Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, May9 2008 10:17pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

A question for all ye diorama makers...

You know those display bases?

The circular wooden and whatever else things that some people mount smaller diorama scenes on...

Where would one go about buying such a thing?

Gavin

#2 Fri, May9 2008 10:38pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Re: A question for all ye diorama makers...

Sometimes you can get them at craft stores or you can get some wood and a router and make your own!big_smile

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#3 Sat, May10 2008 5:06am

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Hi Gavin,  I agree that craft stores generally sell pinewood plaques in many different sizes which can be used for bases.  But there is also a cottage industry specializing in bases for 54mm historical figures.  Some of these are finely made. and use nicer woods. You might even be able to find them on eBay.

#4 Sat, May10 2008 6:33pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

What would I search ebay under?

#5 Sat, May10 2008 11:19pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

I would look under military figures in hobbies/models and look for a store specializing in historical figures.  Perhaps a search for Pegaso or Andrea figures would do the trick;).  If eBay doesn't pan out I would suggest looking in a copy of the magazine called Fine Scale Modeler.

Last edited by Kenakko (Sat, May10 2008 11:21pm)

#6 Sun, May11 2008 2:46pm

hsf62
Master Caster

I'm so glad I'm a Master carpenter too. I can make these things all by myself. But I guess it wouldn't be worth it to send timber to Canada.sad

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#7 Sun, May11 2008 6:53pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoommm ... or owls to Athens ...

#8 Sun, May11 2008 8:27pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Actually, I'd even be tempted to order two from you and pay you good (well paypal-y) money for it.

Depending on whether you wanted to or not, of course smile

#9 Mon, May12 2008 5:05am

hsf62
Master Caster

This wouldn't be a problem. I just need to know what shape you want.
Round, oval square....
timber species...
thickness of the timber plaques...
what edge profile you would like to have...
finish of the polished timber gloss or satin...
Thats all I need to know for the start.big_smile

If you give me this info, I can give you a price.

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#10 Mon, May12 2008 2:38pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

You could also try a place that sells trophies and plaques.  Sometimes, picture frames work too.

#11 Mon, May12 2008 4:01pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

The weird thing about living in Canada is that we generally have much of the same stores, selling much of the same products - only not quite.

You guys recommended "Easy Off" oven cleaner   for stripping - well we actually have two Easy-Off oven cleaners and neither have the exact ingredient for stripping paint. (the Easy Off that's sold in Europe as Cilit Bang - for some reason - is better, though). Point being - what you might get in your local walmart in the US you might not get here in Canada.

And I am in exile in the middle of nowhere, so there's even less speciality shops. I suspect if I was in Toronto or Vancouver I'd find everything I needed. Montreal's a bit weird for finding things and I am not even in Montreal. smile

So, I need two smallish ones. Both for seven figure dioramas. About an inch high. I will figure out slightly better sizes in a bit.

Gavin

#12 Mon, May12 2008 4:41pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huoomm, calm down, Master Gavin ... you're not the only one living in the middle of nowhere ... you might consider Master Caster's questions ... huoomm ... as for the shape round, oval or square is a serious decision to be mage first .... hom ... then there's the choice of wood to be used ... which is not less difficult because that depends on what you're thinking of ... as it has to match with the idea of the diorama you're going to make .... huoomm .... the finish of the wood should also be seriously considered ... rhuoommm ... with that I would always prefer the satin finish .... huoommmm ... but you could also use an antique wax to brush it in ... that way you will achieve a better 'shine' of the wood and make its structure visible without being dominating ... rhuoomm ... in case you use oak or pine you have a good chance to fit a metal plaque with it .... just having to use very small nails ... but that takes a lot of time and patience...
smile

#13 Mon, May12 2008 9:37pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

As ever, the tree is correct. However my grand plan to work out exactly what I needed went awry. Trying to tidy up the house to let someone view it. So I can sell it and move to a city smile

Gavin

#14 Tue, May13 2008 12:58pm

hsf62
Master Caster

You also can use Pine only and stain it in the colour you want.
Maybee I should just make a few and send you some pics. If you don't like them, I still can use em for myself in the next 100 years.lol

Board footer