Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, Sep25 2011 2:09am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

A question about M325, the Female Northman Ranger

What the hell is it in her left hand?
Mine either has a miscast or it has something that looks like its meant to be...something. I just don't know what!

#2 Sun, Sep25 2011 9:35am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: A question about M325, the Female Northman Ranger

As far as I can see she's not holding anything in her left hand. It's just a fist. I haven't heard or even know of anything she was supposed to be holding. The figure consists of two parts of which the second part is her right hand with the sword. But if you want her to hold something, why not add a shield from the "weapon packs"? though I think that would outbalance her in her swift movement. lol

#3 Sun, Sep25 2011 10:29am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Same comment as Master Theobald - nothing wink - I've always thought looking at this figure that she is kicking a door open or something similar, such violence!! big_smile

#4 Sun, Sep25 2011 10:45am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

actually her left hand is a clenched fist holding nothing but put in some sort of "charging motion"... she's looking behind her and motion for her fellows  to "come'on! Charge!"

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#5 Sun, Sep25 2011 10:59am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Maybe Master Gavin has a miscast figure? Though that would be unusual.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#6 Sun, Sep25 2011 12:50pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

maybe a conversion turned back to prior conversion state in a "raw" way?

anyway all pictures I provided in the top right corner of my data sheets in the database are genuine, taken from Mithril (copyright) material and displayed with explicit authorization from Lars and Michael or Chris.

if one has to check for genuine aspect, you can find it here

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#7 Sun, Sep25 2011 2:31pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

There's no problem, Master Gavin. I also was contemplating about this many years ago.
A miscast figure, as Master Barliman pointed out, is more than unusual.
Best is to try to rehearse such a move and motion against a closed door, as Master Gildor suggested. Doing that you will always hold up your left hand (in case you're right-handed) to protect the body from debris splattering. - But to be honest, the pose must be meant as bringing down a taller being by kicking its "legs". The knee being struck with one movement precisely will bring down your foe further more to your level,  and while falling you find him with your ferocious movement (spinning)  of the body to the final strike with the sword. The way swordmen do. Though ... facing the invisible enemy she's aiming at ... must be so much taller than her ... rhuoommm ... I always hoped she's not trying to behead a tree. Just see the pose, it's a cross, rectangular and vertical, only the pose of the head reveils what she's aiming for.

#8 Sun, Sep25 2011 3:28pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Well, I am going to assume its a mis-cast. It just looks like she's holding something in his left hand. Whatever way the extra shape is attached, I am not sure I can get it off without wrecking the hand. I must consider this matter.

#9 Sun, Sep25 2011 3:59pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

perhaps you should send in a photo Gavin and we can all suggest something big_smile

#10 Sun, Sep25 2011 4:04pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

+1 master Ddaines smile

#11 Sun, Sep25 2011 4:16pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, Gavin, there sometimes are miscasts, as you like to call it. But of this one I am not aware. Though I would rather advise you not to not to sever the Lady's hand.  - Let me try to explain.
It's possible that some parts of the sprew kept to the casting, which doesn't mean that it was intended.
E.g. Yesterday I stripped a Lady ... err ...  M10. I had her (badly) painted for many years. I did it myself, unlucky me. See, it was about to find out about the dagger. I was sure that the dagger was casted with the figure. After contacting The Man about three or four years age, he said that he couldn't remember if there was a dagger attached with the figure. He told me that the only way to find it out is to have a very close look at the base, where usually minor parts are being placed for the moulds. - I saw that it was right. Clearly the dagger was casted with its pommel at the right foot of the figure. ... Alas, I had to re-prime that Lady today. Anyway, that gives a better chance for a better painting.
I would like to add another question here ... what are so-called "Master-figures"? I should know, of course, but are those the ones being casted to find out if the mould works? I dunno.

#12 Sun, Sep25 2011 4:25pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Hey, Master Gildor, you didn't ask me about copyrights of the pics I provided ... rhuoomm ...
just joking ... about copyrights ... I'll try to become serious again .... we'll see ....

#13 Mon, Sep26 2011 3:25am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Hello Master Tree, to answer about "Masters" of mithril figures, they are the main figures (I believe) from which castings of regular relases were made. They are more rare than regular figures, but are not the moulds. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I have a few of these and that is how it was explained to me. I don't think more than one or a few exist for any single figure. I look forward to any other exlanation that is more complete.

Last edited by twrich (Mon, Sep26 2011 3:26am)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#14 Mon, Sep26 2011 12:59pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Chris sculpts the Green. He uses the Green to produce the Mastermould, a mould for handcasting. With this mould he produces the Masters. These Master figures are used to produce the spinncasting moulds. I guess up to 30 Masters of a single figure are a common thing. big_smile

Last edited by hsf62 (Mon, Sep26 2011 1:00pm)

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#15 Mon, Sep26 2011 1:52pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

now that's precise explanation

#16 Mon, Sep26 2011 2:32pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Thank you very much. I also have two masters, that's why I wanted to know.

#17 Mon, Sep26 2011 4:40pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Thank you Master Caster, it seems the "masters" I bought on ebay years ago are not as rare as the seller suggested  :-(

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#18 Mon, Sep26 2011 6:26pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I have two masters too, but a master does not have any "rarity" if you don't have the certificates of authenticity signed by Lars and Chris on special A4 paper for each of them... genuine certificates as detailed as a university diploma smile

I have two of them for M106 and M110 I think... I keep them preciously, even if I painted those minis already...

#19 Mon, Sep26 2011 8:09pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

... does someone knows if they (figures) have bigger value with this certificate or is it just another failed marketing trick from the past.... Something like the limited LR edition with those card as certificate.... !?!?!

Last edited by Thingol (Mon, Sep26 2011 10:01pm)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#20 Mon, Sep26 2011 9:56pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well any figurine, with a certificate coming with it marks it as a better chance for it to be genuine... it's like having a blistered as opposed to unblistered mini I suppose... else how can you prove it is a master.... except if you know the weight of all figurines, no one can distinguish a master from a regular figurine smile   I just mean that if you really want to sell it as master, for collectible value... it won't have any value if you don't sell the certificate coming with it

but this is true for every collectible , not only mithril smile

#21 Mon, Sep26 2011 9:59pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

.... could you put one picture (scan) of this certificate on web or here on this topic Master Gildor. I have never seen what it looks like those certificates. Thanks

#22 Tue, Sep27 2011 5:47am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Thankfully I have their certificates. :-) I was commenting only on the representation of the seller that there were only a few made.

#23 Tue, Sep27 2011 8:34am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

will try to scan one tonight

#24 Tue, Sep27 2011 10:40am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

will try to scan one tonight

It would be great !

#25 Tue, Sep27 2011 11:53am

hsf62
Master Caster

I forgot to mention, that the metal used to cast the Masters is different to the later used metal for the minis cast with the spinncasting moulds. It is usually a metal with a low melting point and contains less lead then the later used metal. wink

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

Board footer