Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Oct3 2012 9:43pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Painting Schemes

Hi all,

I was wondering if you usually do some kind of research before painting your mithrils, specially characters, or you just paint them to your liking.

Personally, I do an extensive research and I'm quite upset when I discover sculpting inaccuracies (i.e. full plate armour, first Théoden shield and so).

What's your take?

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#2 Wed, Oct3 2012 11:15pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: Painting Schemes

I always paint the way I like it... I research only when when the book mentions a particular piece of clothing... but in 98% of all painting schemes are in my head... I enjoy relaxing by painting...

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Thu, Oct4 2012 7:03am

Milo
The Attic Warden

On my side, I always rely on the JRRT books before starting any paintings.
And sometimes, when the mini is a MERP character, I also check MERP descriptions (I have downloaded 71 on the web. Just ask me if needed).
And I agree sometimes, wrong details are frustrating.
Still, I feel Mithril range remains to me the most accurate Tolkien vision in Fantasy minatures.

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#4 Thu, Oct4 2012 7:23am

Mornedhel
Traveller

As Milo I check the books first, next the ICE modules and then Medieval books from Osprey (Angus Mc Bride who painted a lot of ICE covers was also involved with Osprey)

#5 Thu, Oct4 2012 7:33am

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

depends of the figure!
my last one (Tom Bombadil) is not accurate because I've read the description after painting !:/
but it don't make me lose sleep !:D

If Master Milo has a some description ready, I think that it could be useful?

(why not a "database" or a simple topic with descriptions, links  etc... for some characters when we have or find some?)

Edit: a simple question: I've understand after a quick google search what's "MERP" !!!:P
but how can you recognize if a figure is a MERP one or not ?

Last edited by Sam Wise (Thu, Oct4 2012 7:41am)

"no fear to fight, no fear to loose, just want to have fun!" (anonymous)
feel free to visit my blog Sam's Minis World

#6 Thu, Oct4 2012 9:36am

Milo
The Attic Warden

If a mithril character's name is not in JRRT books, it almost always comes from MERP

Like Rogrog, the last winning suggestion for next MS releases for instance. wink

Last edited by Milo (Thu, Oct4 2012 9:37am)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#7 Thu, Oct4 2012 9:40am

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

Milo wrote:

If a mithril character's name is not in JRRT books, it almost always comes from MERP

Like Rogrog, the last winning suggestion for next MS releases for instance. wink

thanks Milo!
I think that I have some, like the elven children in a tree !

"no fear to fight, no fear to loose, just want to have fun!" (anonymous)
feel free to visit my blog Sam's Minis World

#8 Thu, Oct4 2012 1:45pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Sam Wise wrote:

depends of the figure!
(why not a "database" or a simple topic with descriptions, links  etc... for some characters when we have or find some?)

That is a great suggestion, Master Sam Wise! That's a project I would gladly participate in.

Who do know which are the Orc skin tones described in the books?  And what about their eyes, are they red or closer to human/elvish? How many of you have painted Aragorn's eyes grey?

Milo wrote:

I wonder if it will be better than Reaper's ICE inspired "Kagunk, Ogre Boss":

Old version just like the cover: Kagunk Ogre Cheiftan by Bob Olley
New version more dynamic:Kagunk, Ogre Boss by John Manor

Here it is the original Angus McBride "Death of Ostoher" image:
http://rt00104d.eresmas.net/Ilustraciones/La_Muerte_de_ostoher_Reducida.jpg

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#9 Thu, Oct4 2012 4:25pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

I try to find a description in my books before starting to paint a figurine.
I started my own database: I noticed for each description of location and / or characters to which it corresponded pages in my books. And I just started to retype each citation in an excel file, in order to more easily find a character and have it immediately without opening description whenever the book, but it's in french winktongue
But I did that only for Bilbo and the Lord of the Rings, I haven't had time to do other books (Sylmarillion, ....)

#10 Thu, Oct4 2012 5:07pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I'm generally lazy when it comes to research if it means having to do extensive research; usually a flick through 'the good book' to confirm details is enough for me. I do try to keep consistency with painting characters (allowing for a change of clothes now and again big_smile ).

Same same for dioramas and scenes, as much as I should plan scenes out, I usually let them 'flow' based on an original idea and tend to make things 'fit' with a lot of tweaking lol.

Regards painting Aragorn's eyes grey, I can't even see his damn eyes these days , let alone paint them grey lol

My pet hate is plate armour on MM's, a mix of plate, e.g. breast plate and mail I would be OK with, but not full plate yikesmad Another pet hate is sculpted on reins with that lump of metal in between neck and rein sad. I would love separate reins as would my finger tips which get sliced and drilled, but I did speak to CT about this at Salute and he didn't think it practical.

