Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#76 Mon, May2 2011 6:58am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Re: THE HOBBIT MOVIE

I've not seen or heard of Lee Pace before, and I certainly can't comment on his acting abilities, but he certainly has an "Elvish"-looking face.

I'm more worried about Elrond - Hugo Weaving has at last been seen on the Hobbit set, but there's still no news regarding whether or not he's signed up. I guess he's holding out for The Right Price. After all, he's such an important character in "The Hobbit" that I imagine his agent can wield a pretty big stick.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#77 Mon, May2 2011 8:38am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Unfortunately I wasn't available to take on the role of Fili due to other committments big_smile, but it appears that it was due to 'health' reasons that RK pulled out, but that could cover a multitude of reasons and not necessarily to do with actual health (see The One Ring web site).

As to his acting ability Barli, well I have only seen him as a bit of a ticking bomb character in Eastenders (there, I have admitted that I watch this drivel (on occasion roll).

#78 Mon, May2 2011 11:13am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Oh ye man of little taste....! (I'll give you the benefit of doubt and suppose that it was at Mrs D's behest.)

But are you talking about the ex-Fili, or the new Fili?

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#79 Mon, May2 2011 11:27am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Well, quiet obvious there is a little similarity in the face of Orlando B. and Lee Pace.
So the father-son-aspect is solved in a good way, so to say. Never mind his appearence in "pushing dasies" . . .

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#80 Thu, May5 2011 10:19am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Lee Pace is good looking that's true. Now let's make the movie and stop changing casting all the time!

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#81 Thu, May19 2011 7:31pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Steven Fry has been cast as the Master of Lake Town and a tall stunt man called Conan something or other has been cast as Azog smile See The One Ring site.

#82 Thu, May19 2011 9:20pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Yes, I saw that a few hours ago. Steven Fry is an excellent choice for the Master.

#83 Thu, May19 2011 9:58pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Oh yes, Steven Fry. I like him very much indeed.
And Master Conan is an excellent choice for Azog. Such an orcish skull, this man . . .

Last edited by Turambar (Thu, May19 2011 9:59pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#84 Fri, May20 2011 7:19am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

...Master Conan the Barbarian.... bloody Cimmerian king.... it could be Azog... smile perhaps they could hire Arnold Schwarzenegger... ha also could be Azog lol

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#85 Fri, May20 2011 3:09pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Arnie isn't available for films until further notice as he has been a 'naughty' boy  wink

#86 Mon, May30 2011 9:52am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

White Council and Dol Guldur to feature in The Hobbit (from PJ's offical Facebook blog).

OFFICIAL QUESTION #1

VALERIA KEMENTARI asked, "Are we going to see the White Council attacking Dol Guldor?"

This was quite a popular topic, with JOHN LIDDLE, TOBY PHILLIPS and SETH DONALD, along with many others, asking variations of this same question.

I'm not going to say just what and when, but I will confirm that both the White Council and Dol Guldur will feature in the movies. And not just in one scene either. Just how to visualise it has been a challenge, but fortunately Alan Lee and John Howe went crazy with ideas, and it should look pretty cool.

#87 Mon, May30 2011 9:57am

Milo
The Attic Warden

hé hé hé....

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#88 Mon, May30 2011 10:19am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Inclusion of the White Council and Dol Guldur were a bit of a no-brainer really - how could they NOT be included, since that's what Gandalf was up to throughout the second half of The Hobbit? So I've taken it as read from the outset.

#89 Mon, May30 2011 1:16pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Milo wrote:

hé hé hé....

hé hé hé....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#90 Mon, May30 2011 7:00pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Barliman wrote:

Inclusion of the White Council and Dol Guldur were a bit of a no-brainer really - how could they NOT be included, since that's what Gandalf was up to throughout the second half of The Hobbit? So I've taken it as read from the outset.

well I can easily answer to that... these events takes places during the Hobbit but are not described in the Hobbit... so there was no certainty it would be added as it does not fit the book... now it is a good addition but nothing was certain from start...

After all, the battle of Mirkwood happens during the war of the ring.... and there is no trace of it in the books (except the appendices) and not at all either in the movies...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#91 Mon, May30 2011 7:31pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

I can easily answer to that... these events takes places during the Hobbit but are not described in the Hobbit... so there was no certainty it would be added as it does not fit the book... now it is a good addition but nothing was certain from start... After all, the battle of Mirkwood happens during the war of the ring.... and there is no trace of it in the books (except the appendices) and not at all either in the movies...

Master Gildor, I'm offended! Do you really think I didn't know these events aren't actually described in The Hobbit? Shame on your Elven head!

However, though not described, the White Council's activities (driving Sauron/the Necromancer from Dol Guldur) are alluded to on more than one occasion in the book, as you know, Besides, Jackson has intimated from the outset that such events were key to being able to expand the Hobbit into two movies. Ergo, it was a no-brainer to anyone who's been keeping an eye on all the info (and rumours - no smoke without fire, etc) that has dribbled out from NZ over the past couple of years

#92 Mon, May30 2011 10:25pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

In case anyone didn't know the official names of the two films are:

“THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY” AND “THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN” ARE ANNOUNCED AS TITLES OF PETER JACKSON’S EPIC TWO-FILM ADAPTATION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN’S TIMELESS CLASSIC THE HOBBIT

smile

#93 Mon, May30 2011 10:29pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

T H A N K    Y O U  !
big_smile

#94 Tue, May31 2011 7:03am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Interesting. I wonder how long it will be before they change their minds!

#95 Tue, May31 2011 4:49pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

indeed! big_smile

#96 Fri, Jun17 2011 11:37am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Oh, Master Luke Evans has been casted for Bard, the archer!

And also Master Benedict Cumberbatch. He will give not only Smaug his voice . . . also the Necromancer.

#97 Fri, Jun17 2011 12:09pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Not sure I've ever seen Luke Evans in anything, but Cumberbatch has an appropriately urbane voice for the dragon (I'd have preferred Stephen Fry, but his voice is perhaps a bit too well recognised). Did you see that Sherlock will also be used for "motion capture" to "play" the dragon?

#98 Tue, Jun21 2011 8:19am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Well, "Dame Edna Everage" as the Goblin King should be entertaining...

#99 Tue, Jun21 2011 8:27am

imisel
Collector

As I have read recently, Evangeline Lilly has signed for the role of Tauriel (well  in first moment I hated Tauriel as is a new character that doesn't come for the novel, but for god's sake, IT'S EVANGELINE LILLY !!!! tonguecoolbig_smile - Sooo cute)

Last edited by imisel (Tue, Jun21 2011 8:28am)

Ilsa:A franc for your thoughts.
Rick: In America they'd bring only a penny, and, huh, I guess that's about all they're worth.

CASABLANCA (1942)

#100 Tue, Jun21 2011 8:31am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Yes, I noticed that too, but I have no idea who she is.

Board footer