Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Mon, Jul11 2011 9:07pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

In Moria, in Khazad Dum.... The Balrog awakens

“……They delved too greedily, and too  deep, and disturbed that from which they fled, Durin’s Bane…”

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

The idea behind this was to have a couple of dwarves stumbling upon the 'entombed Balrog' and waking him from his slumber. When I can get some more photos posted you will see that I have attempted to give him a yellowish glow on his chest to give the impression that the fire within him has been awakened.

Originally I was going to create a chamber wall with a hole in it to show where the dwarves had stumbled in while searching for Mithril lodes, but usual story..... roll

In the end I have ended up with something not too dissimilar from what Master Theobald posted photos of, I hope any similarities are purely coincidental.

Images of HoH to be posted when I can download them.

Last edited by ddaines (Wed, Jul13 2011 5:28pm)

#2 Tue, Jul12 2011 7:04am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: In Moria, in Khazad Dum.... The Balrog awakens

Mîm and Ibun figures perfectly fit in this concept of Balrog awakening.... great !!!!!!

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Tue, Jul12 2011 8:46am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Yes, absolutely! And also the stones and rocks look very perfectly.
With greater rocks for the background we will have another great balrog-diorama.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#4 Tue, Jul12 2011 3:35pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Absolutely great, ddaines. I especially like your idea of that hint of a still-glowing fire among the colours you used for the Balrog. - And of course adding those two Dwarves to have a small diorama. I really like that very much.
Thank you for providing the pics, my Balrog-friend. wink

#5 Tue, Jul12 2011 4:24pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

David, You show us again your skills and ideas. Like MAster theobald & Turambar, I love the rocks but your dwarves also deserve a bravo. great Idea to use these here ! cool

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#6 Tue, Jul12 2011 4:57pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Well I wanted to give some scale to the Balrog and as much as I love the original I personally think it is way too big for the 32mm scale figures. Mim and Ibun were the only spare dwarves I had available that looked suitable inasmuch that they didn't have axes, haversacks, armour sculpted on as there would be no need for this.

I did consider scratch building a sword and whip for the Balrog but I wasn't sure if he (assuming it is a Him roll) would have fled with these items or whether once 'free', the orcs may have made these items for him.

Perhaps someone a little less 'hasty' wink might take the time to create a more detailed chamber (hint). Things in hindsight that I would have considered are scattered bones of 'Nameless things' that he has feasted on perhaps.

I do intend to get another one of these Balrogs as I would like to pair him up with Gandalf on the Bridge of Khazad Dum, the biggest pain will be the separation of the arms from the legs though yikes.

Board footer