Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Mon, Dec29 2008 4:44pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth

…… And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the Lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses; and behind them seven hundreds of men at arms, tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark haired, singing as they came.

Click to close

“Amroth for Gondor!” they cried. “Amroth to Faramir!”
Like thunder they broke upon the enemy on either flank of the retreat; but one rider outran them all, swift as the wind in the grass; Shadowfax bore him, shining, unveiled once more, a light starting from his upraised hand.

Well folks, that's that! Apart from some minor touching up (which I will never do hmm the Dol Amroth dudes are done and so am I just about, never will I paint so many horsemen (until the Easterlings anyway) again.

#2 Mon, Dec29 2008 5:32pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth

simply wonderful, David ... if you know what I mean ....

#3 Mon, Dec29 2008 5:59pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Wow!  (There's no shock smiley...big_smile)

That's a lot of work and a lot of detail.  I notice the shield painted (correctly) almost upside down.

Bravo!  smile

#4 Mon, Dec29 2008 6:09pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Amazing.

I shall have to top that somehow big_smile

(Seriously though, its a wonderful scene.)

Mr. Daines, do you have a photobucket or something, I'd love to see your work in much higher resolution.

#5 Mon, Dec29 2008 6:19pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Hey, Mister David Daines, great work-as usual, I have to say. I agree to Gavin, that a higher resolution is absolutely necessary.
Good luck to all those painters out there in topping . . . big_smile
Oh... there is sombody shouting ....the soup is ready.
.... I think, we will have white wine with the soup......wink

Last edited by rita.de (Mon, Dec29 2008 6:22pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#6 Mon, Dec29 2008 6:42pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

There is a very good reason the photo's are not in higher resolution wink and that's because the figures look b****y awful close up. These almost 50 year old eyes can no longer paint eyes on Mithril size figures (which is why I paint and build a lot of 1/6th scale figures).

Seriously though, I guess my strength with Mithril figures is the overall effect and look rather than the close up painted details. When you look at some small scale figure painters you see works of art regarding the painting, I have never considered myself in that league, prefering to have a figure appear as if viewed from 25-50 metres.

Glad you enjoyed them though, but I was desparate just to finish this project and move onto something else (bigger than 32mm, lol).

#7 Mon, Dec29 2008 7:44pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

David, all I can say is that is something to behold! big_smile

Nice Job! Can't wait to see what is up your sleeve next! smile

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#8 Mon, Dec29 2008 11:57pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

huuuuhh-David, what was that I have read before?!  50 years old eyes . . . ( . . . blue eyes, my baby got blue eyes . . . )
Well, you look younger on that foto in Holger´s  "who is who"-section, I must say this.
Ehmmm, I am 10 years younger, but I can agree to you concerning painting these eyes . . .
Must I be afraid of something I cannot stop . . . ?hmm

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#9 Tue, Dec30 2008 11:35am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

rita.de wrote:

huuuuhh-David, what was that I have read before?!  50 years old eyes . . . ( . . . blue eyes, my baby got blue eyes . . . )
Well, you look younger on that foto in Holger´s  "who is who"-section, I must say this.
Ehmmm, I am 10 years younger, but I can agree to you concerning painting these eyes . . .
Must I be afraid of something I cannot stop . . . ?hmm

Ah that photo was taken 3 years ago when our dog was a pup big_smile, I still have 6 months to go though wink

I will post some other photos though, a bit closer up, but what I have found is that the size they reproduce at does make the flaws show up to the detriment of the figures, but let me have a play.

#10 Tue, Dec30 2008 12:14pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Click to close

Here is a closer up image of the Trumpeter that I converted. The trunpet was scratchbuilt hence it looks as if a horse has stepped on it!

I have also given both the trumpeter and standard bearer reversed colours, a bit like you see on Napoleonic trumpeters.

The grass by the way is SILFOR grass matt, quite expensive, but when you see pictures of railway layouts using this it is very good.

#11 Tue, Dec30 2008 12:58pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

simply fascinating .... and marvellous yikes
But now I do not regret any more that I didn't have the time in the last two years to continue paintiging Mithrils ... compared to what I see here my skills are very poor. And I know that figures even look better in reality than in pictures .................... wow ..... wink

#12 Tue, Dec30 2008 1:20pm

erchamion
Adventurer

Well, I think I have said everything. I can only add that it´s an accurate representation that I imagine the scene when I read the book smile
The detail of the flowers on the grass ..... big_smile

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#13 Tue, Dec30 2008 6:12pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Lovely.

I don't paint eyes either. They look pretty weird and starey even at their best. And from a distance most people look like they have a sort of shadow where their eyes are.

And in terms of miniatures, we are looking at someone from a distance. Anyone who can do eyes has my greatest respect. Just I can't big_smile

Gavin

#14 Tue, Dec30 2008 11:13pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

yes Gavin, I agree to you completely. This thing with the "Shadow" along the eyes is a very interesting topic.
My -well let´s call him "mentor" in painting mithrils in oil tries to teach me exactly this.
I don´t remember if he did his job well . . .

#15 Thu, Jan1 2009 9:54am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Really a great Diorama David! you have all my congratulations! a very great piece!

as for eyes... well I do paint eyes but that's always a mysterY... I usually paint them at the very end and with great caution... sometimes (often) I miss them (the look is not straight, not profound enough, not expressive so I begin the face all over... that's the hardest part... but when I have done the eyes, well, the figurine is no more a little tiny piece of lead... once the face and eyes are made (even if the rest is not finished) the figurines have a soul... it's strange how the proverb "eyes are the mirror to the soul" is true in the case of painting figurines.

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

Board footer