Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#801 Fri, Dec5 2014 9:32pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Re: THE HOBBIT MOVIE

Maybe Fili and Tauriel even get married and ride off into the sunset together.....

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#802 Fri, Dec5 2014 10:33pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

thankfully Tolkien did mention something about interracial couples and sterility wink

except for men/elves...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#803 Sat, Dec6 2014 12:56am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Who is that "Tiriel" character?

Last edited by Turambar (Sat, Dec6 2014 12:59am)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#804 Sat, Dec6 2014 6:33am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Name was misspelt. Apologies.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#805 Sat, Dec6 2014 10:32am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Well now that the plot has been spoiled and we know who lives and dies....... I'll have to pass until it comes out on DVD!!! lol

#806 Fri, Dec12 2014 9:46pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well I have seen the movie and I must admit I'm a bit perplex... at some points I thought I was looking at an adaptation of the "warhammer battle" franchise...
Surely Games Workshop will enjoy this as you can use Warhammer dwarves  to reproduce the battle of five armies?

well I will wait a bit to post comments as I would not want to spoil too much...

oh just a reminder :  The Battle of the Five Armies takes place in late TA 2941... and Aragorn was born in 2931... for those who saw the movie, maybe you'll notice there is something odd being said....

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#807 Sat, Dec13 2014 1:18pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

oh...really?

In Movie-land, the Fellowship of the Ring happens sixty years after Bilbo finds the ring. In the book, its 77 years. Aragorn is noted in the Two Towers movie as being 80.

So, in movie time, young Aragorn is in his twenties when the Dwarves go out to poke at dragons.

But still, I am not looking forward to the film as an example of high art or anything...

#808 Sat, Dec13 2014 3:13pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

In other news, I just bought a ticket for the opening evening in Montreal. It's sort of feeling more like a religious obligation, like midnight mass, than participating in something joyous smile

#809 Sat, Dec13 2014 4:07pm

shadyt
Traveller

I will be going on Thursday, early in the day.

#810 Mon, Dec15 2014 10:11pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I looked at the third hobbit before half an hour... and no golden dwarves, no old womans feeding chickens... and yes it was great movie .... first class entertainment.... I am sure that only extended versions of all three films, viewed together, will give us a true "picture" of modern view on hobbits in 21 century... but certainly I enjoyed watching it in those two and half hours....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#811 Mon, Dec15 2014 10:57pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

So, my friend, you liked this third part?!
Well- I really liked the second part A LOT- which you didn´t like that much. That means, if you really like the third part, then I must ADORE the third part.
That means, if you wouldn´t liked the third part, then I would like the third part as well.
As I told before. I really I really liked the second part A LOT- which you didn´t like that much.
That means, if you really like the third part, then I must ADORE the third part . . . roll

I will wait after Christmas. Because there WILL be that extended version of DOS which I want to watch BEFORE . . .

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#812 Tue, Dec16 2014 7:15am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I saw the final episode this week-end with wife and kids.
It was just as I expected. Great battle entertainment. Virtual images keep improving, that's amazing.
Now when it come to my taste, I feel there lacks again some of the non-war part, which is what I love in ME, unfortunately for me.
Hopefully this will be much better with full extended edition Hobbit trilogy.

Last edited by Milo (Tue, Dec16 2014 7:17am)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#813 Tue, Dec16 2014 8:57am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Turambar wrote:

So, my friend, you liked this third part?! Well- I really liked the second part A LOT- which you didn´t like that much. That means, if you really like the third part, then I must ADORE the third part.
That means, if you wouldn´t liked the third part, then I would like the third part as well.
As I told before. I really I really liked the second part A LOT- which you didn´t like that much.
That means, if you really like the third part, then I must ADORE the third part ....

I think maybe I'll go and lay down again for a while.....

#814 Tue, Dec16 2014 10:12am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

truth be told, I prefered this last episode than the second one too.

there are some "changes" indeed, and without battle there would not have been enough content for a full third movie, but still... there are some moments which are very true to the books, even in the dialogues and events and that's good to see that in this opus, we have a lot of respectful moments, as opposed to this awful "dwarves battling the dragon" in episode 2....

