorn, Gilraen... and well...how Aragorn was born and ended up in Rivendell
You can see trailers on the site

I hope you like it

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Thu, Nov5 2009 9:54am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: Born of Hope...

I have already seen this ... great thing! This will be an information link to all kids who still have not read the books....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Thu, Nov5 2009 11:00am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

I have already seen this, too. Good idea to place the story. Good idea to give us this link, Master Gildor!

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#4 Sun, Nov8 2009 7:46am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Christope, this looks like it will be a great fan-film. I see a similarity between these fan works and ICE's MERP system, which was licensed by TE, of course; and gave rise to our beloved Mithrils. Still, it is a creative expression based upon Tolkien's works, if not exactly written by him.

Last edited by twrich (Sun, Nov8 2009 7:48am)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#5 Sun, Nov8 2009 3:38pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Indeed. Some of their "historical" choices seem a bit questionable, but I'll still be downloading it.

Be fun to stat up the characters too. Might do a sequel to the Hunt for Gollum thing I helped out on.

#6 Sun, Nov8 2009 5:18pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

a prequel I'd say,  in Born of Hope, Aragorn is - at best - two years old smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#7 Tue, Nov24 2009 3:29pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I've been watching this project slowly develop over the past umpteen months. It looks as if it will be very good.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#8 Wed, Dec2 2009 4:27pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Watched the first 22 minutes of it last night.

Definitely weaker than The Hunt for Gollum - there's more characters and threads of plot running around, and the acting is weaker. It's still well done. But it certainly makes one appreciate the movies more. The movie actors didn't merely sell their roles with clever dialogue and wonderful emoting, they also did it with body language. When Viggo Mortensen or Sean Bean lift a sword, they do it with the casual manner of one long used to carrying such a thing - and with a craftsman's awareness of his tool. When Aragorn crouches down to find something on the trail, he does so with an economy of movement that suggests that he is well used to doing so.

The actors here fail to do these sort of things, probably without noticing that they were failing. Thing should have been workshopped a lot more.

The other issue is the writing. There is a narrator, and there is dialogue. Oddly, despite what the critics say, Tolkien never really over-wrote. He'd never use 10 words when 8 would do. (He wasn't Hemmingway, but who is?). Some of the narration and dialogue is just too wordy.

Still, it looks great. And they made a no-budget movie look a million dollars. Jackson should hire these people.

Gavin

#9 Sat, Jun5 2010 1:27pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Finally got round to watching it the other day, and found it sufficiently entertaining to hold my attention to the end, though iot has to be said it dawdles along rather slowely in a couple of places. One or two of the actors were particularly good in their roles, most notably Arathorn, Gliraen and the Ranger lady. The Troll, however, should never have got through his audition.

Though both are admirable productions, bearing in mind the amateur status of most of the people involved, on balance I think that 'The Hunt for Gollum' is the better of the two.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

Board footer