Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, Aug20 2010 6:54am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

In which I rant about painting.

I recently moved to beautiful British Columbia, full as it is of Australians,* and after several weeks of disruption and annoyance, I decided to turn my hand to painting.

I started by trying my hand at some GW Rangers of Middle Earth figures. This was not successful. These figures actually have a lot of detail. Which got lost under my first attempt to use GW foundation flesh paint.

Tonight I tried my hand at some Rohirrim figures (again GW - I am not experimenting on any mithrils).

I've a trick for some nice outdoorsy flesh tones: start with Vallejo flat brown, add in vallejo flat flesh and mix. Then add more flat flesh as highlights until it gets rather pale. Then add in a bit of basic flesh tone until the whole lot is done. I went back to this method for these four figures.

This has refused to work. The paint remains wetter than normal, and the brushes tend to drag the paint in a really weird way across their features. Some of this is new brushes which aren't much good (though one is really expensive) and some of it is lack of practice. And some is...arggghhh!

This is really frustrating.

Any of ye in damper climes have some other successful methods?

Gavin

* Also, lots of Chinese, Brits and even the occasional Canadian.

Last edited by Gavin (Fri, Aug20 2010 6:55am)

#2 Fri, Aug20 2010 8:07pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Re: In which I rant about painting.

I think Vancouver has the largest 'Chinatown' anywhere on earth outside of China.  This means, of course, quality Take Out.  Otherwise you could try Vallejo thinner which would help it dry faster.  Depending on the temperature and humidity I have to adjust things when using acrylics.  As an aside, I tend not to use the GW or Dalimoore methods (dark to light).  Instead I opt to give a slightly darker base coat, medium tones, with a final touch of highlights. The final step is a wash with oils (yes, highly thinned oil paint either black or brown).  Works for me but takes practice.

#3 Sat, Aug21 2010 3:41am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

The china town is pretty good

Well, this morning I experimented again with GW's foundation flesh - I put on the foundation flesh paint, then a highlight of it and bleached bone, then the new flesh wash, with extra bleach bone in future highlights.

Not bad, though nowhere near as good as i was getting before. Though I have mostly painted a GW Aragorn figure just because. But still, this was a pain in the backside. The current method will just have to do for now.

I also need new paintbrushes.

Gavin

#4 Tue, Aug24 2010 4:00pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Gavin wrote:

I also need new paintbrushes.

That's half the battle right there.

As for methods, you don't want to ask the Slowest Painter Ever.  big_smile

Last edited by Wendy (Tue, Aug24 2010 4:01pm)

#5 Tue, Aug24 2010 5:14pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

I bought a...whisper it.... a Citadel paint brush which is mildly better than the last one. Going to hunt down an art store today and pick up a few more.

Though I am getting to the point that I can officially paint a Mithril again. Whee.

Board footer