Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, Mar29 2015 6:56pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Farewell to Bree

I'm having to post these teasers in this thread as I cannot log in to the Gallery (password reset sent - may also need to do same for username as still not working).

This, by default, will also be submitted to the Tabletop World competition, however this was secondary as a series of dioramas depicting scenes from LotR was planned long before I became aware of TTW - the competition was what I needed to get the proverbial 'finger out' and get on with it! lol.

I have has to use considerable artistic license with The Pony especially as the Inn from TTW although it has an arch is in fact much too small for the Pony hence trying to hide 'lost' size with trees. I did convert it to have three stories though.

For my diorama project this is not in fact a completed piece as I need to add a scenic backdrop and make a box for it as there will be two, possibly three further smaller scenes (including the interior of the Pony) that will make this 'set'.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy....wink

Click to close

Click to close

#2 Sun, Mar29 2015 10:09pm

Ori
Traveller

Re: Farewell to Bree

Wonderfull. I have seen more pictures at facebook and I love them. You will need a bigger house now for you and your dioramas.

#3 Mon, Mar30 2015 4:42am

sevlag
Collector
Website

Magnificent work David. Very nice painting. Congratulations. Competition is very serious, the contest is going to be tight wink

#4 Mon, Mar30 2015 6:22am

Milo
The Attic Warden

This incredible again David. I love the colors chosen, the tavern conversion is a great add-on.
Even the mud at the front is perfect. Bravo!cool

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#5 Mon, Mar30 2015 11:49am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

This really is excellent, Master Ddaines, the skilled artisan ... and quite large with so many detailed figures in it. Thank you for providing those pictures here.

#6 Mon, Mar30 2015 1:15pm

shadyt
Traveller

Great work!!!

#7 Mon, Mar30 2015 7:13pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

So glad it's almost over wink, just have to muster the enthusiasm to complete the accompanying dioramas to complete my original idea. I may just need a small break though big_smile.

I can only say good luck with your entry Sevlag - very well done and detailed.

I will try and get some more images in the Gallery once I have managed to re-log in.

Thanks for the kind comments.

#8 Mon, Mar30 2015 8:16pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Dear David... this is awesome piece of diorama... great indeed. I like all seen on your photos. Here and on facebook... you should put this photos on your gallery here on MMP so we could look on them...more often...  do it.. please... smile

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#9 Mon, Mar30 2015 8:27pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Thingol wrote:

Dear David... this is awesome piece of diorama... great indeed. I like all seen on your photos. Here and on facebook... you should put this photos on your gallery here on MMP so we could look on them...more often...  do it.. please... smile

I aim to do so Nino, but had trouble logging on. Once I have it sorted I will do wink

#10 Mon, Mar30 2015 8:34pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Send me some pictures in higher resolution on my e-mail.... or I should come to Romford to see this great diorama...  ;-)

#11 Tue, Mar31 2015 8:39am

Maenas
Traveller

Awesome David!!! I am wishing to see more and bigger pictures of it, from now on, i like the weathering on the roofs and the differently coloured stones, making it more real wink

Good luck to both of you David and Sevlag on the Table Top competition!!!

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#12 Tue, Mar31 2015 2:10pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

I will be honest. I don´t like the buildings. Sorry, it seems, that I am the only one. Too much details for the "mithril-style". But this is only my taste.

EVERYTHING else ( taht includes the painting of the buildings ) is absolutely awesome. The selection of figures is brilliant. (And they fit together, that´s not usual!),
also the composition. And especially the high painting standart- as usual, Master Dave!
Well done!!!!!
(if you need a second house for all your dioramas - tell me, maybe I can help . . . lol )

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#13 Tue, Mar31 2015 7:51pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Turambar wrote:

I will be honest. I don´t like the buildings. Sorry, it seems, that I am the only one. Too much details for the "mithril-style". But this is only my taste.

EVERYTHING else ( taht includes the painting of the buildings ) is absolutely awesome. The selection of figures is brilliant. (And they fit together, that´s not usual!),
also the composition. And especially the high painting standart- as usual, Master Dave!
Well done!!!!!
(if you need a second house for all your dioramas - tell me, maybe I can help . . . lol )

big_smile, A second house would indeed be very helpful Chris, maybe a castle would be even better wink.

Re the buildings, an honest opinion is always welcome - TTW stuff is extremely detailed, almost like a scaled down builder constructed them. I have to admit I do like them a lot, but each to their own smile.

Some 'other' figures arrived today which do appear to be very nicely detailed, so I will see how they look with another TTW building I have.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

#14 Tue, Mar31 2015 11:51pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

This is beyond excellent! Your skills in diorama building are some of the best I have seen, David. You never fail to amaze me with your work! big_smile

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#15 Wed, Apr1 2015 10:27am

Ilendil
Traveller

Stunning. Crisp. Characterful.

I don't think the houses are too detailed, or that the painting would lift forth too much detail. They look rather realistic to me.

-ile

#16 Wed, Apr1 2015 12:49pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Impressive work!

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#17 Mon, Oct17 2016 7:26pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Well finally finished this one (albeit a couple of weeks ago now) and lots of lessons learned! I had considered a hand-painted backdrop, but wasn't happy with the result and as I had a show deadline looming I had to go with something already printed.

The scene is now lit from within (I did create an aperture at the top to let light in, but it was ineffective). The frame isn't as warped as the image suggests, I blame the camera lens wink.

Click to close

Click to close

Hope you like the final result.

#18 Mon, Oct17 2016 9:07pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Looks pretty awesome, but its a shame its so small. Cant really see the details!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#19 Tue, Oct18 2016 11:58am

Ted
Traveller

Fantastic! Could we beg to see some close-ups of the figures?

This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great

#20 Tue, Oct18 2016 12:56pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

This background is a great add-on to your greatest diorama David. Merci et Bravo !

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#21 Tue, Oct18 2016 2:44pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Once I saw a lot of pics showing details of that absolutely marvellous diorama, can't remember where. Wasn't it in connection with an exhibition?
I also think that the two pics here are a bit too small. Furtheron I'm slightly irritated about the foreground which shows an irregular dark area I cannot identify.

#22 Tue, Oct18 2016 8:20pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

As I told you before.... it is really beautiful diorama, dear David..... really beautiful !!!

#23 Tue, Oct18 2016 8:48pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Some of the images may be better viewed at http://www.mithril.ie/PBPhotos.asp pages 3 - 5 of my gallery on the Mithril galleries under David Daines.

The black irregular bit at the bottom Master Tree is from when it was a 'stand-alone' diorama and it wasn't definite (although intended) to build the box. Had I been Master Archer, the planning would have been better smile.

#24 Wed, Oct19 2016 7:50pm

Ted
Traveller

Great detail, thanks for giving us that link.

This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great

Board footer