#815 Tue, Dec16 2014 10:59pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Saw the Movie tonight - thought there were some great moments, Billy Connolly's (oops Dain) opening offer was classic Billy Connolly (as long as you're familiar with The Big Yin) big_smile.

If I am honest, I thought the battle was a bit diluted and needs the extended version to give it its full glory - it is the title of the film after all.

I'll post no more comments until more have seen the film, I enjoyed it, but would've preferred some key climax moments to have been more true to the book wink.

Aim to see it again next week or so.

#816 Wed, Dec17 2014 8:58am

Maenas
Traveller

I am going to see the movie this weekend!! getting anxious!tonguetongue

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#817 Wed, Dec17 2014 5:49pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, just believe me that I have been thinking a lot before I now place my comment here. - Most of you will not agree to this, or might even be annoyed. Sorry for that. So:

I watched the first part of that trilogy right in time once having to use those 3d-"glasses" which didn't fit well to the ones I usually have to carry. Anyway, I got through it somehow, adjusting and re-adjusting. Not to mention all that noise swelling up and down onto me from all sides like waves on a rough sea ... crunching, talking, discussing or even worse sounds. - All I remember are situations when I was always wondering if Mr Jackson made a comic or slapstick attempt to "create" a film of that Hobbit, which is a book I still like (sic). One Scene gave it off: Those shots of Radagast on his rabbit-drawn sledge on the green. The way the wizard was presented in the film struck me. On the other hand the way the Dwarves were pictured out was even more disgusting. They simply looked like some very bad figures of a low ranking company trying to produce miniatures. Though I always wondered why they could not hold weapons of triple their size.

For the second part I avoided a cinema (and did not regret). After about three quarters of a year later I watched that DVD, that was in autumn this year, I think. That evening just supported my disappointment I had since the first movie.
So you know what I expect from that third part. Right.

Conclusion:
Peter Jackson should not have tried to do this. Three long movies out of that book. Alas. He should have better left Tolkien's writings after the very impressive films based on the "Lord of the Rings". But now turning into broadcasted imaginations of Dwarves and wizards and such like, adding a lot of (or even quite a lot of) what is called "action" according to Hollywood and the audience that never have read the Hobbit is not what I do like very much.

Er, as for those among us who often criticize suggestions for not being canon on the Mithril-board, how can you stand watching those movies?

Sorry, this had to be said, and I just want to point out again that this is a very personal statement which is not meant to cause any harm to anybody. - Ah, yes, thanks for reading.

#818 Thu, Dec18 2014 1:09pm

Maenas
Traveller

I am watching these series of films from another angle and that's because of the first movie's Radagast-rasta-weed-smoking-rabbit-running-chariot thing that you mention. Instead of getting angry I actually laughted when I saw it on the cinema screen tongue ... then I got angry because I could not understand how disrespectfull it was against my own image of Radagast these things followed by sadness because a clear pattern is repeating in a lots of films. Is there really a need to put a comical character in a non comical film i.e.: Radagast=Jar Jar Bins in Star wars? So it feels like the film industry is thinking that behind a good film has to exist a recipe: something like a pinch of impossible love, three spoons of sex, ten minutes of humour, 5 ounces of pursuit/chasing.... etc...

I love the hobbit book, I started my JRRT passion with that book, and I took it to the mountains of my grandfather's village and read it there in the "wild". So when I saw the first movie, and the weird vests on some characters (no coloured coats and hoodies on dwarfs? and then some scenes completely erased, and some others more than 15 minutes longer than they should be), I thought omg. : "well this is not the hobbit, this is a film only inspired by the adventures on the books", and because I watch them thinking on that very sentence, I am not that "demanding" with the things they present me, this way I can appreciate the movies and the reason I have more fun watching them.

