Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 Sun, Nov1 2015 11:27pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Re: Mithril Painter's League 01

This is brilliant, David. As you mentioned- not the type Bolrog I dream of- bing a glowing piece of coke- for sure- but who cares.
And I like this Gondolin comparison. Absolutely brilliant choice of colours! And remember the size, fellows . . .
I like also the pale eyes. And I am curious how you will manage the whip.
Material for hiding the wing-gaps???? I found something special in 1066 country . . . he, he, he.
By the way: for my taste the Balrog do look better without wings, generally.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#52 Mon, Nov2 2015 4:20am

orc
Adventurer

Master Ddaines, this Balrog looks trully awasome, superb colors!!! Congrats!!!big_smile do, you've used airbrush to paint it?

But My side, I started painting my Radagast:
Click to close

Click to close

Colours predominant will be Browns, I decided to paint the scarf in green, as a gift of the woodman folk...smile

Click to close

#53 Mon, Nov2 2015 10:22pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I may have an idea for the whip courtesy of a wine bottle wink - I have used this with my second entombed Balrog which is converted (but unfinished STILL!!!) to go with the Gandalf at the Bridge of Khazad-Dum figure. It is the fine wire that was used to decorate the bottle.

Yes Master Orc, most of the Balrog was airbrushed with chalk pastel to shade. The fiery mane is a dry-brush exercise.

#54 Mon, Nov2 2015 10:48pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

What about using fuse wire? I've used this to replace the moulded-on thong on MM408. Makes the whip much more realistic, and the thicker gauges are reasonably robust.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#55 Mon, Nov2 2015 11:10pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Barliman wrote:

What about using fuse wire? I've used this to replace the moulded-on thong on MM408. Makes the whip much more realistic, and the thicker gauges are reasonably robust.

That is an option as well Barli, thank you, hadn't thought of that to be honest although there is far more enjoyment with the former wink. The robustness factor may make fuse wire a safer bet at this scale.

#56 Wed, Nov4 2015 8:48pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I saw many great figures here... it will be interesting to see final results.... btw... David's Balrog is outstanding ;-)

Last edited by Thingol (Wed, Nov4 2015 8:48pm)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#57 Thu, Nov5 2015 6:12am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Yeah David, your Balrog looks great. I do not talk about wings, Otherwise another friendly debate out of topic will take place here.

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#58 Thu, Nov5 2015 8:24am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Whether they had wings or not is open to perpetual debate, but this figure certainly looks better without them.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#59 Thu, Nov5 2015 11:09am

Maenas
Traveller

Really cool advancements peeps!!
@Orc: I think your Radagast version is my favoite over the sculpted one xD althought I pitty for the cat...
@DDaines: Loving your unwinged evil... I agree, it looks much better without those wings. And the material for filling the gapes... maybe Daas paste? milliput? green stuff maybe?

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#60 Thu, Nov5 2015 10:07pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Milo wrote:

Yeah David, your Balrog looks great. I do not talk about wings, Otherwise another friendly debate out of topic will take place here.

Indeed Milo, we mustn't open the did they, didn't they have W....... lol

#61 Thu, Nov5 2015 11:00pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

lol
My mini is painted. Almost as good as I can (unless I buy x2 glasses which I am not ready for ...yet)
Now comes the time for me to have a scrumpy.
I may come back here later on.

By the way, shall I start a small diorama for it?
I intend to keep the mini complete for my glass cabinet...hard to decide without a drink, that's the point.
doors closed

Last edited by Milo (Thu, Nov5 2015 11:05pm)

#62 Fri, Nov6 2015 8:51am

Maenas
Traveller

Choose whatever you prefer Milo, I have the same problem as you, don't wanna make a little diorama/base for the mini because I have all mithrils with their own base and basing one will break the "collection" uniformity... but on the other hand it would be great trying to do so... so all I can say is that if you think that you have time (I would say, go for it) and you have the feeling for doing so you can also make a display diorama/base... that's a decorated base with a "hole" to fit your mini with it's base inside. Don't know If I am explaining it well so here you have a link to what I mean: http://heresyandheroes.com/2014/04/26/d … inthed-it/

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#63 Fri, Nov6 2015 9:22am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

The answer is easy, my firend ( . . . pass him a drink . . . ).
If you decide to present the (well) painted figure in an appropriate way and certainly you want to do that(!),
you HAVE to make a diorama! Bien sure!

@Maenas: A good link, Master Maenas! I tried in the very past to cover the mithril base with a very thin layer of gipsum.
But this works only if you plan a very flat surrounding. Remember the sitiation you want to put the figure on the top of a fallen Tree . . .
I quit this method and cut the base off meanwhiling. Everytime!
(But I am not a collector.)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#64 Fri, Nov6 2015 9:26am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

You could very probably get one of the companies that make MDF laser-cut bases for wargamers to make you a base with a hole cut to the specific size needed for your figure's base. I've had bases made specifically to fit my units of wargame figure regiments, and they come in all shapes and sizes, being specifically cut to suit my unconventional base sizes. Then you could place your figure in the 'hole' or remove it for display with all your other figures.

