Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sat, Aug20 2011 7:15pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

In which I plan a Rivendell army

So far I've gotten a completed Woodman warband (around 30 figures or so), at least two Orc warbands (heading for a third) - Dol Guldur and the Grey Mountains; I have a Beorning warband up next. I have two Mirkwood elf forces, and a Lorien elf force. The Mirkwood and lorien guys aren't painted though.

So clearly the obvious thing to do is plan another.

In the last year or so, amongst all the other things I've painted, I painted up a mounted Glorfindel (from the LR series) and two converted Sons of Elrond. Which in SBG terms represents about 300 points. I have found myself using the SBG rules a lot, since people are vaguely familiar with them. But I digress.

To make up the other 300 points requires around about 27 Noldor elf types, preferably divided between hand weapons, spears and archers. And how many Noldor models does the Mithril range contain? Not many. How many are suitable for this idea? Even less.

Now, a sane person would just go and buy 100 dollar's worth of Thunderbolt Mountain High Elves. (I may eventually just do this).
Alternately I could cast some Prince August High Elves, though I'm not terribly fond of them.

But as a thought experiment, how would one go about creating and converting an entire Mithril High Elf warband.

I foresee:
- A lot of headswaps
- Prince August High Elf Shields
- Making up the numbers with small clusters of Battle of Mirkwood Lorien Elves (with different heads) and Mithril Classics Lorien spearmen
- And...what?

These would be late Third Age Noldor elves. Not really armoured - but certainly still very powerful I could easily imagine using "human" figures to represent some of them. Maybe the MC Faramir, for example. Maybe some M276 Spearmen with Elf heads

So...what do you all suggest?

#2 Sat, Aug20 2011 7:47pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Re: In which I plan a Rivendell army

M217 king
M67 captain
LR6 can make Standard bearer
MS557 for music
M12, M13, M65, M70, MC21 (M207) for archery
M68, M72, M210, M213, M398, M407 spear/pike elves
LR25, LR38, M71, M212, M214, M406 sword
All these have no armour and are pretty nice ones.

smile

Last edited by Milo (Sat, Aug20 2011 7:48pm)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#3 Sat, Aug20 2011 8:14pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Hmm, good choices.

I am going to be a bit less ambitious with the collecting bit.

What I am foreseeing (now, obviously I should be doing something else, but [insert excuse here]) is using a lot of the Ithilien Rangers with headswaps and paint jobs and sculpted on "Elvish" details, especially for archers. Using the LR Elves as you suggested as captains (Gil Galad) standard bearer (Elrond) and heavily armoured warriors (a few Cirdan figures, again head swapped) all with a very Elvish colour scheme - lots of deep blues, silvers and so on, as well as distinctive basing (autumn leaves and rocky soil).

But loooooooong before I even start...Beornings!

Gavin

#4 Sat, Aug20 2011 11:20pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Nice Gavin. Can't wait to see your armies.smile

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#5 Sun, Aug21 2011 12:12am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Mmmh, this ia a very ambitious project, Gavin.
I don´t remembe other Elves fit into your project, until our forest Warden had mentioned ALL of them . . . neutral
May I give you osme thoughts:
I am not quiet sure about the "NON-DYNAMIC-ELVES" like M210 or the M12+M13 looking very different to the others.
The LR38 is quiete the opposite . . .
So some warbands has got some mounted figure inside: what about the M211?
And don´t forget the legendary M247. Could be possible hard to find him . . .

Unfortunately I couldn´t help you with any Elves. My last ones went ou to you already . . .

Last edited by Turambar (Sun, Aug21 2011 12:15am)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

Board footer