Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, Aug22 2008 1:56am

Axe99
Master of Photos

First finished mithril in quite some time

G'day All,

Just posting up pics of the first Mithril I've finished in a long time.  I actually painted most of this in 2006 (!), but finished the gloves, boots, hair and base off last week.  It's also the first chance I've had to unleash my macro lens on a Mithril - although I'm not really a good enough painter to go getting in that close!  If you get a chance, keep posting stuff up here - I very much enjoy looking at other people's work smile

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

[edit]  Hmmm...struggling to post images - will have a look around the site and work out how - sorry.

[another edit]  Touch wood, this'll work - nice functionality, btw, Gildor - very sharp smile

Last edited by Axe99 (Fri, Aug22 2008 2:06am)

#2 Fri, Aug22 2008 10:42am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Re: First finished mithril in quite some time

Hi Axe99- congratulation to this excellent work. I like especially the choice of colour. Dark, not that varicoloured as I for myself like it also. You have to build an appropriate diorama to meet the requirements of that fine painted figure ( is that right wording ? ) wink I alwas thougt it is a shame not putting a good painted figure in an appropriate diorama to fullfill the presentation.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#3 Fri, Aug22 2008 1:10pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Aw, Dave, you're a fine painter.  smile

It looks good and stands up fine to the macro spotlight.  big_smile

Are you painting them in order or just pick up whatever strikes your fancy?

#4 Fri, Aug22 2008 1:23pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Ah, Dave, that is excellent!!! Both, paintjob and close up photos. That's one of the reasons why I'm so glad to have you here back again. Keep on, please!

Well, rita.de, the background for pics of a figure is a matter that could be regarded in different ways, I think. I really do like your work embedding the figures in a certain dioramic context - here I espacially like the water couloured background screen. But I, for example, prefer a more neutral greyish background to focus more on the figures themselves. Of course I also made dioramas as backgrounds, but to me that's a different thing.
I do not want to say this or that is better, because it depends on what you individually prefer. wink

#5 Fri, Aug22 2008 3:06pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Excellent job! That is a cool undead soldier!smile
Also, nice camera shots. I don't know if mine will do that, but I haven't looked at the directions to see if it will.hmm

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#6 Fri, Aug22 2008 9:22pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Hi Thobald, you say it right. That is exactly the point. And that is why I really love everything which is around these wonderful miniatures. smile

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#7 Fri, Aug22 2008 9:33pm

Axe99
Master of Photos

Thanks guys, you're far too kind smile.  I'm afraid, Rita, that I don't have the patience for dioramas, and tend to prefer working on the individual miniatures - I only have around 20 of the 600 or so painted, so if I have _any_ hope of painting them all before I die, I think I should focus on the Mithrils!  Indeed, if I continue at a rate of a miniature every 2 years, I'll need to live to the ripe old age of 1300 or so to finish 'em all!  Fortunately, as I'm a human and not an Ent like Theobald, I should be a little quicker on my next mini, Farmer Maggot from the LR series.

In terms of colour scheme, I do have some more brightly painted figs, but it's got to be appropriate.  I tend to think of where each character fit's into Tolkien's world, and then 'dress' them accordingly.  The ghost warrior, for instance, is in my mind a former Dunadan/Numenorean colonist noble (although not too noble!), hence the good kit and the purples in his clothing.  Bright colours didn't seem appropriate (especially as the clothes have been stuck on a rotting skeleton for a while) and my original intentions were to give it some kind of treatment for the fabric to make it seem worn and faded, but given I was so out of practice, thought I'd keep it simple rather than risk messing up half the paint job!  On the by, has anyone tried doing anything special to paint old fabrics?

As for which Mithrils I paint, it tends to be in almost any order.  Almost means there's a bit of a bias towards Mithrils that aren't still in their blister for one reason or another, and have little bits that can get lost, and I'm trying to mix up the painting so I'm not painting a few of the same (orcs, hobbits, Gondorians, Rohirrim) in a row.  I'm still kinda getting back into it at the moment, so I'm not quite fully back on top of all the numbers and titles and the like (although I know I can (and will) look them up on Gildor's most excellent database).

You make sure the rest of you keep posting here - and don't be shy.  Barli, if you're not keen on close-ups, with a collection like yours you might be able to do a few nice pics of battle formations?  If it's not a pain in the rear, of course, and it won't distract you from keeping an eye on Nob and the patrons.

Last edited by Axe99 (Fri, Aug22 2008 9:39pm)

#8 Sat, Aug23 2008 12:27pm

hsf62
Master Caster

The Master of Photos is doing a great  job in creating pics.... AND painting the "things" he's taking the pics of!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

Board footer