Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sat, Jun5 2010 1:40pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

THE HOBBIT MOVIE

For those who don't know, the eagerly awaited "Hobbit" movie has hit a snag. Well, several snags truth to tell. Firstly, and most dangerously perhaps, MGM have still not given a green light for filming to start. Er, which is hardly surprising because they're 4 billio (yes, billion) dollars in debt, and have been trying to find a buyer for the past six months or more. And haven't. Well, would you want to buy a company that's already dug itself a hole that deep?

So, they're now considering breaking up their assets (principally the Tolkien franchise, the James Bond franchise, and their back-catalogue of over 4,000 movies) and selling the pieces individually to the highest bidder. This may not be a problem if the Hobbit project finds a sympathetic buyer, but if it's a company that's more interested in cash than artistic integrity the movie could be in for a rough ride. If it gets made at all.

And there's also the issue of who will produce it, because, sick of all the delays, Guillermo del Toro has jumped ship and will no longer be involved with the project. That doesn't worry me too much - I was never enamoured of the notion of him producing the film(s) in the first place, but as they always say, better the devil you know than the devil you don't know. But finding a suitable producer could prove quite a challenge if Jackson himself can't/won't find the time.

So, it will be interesting to see how things pan out from here on in. But whatever happens, we're all going to be quite a few years older before "the Hobbit" ever hits a cinema screen.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#2 Sat, Jun5 2010 2:40pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: THE HOBBIT MOVIE

See, Master Baliman, that's why I wanted to have that "Unexpected Party" at my home in time.
Of course, I didn't have to spend billions of coiny things for that ... but nevertheless, they're here ... and to be honest, I didn't want to produce a movie ... just wanted to have a set of figures, sculpted with passion by The Man, reveiling how it all began ... rhuoomm ... so to me that's all there is ... huoomm

#3 Wed, Jun9 2010 5:11am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

My good ESTEL, the answer is "yes," to both of your questions!!!

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#4 Mon, Aug9 2010 11:09pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Just read on The One Ring web site....

'Over at The Noldor Blog, there is serious speculation as to a potential announcement regarding The Hobbit around August 21st.  And if so, indications suggest it would be a positive announcement for fans.

The blog mentions how the Weta Cave is shutting for five days, then closing again a week later for what is called a “very secret private function”.  In addition, a large amount of  Lord Of The Rings / Hobbit sets and props are being pulled from storage, apparently in a somewhat urgent nature.   Contacts he has spoken to feel an announcement is imminent and that the morale there is very high.

While this confirms nothing, it does open a window of possibility that something is afoot.  At the excellent The Frodo Franchise site, Kristin Thompson has added some of her thoughts on the matter as well.  What do the TORN readers think?  Talk about it on the message boards!
'

#5 Tue, Aug10 2010 6:09am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Yet another rumour, I suspect, but it would be nice if it did mean something is afoot. On the other hand, I doubt that scenery will be rushing anywhere until a director has been appointed... Nor am I sure what the Weta Cave (the studio shop, which is absolutely tiny) has got to do with anything in terms of filming. Maybe they're just stocktaking! But we shall see.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#6 Wed, Aug11 2010 6:59am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well, if you have the same site in english or french wink that'll be useful indeed wink

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#7 Fri, Oct22 2010 5:47pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I see that the Hobbit movies (yes, movies) have finally, officially, got the green light, that Peter Jackson is to be Director, and that the role of Bilbo has been cast to one Martin Freeman - not an especially well known actor, though I do vaguely recognise his face; most importantly, he does have an eerie likeness to a younger version of Ian Holm!

#8 Fri, Oct22 2010 7:04pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

But I think, Master Freeman is a good choice. Let´s wait for Master Bowie in the role of Thranduil !

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#9 Fri, Oct22 2010 7:53pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

That would be interesting...

#10 Sat, Oct23 2010 12:48am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Sounds like there are problem filming in New Zealand, hopefully the can be resolved.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#11 Sat, Oct23 2010 7:02am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Yes, the unions are kicking up a fuss. It seems as if it's justified too. If a settlement can't be reached there's been talk of filming in the Balkans instead. Perhaps some of my patrons in the Pony could get bit parts!

#12 Sat, Oct23 2010 8:32am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

.... I hope that this was last obstacle... and Hobbit will be soon in our cinemas... after all...

and what about Bowie Master Archer... which Bowie... that Bowie... David Bowie... will singing Thranduil's songs on elvish fiesta... ... smile

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#13 Sat, Oct23 2010 8:40am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Thingol wrote:

.... I hope that this was last obstacle... and Hobbit will be soon in our cinemas...

"Soon" seems unlikely. There was always talk of it being about three years between the start of filming and the movie arriving in our cinemas, and filming isn't planned to start until next February. Since the "tradition" is for Tolkien films to open in December, I'd guess that will mean they'll aim at release in December 2013.

And there remain many opportunities for slips between cup and lips...

#14 Sat, Oct23 2010 10:21am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

.. that's not so far Master Barli.... 2013 in good conditions is only 1000 days and with good health and this is soon smile after all smile

#15 Sat, Oct23 2010 10:50am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Now that's what I call a positive way of thinking, Master Thingol. I wish I could also see things like that; but I'll try ...wink

#16 Sat, Oct23 2010 11:04am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

That should be easy for an unhasty tree, Master Theobald. I'm afraid I'm more the hasty kind.

#17 Wed, Oct27 2010 8:25am

erchamion
Adventurer

It seems to solve the problems instead of shooting the film: DEFINITELY THE HOBBIT WILL BE MADE IN NEW ZEALAND.

Last edited by erchamion (Wed, Oct27 2010 8:26am)

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#18 Wed, Oct27 2010 1:19pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Damn !  I've dreamed for a second that Hobbit movie shooting will be in Croatia  big_smile

Last edited by Thingol (Wed, Oct27 2010 1:19pm)

#19 Thu, Oct28 2010 11:37am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Oh, after my last heli flyover I must say, that Hobbiton looks great ! cool

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#20 Fri, Jan28 2011 8:13pm

erchamion
Adventurer

¡¡¡¡DANGER!!! ¡¡¡DON´T ANSWER!!! yikesyikesyikes

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#21 Fri, Jan28 2011 9:14pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Thanks for the warning, Master Erchamion. I think he was another orc, so I deleted the posts. If "Shoumoult" wasn't an orc, I apologise, but it certainly wasn't the place for such a topic in the first place.

#22 Mon, Mar21 2011 6:43pm

erchamion
Adventurer

Peter Jackson´s pics from his Facebook page.......smile

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Jac … mp;theater

#23 Mon, Mar21 2011 8:56pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I would like that my house's also like this hobbit hole.... in nature, in unspoiled landscape and without the noise created by the many hidden city orcs....

#24 Mon, Mar21 2011 9:05pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Alas that those days are gone. Nice to see Bag End spruced up, though - it was empty and grubby when I last saw it.

#25 Wed, Mar23 2011 8:49pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Well it's about time, but it's a great relief that the filming of the movie has finally commenced (yesterday). I was beginning to wonder if it would happen in my lifetime!

It's also interesting to note that actors have been cast for the parts of Thrain and Thror, which might suggest that the back-story might be expanded a little - unless these guys are going to have the dubious distinction of only being on screen for as long as it takes them to get killed.

As yet no one has been cast in the significant roles of Bard or the Mayor, which is rather surprising. But I find myself wondering what Jack Black was doing on set yesterday. The Mayor, do you think? Ah well, I expect everything will be revealed in due course.

Board footer