Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sat, Nov22 2008 2:35am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Some random pictures of mine. Test shots taken before the snow...

These aren't perfect.

I've ressurected an old Fujifilm Finepix E500 from death. Its batteries are knackered. What it does do, however, is take reasonable photos of miniatures without "helpfully" sending the macro someplace else, wandering out of focus or any number of other automatic functions which i'd rather it did not do.

Of course it needs to be plugged in all the damn time. And I have to figure out what the optimum distance to shoot at is, and how to convince it not to show my highlights as big blobs.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/HalbaradsCompanions.jpg

Halbarad's companions - the putative heroes of a CODA RPG campaign I never finished creating. From left to right
Girwain, an Eriadan warrior; Ivanne a Noldorin loremistress; Halbarad the Ranger; Lualu from Forodwaith; Sadbh, a Dunnish warrior woman; "Aelfwine" - an elven traveller who disguises himself as a human bard; and Calum, a Beorning Atheling.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/Calum.jpg

This is Calum, a conversion of Helm (the arm from the Turin as outlaw miniature). Calum is a Beorning wilderness fighter trying to prove his worth.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/Ivanne.jpg

Ivanne, a Noldorin loremistress. The camera really managed to mess up the highlights here. They weren't perfect to start with, but now they look really iffy.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/LauluandHalbarad.jpg

Closeup of Lualu, Halbarad and Aelfwine.

Gavin

#2 Sat, Nov22 2008 3:39am

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Re: Some random pictures of mine. Test shots taken before the snow...

That's some nice conversion work and painting there Gavin.  I like the muted colors you chose.  They are well befitting Ranger and other travelling types.  smile

Ha.  I have a Finepix A340.  Sigh.  I'll get a new camera someday...

#3 Sat, Nov22 2008 2:26pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Methinks Ivanne is going to be replaced by the other miniature I was thinking of using for her. That paint job needs visiting Mister Paint Stripper.

Version two pics later!

Gavin

#4 Sat, Nov22 2008 2:52pm

protozeus
Adventurer

I especially like the choice of models (looks like a very natural composition) and the colour consistency without uniformity. Very nice!

ménin aeíde, theá, beórnou órkeiphágou!

#5 Sat, Nov22 2008 4:59pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Respect, Master Gavin, ...huoommm ... respect indeed, and I would like you to keep on with this kind of painting miniatures and providing pics of them to us (as by now you've got a camera and a tripod to provide such things) ... well, these days you might just avoid them cloudy skies and take off the right of your mittens before you touch the button at that camera .... No, This sounds too much insulting ... wasn't meant like this .... wink
Thank you for providing just some takes of your scenario which just provide 'Mithril figures' here. As I had a closer look at them I dare to say that your colouring of those **-figures is great. By the way, referring to those painting instructions you mentioned concerning colouring that Elven armour at another site was what I also tried to do with my **-figures.
Sorry, but this was just meant as a compliment, Master Gavin  smile

#6 Sat, Nov22 2008 5:32pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Very nice work Gavin, good choice of colours for the subjects. Soooooooon, I hope! smile I will be able to post some pictures as well of completed works, but don't stay up all night waiting wink

#7 Sat, Nov22 2008 6:12pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Thank you so much all.

The camera really needs more figuring out. It's STILL a darn sight better than the new Fuji F480 which is far too clever for its boots. Gets ideas, you see. No the macro shouldn't be there, it should be over there someplace. Randomly. At least the old E500 puts the macro roughly where you aim it.

Right now I am finally getting around to making another display board thing (found some useful earth brown paint of the type you use for walls. Dumped in most of an extraeneous pot of Dark Sand paint, dry brushed the result. Will still need some fake water in the near future, but for now, its looking good.

And, master tree, I used the timer. While stamping my feet and blowing into my cold bemittened hands big_smile

More pictures later today, methinks.

Gavin

#8 Sat, Nov22 2008 6:15pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

You'll all note that Halbarad is an older painting job, back when I tried, and failed to use the suggested GW paint scheme on a face. That scheme is not terribly suited to mithil's faces, and its really not suited for the temperature and humidity level here in sunny Quebec. Probably worked better at home in Ireland. Likely would work well in BC too (when I move there. heh). It wasn't until maybe a year later I stumbled on the rather easier trick I now use.

I also, to my shame, spray painted the grey undercoated Halbard black. So lots of the nice details are obscured. I purchased a second Halbarad to make another diorama with. So either this one will visit the stripping jar, or I'll get around to painting up that second diorama.

Gavin

#9 Sun, Nov23 2008 2:16am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

And some newer ones entirely. Taken inside, alas:

Orcs of Mirkwood marching to war:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/DSCF4203.jpg

A second:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/DSCF4204.jpg

A third:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/DSCF4208.jpg

Most of these orcs were painted some years ago, and I don't consider them "up to current" standards. They are ok, I guess. Nothing special. I rather like my new display board! Only took me about 3 hours to make. Unfortunately those three hours have been spread out since July.

Gavin

#10 Sun, Nov23 2008 2:39am

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/OrcArchers.jpg

One last for the night.

Gavin

#11 Sun, Nov23 2008 3:01pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Howerya Estel...and thank you.

They are - kinda - for table top roleplaying. I suspect, really, they are also for me to display and show off. Or at least make the office room look less tedious. I rarely get to play with them, and as yet, a lot aren't really ready to be played with. They have to be properly painted and pretty solidly attached to their bases.

and I need more, and better scenery and so on. I have a number of dioramas I am working on, but the game-type pieces tend to be a bit more fun.

Gavin

#12 Sun, Nov23 2008 3:35pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huooommmmm .... I just read this, Master Gavin. .... though I cannot provide you with table-tops for display (which I do have in certain numbers) I was considering your remark saying "I need more" .... so you will receive .... let me explain, please.
As I had a closer look at the web-site by the help of the link you offered here I remembered all the time I spent on painting all those Orcs, Elves,Haradrians, Gondorians etc. from that ** company. Indeed I managed to paint  all of them, including the additional sets as far as the releases about the 3rd part of the trilogy is concerened.
So it came to my mind that somewhere in this house there must be left a box with all those unpainted figures of those ranges ....I found the box and it is still filled with what I thought of. Unfortunately most of them figs have been casted in metal ... so just let me know,please if you're interested in that ....   smile

#13 Sun, Nov23 2008 11:13pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

And for Master Tree in particular, one of the Work-in-progress pictures of my adaptation of the "special" Imrahil figure.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/araquael/Euric.jpg

I name this fellow Euric Starhair, the son of a disgraced Dol Amroth knight, Turin of Belfalas, a knight who took service with the Rohir ealdorman Siugurd of Eastfold. Siugurd found himself exiled into the northern vales of the Anduin at the behest of Grima Wormtongue.

When Gunabad's orcs marched to war during the War of the Ring, Euric was one of Eadmund Siugurdson's halfred of six knights who rode to the defence of the Northmen of the Anduin Vale, and was summoned by Galadriel to witness the fall of Dol Guldor. The survivors of the famous halfred were honoured by Eomer King of Rohan and Aragorn, High King of the West.

Board footer