Now I am anxious with this third part, because I want to see how they manage to resolve lots of things, because they differ so much from the book that I can expect new or different things to happen (dwarf-elven love? goats and wild boars on war gear? are you kidding me? lol). Also because I am a fan of movies like "300" and now I am expectant to see the 5 armies battle on the screen, and how they resolve the "Smaug" thing. And why not, also because they are a presentation of the newest  computer effects and arts and crafts abilities. You can also feel that although they aren't as much "worked" as the LOTR cicle, they display uncountable hours of effort and investment in them.

Finally, with those thoughts in mind, I completely understand and share, at least in a big part, what you think about them, so really there is no need for a big tree to rush anywhere, because ents simply don't rush into anything!! wink

PS: I also have the glasses issue, so I directly discard watching films in 3D.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#819 Thu, Dec18 2014 4:09pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Maenas wrote:

I love the hobbit book, I started my JRRT passion with that book, and I took it to the mountains of my grandfather's village and read it there in the "wild". So when I saw the first movie, and the weird vests on some characters (no coloured coats and hoodies on dwarfs? and then some scenes completely erased, and some others more than 15 minutes longer than they should be) OMG...

Voilà, I totally felt the same as you did. Except I took the book to my cousin's field to read it.wink

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#820 Thu, Dec18 2014 9:11pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Well, my little filmmakers heart was very sad about it all.

I bet I could have made the whole thing, even with most of the "crucial" side elements, into a single 3 1/2 hour film. Of course things would have been cut, but many of them really served no purpose - the Warg sequence in the first film, the stuff with the Nazgul, even much of the White Council bit. The whole bit after Gandalf banishes the Great Goblin could disappear and the Azog confrontation would have been shorter. The battle would have lasted maybe 20 minutes at the end.  It would still have cameos, but less padding things out. Alas, this would have meant losing Tauriel or Bards kids.

The idea of the Tauriel character was great, and probably could have been used instead of Legolas, as a point of identification character amongst the Elves. The actual execution of the character was less good. Saoirse Ronan was rumoured to have been considered for the part. She would have bought some otherworldly quality to the part, and you could do more, with less with such a casting.

The whole thing needed to be filmed more like the Fellowship of the Ring or even Game of Thrones, with way more focus on the cast, and way less on spectacle. When spectacle was needed - Smaug's fall, the battle, the Eagles, then use that spectacle. The rest of the time I kept thinking: wow, they are using this lot to justify the CGI and the 3d and the HFR.  This idea of movie-as-theme park ride has been gathering some steam for a while.

I had hoped the thing would be worth it for the costume designs, or the set designs, something that would inspire miniature gaming or scenery making.  In the end, it all felt a bit sad, and a bit lost.

#821 Sat, Dec27 2014 12:41am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Sorry for interrupting your Christmas-business.
Just returned from the sofa- having some exclusive drinks, exclusive snacks, exclusive touching-moments by the missis- watching DOS, what is the second Hobbit movie.
Excellent. I have to say that. And there was NO "Golden Dwarf" scene inside !!!!!!
(maybe- why that edition is called "SPECIAL" edition!)
So I am well prepared for the final part that weekend . . .

#822 Sat, Dec27 2014 9:43am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

No golden dwarf? I can't believe there's an edition with no golden dwarf. You're teasing us, aren't you Master Archer?

#823 Sat, Dec27 2014 10:30am

erchamion
Adventurer

Tomorrow is December Fool's Day in this region of Middle Earth .... Perhaps the Master Archer has advanced a bit ........ but I recall that their area is held over the April Fools' Day ...... smile
In all Spanish versions (extended or not) the golden figure appears ...... hmm

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#824 Sat, Dec27 2014 1:22pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Ah, so the Archer has found one of those fan edits? hmm, I am sort of looking forward to someone making a single fan edit of the entire trilogy - a single three and a half hour epic, rather than 8 hours of drudgery smile

#825 Sat, Dec27 2014 1:53pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

That´s seems to be a very good idea, Master Gavin.
Did I mention, that I also posses the "SPECIAL" edition of part one- without that rabbit-thing inside . . . cool

Board footer