Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Tue, Sep9 2008 6:07pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Re: Post diorama pics here

Thank you for the kind comments, and in answer to a couple of them the Pony is darker when the ceiling is on, but unfortunatly I can't take any photos of it 'cos I can't get the camera in close enough sad hence the lighter atmosphere where the ceiling has had to be removed.

In hindsight I would have made it a bit more cluttered and given Aragorn a more snug corner (I may still do this as what you see is the second Pony (a bit like the old MMP big_smile)

The fire, Aragorn's candle and the ceiling do/did light up to add some atmosphere, but I need to rebuild the outer case for it and check the connections.

Most of the little details like the candle, plates etc. are old Mithril bits with the furnishings by Grendle.

#27 Tue, Sep9 2008 6:56pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Just like everyone says: Brilliant Work! How long does something like this take you to do?

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#28 Wed, Sep10 2008 6:11pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

jdbrown55 wrote:

Just like everyone says: Brilliant Work! How long does something like this take you to do?

This was a long ago project JD so memory and 'Lumber-rooms' spring to mind, but some Mithrils have taken many years to finish mainly because I can't stick with something long enough before moving on elsewhere. So in all honesty the figures would have been painted at various times over a period of a couple of years probably. The Pony itself is the second attempt  I think.

The exception to that rule being the recent Corsair release which was a record for me, and I guess with another competition on the way so will Dol-Amroth.

I'm in the process of painting up some of the Lossarnach guys for 'service afloat' (that statement will make sense one day) and am making good progress at the moment doing a bit here and a bit there, but it does make me realise that if I was a wargamer I would have the smallest armies ever because I just cannot paint on a production line basis.

Sad to say, as much as I love Mithril figures I do get bored too easily when painting small scale figures which is why I will now concentrate on smaller groups of figures where possible just so I can enjoy the painting, he said.........! roll

#29 Wed, Sep10 2008 6:28pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

I understand about the painting part and I try to do batches of them because like you I get bored or my neck starts hurting after a few hours of painting!
I have always liked dioramas, but have never had the patience to do them. I have always wanted to make a Chamber of Mazarabel scene and I think that Gavin has done one or is it you that did it. So, maybe someday I will make it! hmm

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#30 Wed, Sep10 2008 8:50pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

CHAMBER OF MARZABUL

Click to close

Here is one I did of the scene, which like the original Pony is illuminated and a 'box/shadow box diorama, but again for photo purposes the scene is overly light.

Cobwebs are real by the way yikes

#31 Wed, Sep10 2008 8:54pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Click to close

#32 Wed, Sep10 2008 8:58pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Click to close

#33 Wed, Sep10 2008 9:10pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Shelob's Lair

Click to close

This is a small diorama where the grain of wheat bulb can be shown to full effect as the 'Light of Galadriel' as Samwise stands against Shelob.

Unfortunately from this angle you can't see Frodo who is laying down in front of Shelob (how I wish Peter Jackson had used this Shelob design for the film instead of the speedy 'little' spider that he did - I wonder what size the Mirkwood spiders will be considering they are much smaller in comparison hmm ), but Gollum can be seen legging it away from the scene.

Like Moria real spider web was used and this diffuses the light quite nicely as well as hiding the bulb stuck to Sam's hand.

Hope you enjoy wink

#34 Wed, Sep10 2008 9:28pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

. . . real spider webs . . .   A B S O L U T E L Y  M A G N I F I C E N T !
What can I say--- I sam still searching words, David. When I will found some of them I will send a grave comment . . .
In the meantime you will find me marvelling . . .

Last edited by rita.de (Wed, Sep10 2008 9:30pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#35 Wed, Sep10 2008 9:37pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

no words ... ruommm ... keeps me a bit of breathless  ... thank you, David.

#36 Thu, Sep18 2008 9:06pm

Axe99
Master of Photos

Those pics rock - thanks smile

Last edited by Axe99 (Thu, Sep18 2008 9:06pm)

#37 Sun, Sep21 2008 9:55am

Isildur
Traveller

Hi all, my last diorama 'last inn before Angmar' made with hirstarts mold.
I never though that taking pictures of miniaturs was that hard...

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

#38 Sun, Sep21 2008 1:00pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Thanks for posting those Isildur, they capture the scene very well indeed. I have meant to try Hirst Arts for a long time, but have yet to do so. They appear to work very well indeed from the pictures.

Anyhow, welcome onboard, and I'm sure we would all like to see more examples of your work.

David

#39 Sun, Sep21 2008 1:10pm

Isildur
Traveller

Thank you for your welcome David,
As far as my experiences are, those mold are quite easy to use, and I find the results match my expectations.

Board footer