Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Mon, Jan5 2015 12:18pm

Mornedhel
Traveller

Ghosts in ME:Germanic, Norse and Anglo-Saxon remnants in Tolkien world

Sorry for this out of topic subject

One of my childhood fellow friend wrote a study "Ghosts in Middle-Earth: Germanic, Norse and Anglo-Saxon remnants in Tolkien's fictional world", I would like to share for your critical vision.
Constructive comments are welcome.

If you are interested, please PM me

Thanks

Synopsis :
The aim of this research paper is to focus on examples of ghostly characters in Tolkien’ s fictional works (mainly The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion) and explore the functions of such characters within this author’ s imaginary world. The research draws on older works such as Beowulf and the Scandinavian Sagas, e.g., to relate Tolkien’ s supernatural characters to early medieval literary ghosts; it argues that Tolkien used them on purpose to strengthen his fictional world and the latter’ s social “reality,” to help recreate a complete and “ideal” early heroic age. But the research also demonstrates that although Tolkien’ s ghosts are definitely Germanic in nature, they are also quite specific to the world of Middle-Earth that he created.

Last edited by Mornedhel (Mon, Jan5 2015 12:21pm)

#2 Mon, Jan5 2015 10:55pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: Ghosts in ME:Germanic, Norse and Anglo-Saxon remnants in Tolkien world

I would like to read this study....  not as a critic, but as someone who wants to learn a little better about those mythological links... could you send me.... on PM is my e-mail...

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

Board footer