Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Oct8 2014 5:09pm

Tolwen
Traveller

Dragon Kit (aka Smaug)

Hi All,
not a Mithril as such, but an amazing model (made from Resin) nonetheless. Have a look here for it. IMO it is the perfect size for the dragon. Not too big (far too overblown in the movie), and not not too small for the grestest dragon of the Third Age. Apart from that issue, the basic movie design of Smaug was phenomenal - the best I've ever seen so far). Compare especially the size of the 28mm (GW) Hobbit with it.

Cheers
Tolwen

EDIT: It seems I'm getting old. I just noticed that there is already a thread dedicated to this Smaug...

Last edited by Tolwen (Wed, Oct8 2014 8:51pm)

Visit  Other Minds Magazine, an unofficial magazine for roleplaying and academic interests in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth and beyond.

#2 Wed, Oct8 2014 9:34pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Re: Dragon Kit (aka Smaug)

Not you, Master Tolwen!

The sculpt is very nice, size is impressive and is movie-accurated, but Weta's design has little to do with the "real" Smaug. According to Tolkien own drawing, it was a four-legged creature, not to mention his belly covered with treasure.

Not Smaug, but a fine-looking Middle-earth dragon would be this. It reminds me of John Howe's illustration of Túrin and Glaurung.

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#3 Wed, Oct8 2014 11:02pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

You are right, Master Tolwen. It was Master DDaines you found exactly that dragon before. On July 15.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#4 Thu, Oct9 2014 6:21pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Tolwen wrote:

Hi All,
not a Mithril as such, but an amazing model (made from Resin) nonetheless. Have a look here for it. IMO it is the perfect size for the dragon. Not too big (far too overblown in the movie), and not not too small for the grestest dragon of the Third Age. Apart from that issue, the basic movie design of Smaug was phenomenal - the best I've ever seen so far). Compare especially the size of the 28mm (GW) Hobbit with it.

Cheers
Tolwen

EDIT: It seems I'm getting old. I just noticed that there is already a thread dedicated to this Smaug...

Don't worry, we are all getting older Master Tolwen lol.

I have seen neither 'in the flesh' so to speak, but Cang the Magnificent (Coolminiornot) is also a rather impressive beast wink.

#5 Thu, Oct9 2014 7:21pm

Tolwen
Traveller

ddaines wrote:

Don't worry, we are all getting older Master Tolwen lol.

I have seen neither 'in the flesh' so to speak, but Cang the Magnificent (Coolminiornot) is also a rather impressive beast wink.

Yes indeed, I have seen the impressive diorama with him. I wish I'd have time and skill for such.
Aside from this, what I especially like about the WETA design of Smaug (and thus the Geene models dragon), is its look. Many dragons (Cang included) both in miniatures and illustrations have a certain "humanoid" design: Subtract the tail, extra extremity (wings) and set him upright, the torso and arm/leg part often have a very distinctive human outlook in terms of relations of appendages and overall anatomy (muscles, ribcage, joints etc.).
The WETA design addressed this by giving the dragon not six extremities (four legs plus a pair of wings), but four, where the first two form part of the wing structure (as in birds, Pterosaurs or bats).

Of course it is a fantasy world with the necessary artistic license, but the problem of how the - mostly big - wings as an additional pair of extremities with their necessary muscles and tendons fit believably (i.e. giving the needed power to lift the beast) into the musco-sceletal system of a tetrapod creature where the entire system (and room within the body) is needed to facilitate the four-legged movement. A simple "it's magic" statement is quite easy and somewhat unsatisfactory I fear.

Again, the WETA design is positive, giving Smaug really huge wings for a relatively light and slim (again, in relation to the wings) body, making it a very plausible approach and making the "suspension of disbelief" necessary for good fantasy easy. Tolkien's own depictions of Smaug are more difficult unfortunately, giving him relatively small wings. But of course the professor was more interested in artistic rather than biomechanical aspects of this wink

But I may digress... wink

Cheers
Tolwen

Visit  Other Minds Magazine, an unofficial magazine for roleplaying and academic interests in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth and beyond.

#6 Thu, Oct9 2014 10:23pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

I absolutely do not understand what you mean with "humanoid design", Master Tolwen.
As for the mentioned "Cang" I can tell, that I absolutely do not understand what you mean with "humanoid design"- as he is standing on my workbench- in front of me.

Click to close

Regarding the WETA design of Smaug it is important NOT to forget the best dragon design so far (imho- as you like to say): Vermitrax.

Click to close

I am not quiete sure that you are an expert of dragon anatomy. Hopefully you are able to meet your own highly requirements.

Last edited by Turambar (Thu, Oct9 2014 10:24pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#7 Fri, Oct10 2014 6:02am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I think I understand master Tolwen humanoid statement. Just focus on your cang picture master Turambar. I see human arm with biceps and human leg with mollet.wink

Then I have to say I don't care as Cang looks just marvellous to me

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#8 Fri, Oct10 2014 6:35am

Tolwen
Traveller

Milo wrote:

I think I understand master Tolwen humanoid statement. Just focus on your cang picture master Turambar. I see human arm with biceps and human leg with mollet.wink

Then I have to say I don't care as Cang looks just marvellous to me

Yes, it is indeed as Master Milo says. The muscular "human" arm and leg (calf and thigh) illustrate it very well and the torso behind it looks very similar to a muscular human one as well. This does not belittle the superb sculpting in any way though.
What I mean with this, is that a more reptilian overall physique would lend to an easier "suspension of disbelief". This has nothing to do with artistic quality which is very high for all the depicted dragon models.

Cheers
Tolwen

Last edited by Tolwen (Fri, Oct10 2014 6:38am)

Board footer