#11 Fri, Oct5 2012 5:20pm

Tolwen
Traveller

ddaines wrote:

My pet hate is plate armour on MM's, a mix of plate, e.g. breast plate and mail I would be OK with, but not full plate yikesmad

I can only second that! yikes

Cheers
Tolwen

Visit  Other Minds Magazine, an unofficial magazine for roleplaying and academic interests in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth and beyond.

#12 Sat, Oct6 2012 2:50am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

I have compiled a database of MERP figues produced so far; there are not that many. Here is the spreadsheet to date:

Series    Number    Set    Title ( * = MERP Creation)    Gender    Sec Characters    Race(s)    Area    Profession(s) MERP    Specialized Prof(s)    Weapons    Armor    Gear/Items    T. A. Years In Play    MERP Resources/References
M    32    Thieves of Tharbad    Princess Nirnadel*    F        Human-Dunedain    Endor-Northwest    Bard                       
M    33    Thieves of Tharbad    Dirhavel the Alchemist*    M        Human-Eriadoran    Endor-Northwest    Mage-Bard                       
M    34    Thieves of Tharbad    Silmarien the Mage*    F        Human-Dunedain    Numenor/Gondor    Mage                       
M    40    Thieves of Tharbad    Tardegil, Captain of the Army*    M        Human-Dunedain    Cardolan    Warrior                       
M    41    Thieves of Tharbad    Nimhir the Regent*    M        Human-Dunedain    Cardolan    Ranger                       
M    64x    The Halls of the Elvenking    Queen Arhendhiril & Two Maids*    F/F/F    Maids X 2    Elf-Sindar/E-Silvan X 2    Rhovanion    Animist/Bard/Common                       
M    78    Far Harad    The RazRoc*    M        Maia-Demon    Endor-South    Warrior                       
M    93    Mount Gundabad    Zalg the Goblin King*    M        Orc-Uruk-hai-Hithaeglir    Endor-N Central    Warroir                       
M    95    Mount Gundabad    Saviga, Zalg's Consort*    F        Half-Orc    Endor-N Central    Mage                       
M    96    Mount Gundabad    Akargin, Warlock of Gundabad*    M        Half-Orc    Endor-N Central    Mage                       
M    99a,b    Mount Gundabad    Karagat, High-Priest of Gnbd & Victim*    M    Victim    Orc-UH-Hithaeglir/Human    Endor    Animist/Common                       
M    102    Mount Gundabad    Bralg the Insane*    M        Orc-Uruk-hai-Hithaeglir    Endor-N Central    Warrior                       
M    105    Mirkwood    Huinen the Seer*    M        Elf-Noldor    Rhovanion    Mage                       
M    106    Mirkwood    Arien, Elven Mage*    F        Dark Elf-Silvan    Rhovanion    Mage                       
M    107    Mirkwood    Lachglin, the Animist of Mirkwood*    M        Human-Black Num    Rhovanion    Animist                       
M    166    Ghostwarriors of Dunfaran    Tughaib of the Spirits*    F        Human-Dunlending    Eriador-Southeast    Animist                       
M    169    Ghostwarriors of Dunfaran    Wight of Tughaib*    M        The Dead    Eriador-Southeast    Warrior                       
M    170    Ghostwarriors of Dunfaran    Menoib, Dunlending Chieftan*    M        Human-Dunlending    Eriador-Southeast    Warrior                       
M    171    Ghostwarriors of Dunfaran    Solofhen, Dunlending Shaman*    M        Human-Dunlending    Eriador-Southeast    Animist                       
M    191    Fanghorn Forest    Tolwen, Elven Healer*    F        Elf-Sindar    Rohan-N    Animist                       
M    192    Fanghorn Forest    Hundin, the Bandit Chief*    M        Human-Dunedain-Nrthmn    Rohan-N    Ranger-Warrior                       
M    324a,b    Women of Middle-Earth    Female Vampires: Miruimor & Carangil*    F/F    Carangil    Human-Black Num/Elf    Endor    Common/Mage                       
M    443    Mithril Merp (Northern Eriador)    Dagohir the War-Lord*    M        Half-Troll/Half-Elf    Eriador    Mage                       
MS    537    Fellowship Gold    Female Assassin of Dol Amroth    F        Human-Dunedain    Belfalas    Scout                       
MS    576    Fellowship Gold    Junast of Far Harad    M        Human-Haradrim    Harad    Warrior                       