#65 Fri, Nov6 2015 11:29am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Thanks Gentlemen. I am happy to read fellows asking me to make diorama. big_smile
The idea for a base with fitted hole for 1 mithril is perfect compromise. I go for it !
And who knows if it could somehow help to awake Beorn's house project, asleep somewhere for a year now...wink

This is my new challenge : To find&take the time for a small diorama in next 9 days.
I definitely need another drink !lol

Last edited by Milo (Fri, Nov6 2015 11:30am)

#66 Tue, Nov10 2015 3:41pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Here is my work in progress...(M27 King Theoden). But I chose to paint him as a random King of Man.

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

#67 Tue, Nov10 2015 4:24pm

Maenas
Traveller

Happy to help there Milo!!

@Gerold: Indeed it does look a lot more like a man's king than an elves one, even before any painting. Oh and I like the colours that you have chosen.!

@Truambar: Yup, you are completely right, that idea does not work for very dynamic dioramas or the more realistic ones, but it saves the base for the collectors ones!  ^^

On another issue... How's everyone doing? it will be enough for you all to finish this Sunday or should we extend the deadline a week more from the 15th to the 22d?
I myself will need to hurry things ups a bit or I won't finish (I'm finishing a GK model project now and it's sucking up my time), in any case I'm worried for other more bigger entries or the more complex ones (basing, etc..). I would prefer to extend one week so everyone could work without hurrying it everything in the end. What do you think about it? Do you agree?

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#68 Tue, Nov10 2015 6:55pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

As far as I am concerned, my Broggha is finished. Also the diorama and the "extras". So to say: completely finished.
I just have to wait for Saturday to come to take apropriate photographs. After work it is dark in the meantime, you know . . . wink
So in any case- I will show the work on Sunday !

#69 Tue, Nov10 2015 6:59pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I plan do make small diorama tomorrow. So schedule extension may not be usefull.  If someone needs bit more, no problem for me.
I

#70 Tue, Nov10 2015 8:45pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Bad news gents, I'm out.

I can only paint on weekends and lately I have had to work a couple of them and then travel another, so very little to paint. On top of that I've discovered a mold line on my contest miniature which I have had to remove stripping some paint.

On top of that I've realised Gamling is a Helming (defender of Helm's Deep, man of Erkebrand Lord of Westfold). Thing is Erebrand did have a red shield and I'm wondering is all/most/some Helmings should wear red shields instead of green as well. I have to make up my mind about this and if I go for a red shield in the end, I'll have to change Gamling's painting scheme. Thoughts about this are most welcome!

However, i've managed to paint last weekend and I decided to finish a miniature I had nearly done (since I couldn't make it on time for the contest anyway, I'd need 4-5). it's a Middle-earth themed bearded guy which I'll post in my gallery out of contest (he's not Mithril's and I began it long ago).

Sorry to let you down!

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#71 Tue, Nov10 2015 9:20pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Erkenbrand was recognised from a distance by his red shield, which would seem to indicate that it was specific to him, and not his troops, in just the same way as Eomer's white horsehair plume was specific to him..

#72 Wed, Nov11 2015 1:21am

orc
Adventurer

Master Gerold! your king of Man looks good, nice colors!!!!wink
Master Arthadan, but news..but dosn't matter we are going to have more contest!!! maybe next time;)
By my side, I finished to paint my Radagast ! now working on the base.

I never try with a diorama...because I always considering use the miniatures to play!sad but I'm totally agree is the best way to show a miniature!! I can't not wait to see your works guys!!!!big_smile

Click to close

#73 Wed, Nov11 2015 6:04am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Master Arthadan, our orc master is right, there will be other challenges.wink

I think you are right to delay if your color scheme to be changed.
Once you have painted Erkebrand, no matter when, don't forget to tell us where to watch it. I know how your painting is good and want to see more.

Last edited by Milo (Wed, Nov11 2015 6:05am)

#74 Wed, Nov11 2015 6:07am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Gerold wrote:

Here is my work in progress...(M27 King Theoden). But I chose to paint him as a random King man

Original idea, which realm then? smile

#75 Wed, Nov11 2015 8:57am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Well- if I understood Master Arthadan right, then he is NOT painting Erkenbrand but Gamling- being a man of Erkenbrand . . .
So far- as the friendly Barkeeper pointed out- Erkenbrand is the one with the red shield, not necessarily his men . . .
Overthinking the colour scheme is in general the right idea. Though a red-green-contrast is the classical complementary contrast.
But I do know very less about Master Arthadan´s colour scheme . . .
As mentioned above: there will be other challenges . . .

Board footer