Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Mon, Jun13 2016 7:58pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Re: Helm's Deep - 'The fire of Orthanc'

Ah, I thought my vision was getting dull too! they are indeed very small, as if the scale had been shrinked... that's odd, and I think it may be good to have pictures of similar nude orcs from mithril range, just next to these ones for comparison (and to send to the man)

I fear it may be a "casting shrinkage".... and not the original master fault.... Chris should be warned...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#27 Mon, Jun13 2016 10:13pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Maenas wrote:

It is a pity that Mithril is "promoting" my kind of behaviour... I mean. There must be more people thinking this very same thing... "I will wait for the next discount" If I were the owner I would prefer a kind of steady income, than a couple or three yearly huge incomes. With this method/behaviour they are also discouraging people from the autoshipment, I think....

I certainly am waiting for a juicy discount to get these. No way I'm paying that price for these "dated but charming" miniatures. I recently got some very old Ral Partha miniatures from the 80's (Tom Meier's Goblins) and they are more detailed than these Orcs.

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#28 Mon, Jun13 2016 10:51pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

oh well, considering they are really tiny... what may look "gross" is actually detailed wink a side effect of the "shrinking" of orcs wink

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#29 Tue, Jun14 2016 5:46am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I received my parcel yesterday. I need to have spare time for opening it and have a close look. I think size could be compared to M222.

Last edited by Milo (Tue, Jun14 2016 11:14am)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#30 Tue, Jun14 2016 7:45am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I hope size's not as a M335... for such a small quantity of metal we should wait "shrinking" price of minimum 50% wink

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#31 Tue, Jun14 2016 7:51am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Relying on  my memory, they're smaller and less bulky than either M335 or M222.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#32 Tue, Jun14 2016 7:58am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Then real reduced price should be 60% of 11,95... €

#33 Tue, Jun14 2016 11:16am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I like the idea to have orcs with many different scales. At the end, evil creatures should not be "standardised" too much.

Last edited by Milo (Tue, Jun14 2016 11:20am)

#34 Tue, Jun14 2016 11:47am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I would think that engineers would be big and butch, since they needed to be strong, so twee ones don't look right to me at all. I'm very disappointed with these figures. They look more like 20mm or at best 25mm.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#35 Tue, Jun14 2016 3:07pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well my figures have not arrived yet, but there's one thing I suggest to be considered: Of the new orcs there's one (MM544) who is called "Snaga with torch". Remembering the differences in size that Chris uses it is correct that those Snagas are not that tall than common corcs (compare the old M335 Snagas).
Though I think Master Barliman is absolutely correct saying that engeneers need to have a bigger and stronger body, because of their jobs.

#36 Tue, Jun14 2016 3:16pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I've always been curious about the concept that "Snagas" are some sort of separate sub-species of Orc. In JRRT's writing "Snaga" appears to be just the personal name of two individual Orcs. Where does the "species" notion come from? Is it another MERP invention?

#37 Tue, Jun14 2016 3:18pm

hsf62
Master Caster

If they are small, they only have to dig small tunnels...lollollol

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#38 Tue, Jun14 2016 9:45pm

Arthadan
Traveller

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

oh well, considering they are really tiny... what may look "gross" is actually detailed wink a side effect of the "shrinking" of orcs wink

I beg to differ Master Elf.

Let's take this for example: http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/xenobiologist.jpg

This miniature looks like a nice 30mm... but it is 15mm tall!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vo-W3zkjqo4/U … C02483.JPG

In my opinion tiny miniatures look better with crisp details (as much as the scale allows).

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

#39 Wed, Jun15 2016 10:23am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

In times where it is possible to take photos with mobiles or digital cameras everywhere-
maybe there is somebody out there who is able to post a picture of these small figures . . . ????????
That would be very kind indeed.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#40 Wed, Jun15 2016 10:55am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Personally I don't have a mobile phone nor, at present, a camera.

#41 Wed, Jun15 2016 4:50pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I checked yesterday. Orcs are same kind and size as per M222. So these are standard sized.
Sorry no picture yet master archer. I need to take time for this...which I lack a lot.

#42 Wed, Jun15 2016 4:56pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Wait till you see them "in the flesh" (so to speak). They look disappointingly small and skinny alongside Mithril's other Helm's Deep and War of the Ring era figures.

In particular compare them to LT9 - the most relevant Orc figure Mithril have put out so far.

In my view the only Orc Engineer figure that compares in size and bulk is the "officer" - who, incidentally, has a rather nice shield motif.

#43 Wed, Jun15 2016 10:01pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

what shocked me the most is the tiny faces of these orcs... I know I "hate" painting orcs because I find them lacking details or "thinness" in their body usually, and that's why I was surprised to see a ... thin face for them...

#44 Thu, Jun16 2016 7:16pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Turambar wrote:

In times where it is possible to take photos with mobiles or digital cameras everywhere-
maybe there is somebody out there who is able to post a picture of these small figures . . . ????????
That would be very kind indeed.

Here Master archer some comparison:

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Last edited by Milo (Thu, Jun16 2016 7:17pm)

#45 Thu, Jun16 2016 10:32pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well definitly they lack muscles and head size... the size is correct but the thickness is missing... you can see that mainly on the third pic, the arm muscles are quite different!

same for the head in first picture, the new orc head is too "long" and not wide enough

#46 Fri, Jun17 2016 6:15am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

No matter about this comparison, I think that for such a figures, price of 11.95 Eure is lot of money. I will wait first suitable discount.... !

#47 Fri, Jun17 2016 8:26am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Well- A very big MERCI at this point to Master Milo for his energy to take those pictures and uploaded them!
Quiet interesting to see what everybody here is talking about.
The orc-examples Milo choosed are not that small in my memory . . . the M222 is not small at all, for my taste.
I think- important is that those orcs can be count as a "group". All together they fit.

I think I will have a look "in the flesh" in the near future because I do know a fellow who got them . . . at that time in the future . . . cool

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#48 Sun, Jun19 2016 4:51pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, I received the new orcs some days ago and assembled them yesterday. - Indeed those orcs are slightly smaller than others in the Mithril range (especially if you compare them with orcs from the old "Orc-Army-Set"). All in all I'm not too much disappointed at all. Though ... there's still a certain image in my mind about Saruman's Uruk-Hai, as they were described by Tolkien. Anyway, I'm glad that in the end those figures saw the light. I wish others would follow.

#49 Sun, Jun19 2016 9:37pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Hm. Again I thought about all this. Four of the five new figures are called "Orcish", which implies that they're similar to Orcs, but not exactly the same. - Err, whatever that means. - Then I wonder why they're officially listed by Mithril as MM-figures though the subreferences clearly read 'M' for the old M-series.
But all that might not be of any importance in case the last releases mean that the old M-series is not given up for good.

#50 Sun, Jun19 2016 9:39pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

All very confusing.....

Board footer