LR    13    Lord of the Rings: The Nine Nazgul    Adunaphel*    M        Nazgul    Endor    Bard                       
LR    14    Lord of the Rings: The Nine Nazgul    Akhorahil*    M        Nazgul    Endor    Mage                       
LR    15    Lord of the Rings: The Nine Nazgul    Dwaw of Waw*    M        Nazgul    Endor    Mage                       
LR    16    Lord of the Rings: The Nine Nazgul    Hoarmurath*    M        Nazgul    Endor    Animist                       
LR    17    Lord of the Rings: The Nine Nazgul    Indur Dawndeath*    M        Nazgul    Endor    Mage                       
LR    18    Lord of the Rings: The Nine Nazgul    Ren the Unclean*    M        Nazgul    Endor    Mage                       
LR    19    Lord of the Rings: The Nine Nazgul    Uvatha the Horseman*    M        Nazgul    Endor    Warrior

I do not consider common people (warrior, scout, mage, standard bearer, etc...) from lands named in LOTR as MERP, except specific figures that are named only in MERP. One exception is the Female Assassin of Dol Amroth because she was on the cover of a MERP publication.

Sorry, this was supposed to be a link to an excel spreadsheet, but I did it wrong. This post is for Sevlag, but if anyone wants me to email them this spreadsheet, just send me a message and I will.

Last edited by twrich (Sat, Oct6 2012 5:11am)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#13 Sat, Oct6 2012 7:40am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Thank you very much, Master Twrich, this helps me a lot.

#14 Sat, Oct6 2012 8:53am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

good work master twrich
actually I myself put a flag in the database description each time it is a "merp creation" but it's true there is no way to "search" with this criteria hmm
I think you forgot a *  for MS537 Junast, and also you may have forgotten common folks who have a rank or name only found in MERP. I don't see :
Lesinas, Sagath <anything> the Cardolan Hir, Visi guards, Junast guards, and master of the Tama.

all of the above carry in their names titles, geography reference, or reference to things that only exist in MERP but not in tolkien works (sagath, hir, visi, junast, tama, lesinas)

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#15 Sun, Oct7 2012 5:20am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Hello Master Wandering Elf,

You are quite correct, I did miss several. Perhaps there is a simple way for you to change the settings to do a MERP search? I know they are non-Tolkien canon . . . . But they are Mirthril.

PS. I hope your lovely wife and child are doing well.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#16 Sun, Oct7 2012 8:19am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well thanks master twrich smile they are doing quite ok, (except for my child being a bit ill at the moment along with myself... autumn colds...)

as for merp search, that could indeed be possible technically but that would be tricky as the "merp flag" does not exist in itself at the moment it is just a "comment" in red in the description field of each figurine.
Still by doing a database search for each reference having "merp creation" written in its description I managed to get a result so I suppose the database request works and I could add this search at some point.

Until i have implemented it as a button here is the result :

LR11 The Witch-King (Er-Murazor)
LR12 Nazgûl Lieutenant (Khamûl the Easterling)
LR13 Adûnaphel
LR14 Akhôrahil
LR15 Dwaw of Waw
LR16 Hoarmûrath of Dîr
LR17 Indûr Dawndeath
LR18 Ren The Unclean
LR19 Uvatha the Horseman

M17 Sagath Warrior
M18 Sagath Animist
M26 Eothraim Prince (huithyn)
M32 Princess Nirnadel
M33 Dirhavel  the Alchemist
M34 Silmarien the Mage
M39 Cardolan Hir
M40 Tardegil, the Army Captain
M41 Nimhir the Regent
M64 Queen Arhendhiril & two maids
M67 High Captain of Aradhrynd
M73 Caravan guard on Camel
M75 Visi Footguard and Officer
M77 Sand-Man
M78 The Razarac
M79 Junast's Guard
M80 Lesinas
M82 Master of the Tama
M93 Zalg the Goblin-King
M95 Saviga, The King's Consort
M96 Akargun the Warlock
M99 Karagat the High Priest
M102 Bralg the Insane
M105 Huinen the Seer
M106 Arien, Elven Mage
M107 Lachglin the Animist
M108 The Silent Shadow
M109 Werewolf
M165 Eribhen & Ruil
M166 Tughaib of the Spirits
M169 Wight of Tughaib
M170 Menoïb, Dunlending Chieftain
M171 Solophen, Dunlending Shaman
M191 Tolwen, Elven Healer
M192 Hundin, the Bandit Chief
M193 Bandits of Tir Limlight
M253 Swamp Star
M324 Female Vampires : Miruimor & Carangil
M443 Dagorhir "The Warlord"
MS576 Junast of Far-Harad

32Proto1 Dwaw of Waw (prototype for an abandonned ICE figurine game)

I did not count the "Female Assassin of Dol Amroth" as there is nothing in itself not-canon for Tolkien though inspired from a Merp Module...
and strangely enough, beside the range name of 'MERP characters"  in the regular M range, only Dagorhir is a MERP character all the others are either unnamed, or characters from Tolkien... how ironic smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#17 Sun, Oct7 2012 5:47pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Very nice Master Wandering Elf!!! And I hope you and your precious little one feel better soon :-)

Board footer