Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sat, Jan14 2017 6:44pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Duinhir of Morthond MZ630 Mithril figure.

Arrived today.

I do like the figure regardless of how it was created, but if I am honest, I cannot see the increased 'sharpness' in detail that Michael O'Brien mentions, however there appears to be no drop in quality as far as I am concerned, and if I didn't know this was a Zbrush figure I doubt I would have been any the wiser. I have no complaint with this new 'format'.

Maybe Michael is comparing a non-undercoated casting, and maybe a member with younger eyes will see the difference more clearly, comments welcome.

If it means an increase in releases and more subjects then carry on big_smile.

#2 Sat, Jan14 2017 7:49pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Re: Duinhir of Morthond MZ630 Mithril figure.

Hear, Hear!

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#3 Sat, Jan14 2017 9:18pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

We'll see, I expect to receive it in next few days... Most important here it was 50% lower price... On pictures Duinhir does not looks like figure with a big improvement in details than the prevoius MS miniatures...

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#4 Sat, Jan14 2017 9:56pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

I see Barli, Holger and Dave D here at one time with me!! Drinks all around!

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#5 Sat, Jan14 2017 10:15pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Thanks Master twrich! Much appreciated! tongue

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#6 Sat, Jan14 2017 10:17pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Thank you Tom wink

#7 Sat, Jan14 2017 10:18pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Come on Master Barliman, what drink is this?? sad There is no bloody rat tail in it!!lol

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#8 Sat, Jan14 2017 10:20pm

hsf62
Master Caster

David, I send you a email, because your post box is overflowing....big_smile

#9 Sat, Jan14 2017 10:56pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

hsf62 wrote:

David, I send you a email, because your post box is overflowing....big_smile

Replied, and thanks (will clean out the inbox) lol

#10 Mon, Jan16 2017 11:38am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huuooooôm ... er, sorry ... I just was a bit confused by those lads here having been in the wrong thread meseems ...huomtidom ... double-dóm ...... all I wanted to say is that the Duinhir-figure arrived here today (okidoke, that were some more miles to go from Ireland than just to Master Ddaines' place) .... rhuôm ... ? ... ah, yes, I still remember why I'm writing ... huooomm ... Master Ddaines is completely right with each word about the MZ-figure in his comment ... (which can be found at the very top of this thread) ... huom ... yes, he is ... and - to be honest - my eyes are even a bit older than his, but that does not matter ... gruuûoOmmm ... hom

#11 Tue, Jan17 2017 10:42am

Mornedhel
Traveller

I got mine yesterday.
The feeling about this figure is not the same as for hand sculpted, especially the cape and the face.
Anyway a nice Mithril.

Last edited by Mornedhel (Wed, Jan18 2017 8:39am)

#12 Tue, Jan17 2017 10:48pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

My eys are even better, Master Tree- therefore I didn´t order that miniature at all.
(a simple number inside the depths of the mithril range)
Also the reason why I won´t take part into that painting competition.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#13 Wed, Jan18 2017 11:12pm

mindx2
Collector

Turambar wrote:

My eys are even better, Master Tree- therefore I didn´t order that miniature at all.
(a simple number inside the depths of the mithril range)
Also the reason why I won´t take part into that painting competition.

Did you not want the figure or where you just not interested in that particular design?

#14 Thu, Jan19 2017 8:19am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Yesterday I received the figurine. I carefully looked at, and do not see any particular detail that is especially emphasized. After all it seems like a regularly made figure. In the old way of sculpting. Moreover, some recent figures have more details than this one... but does not matter, because of this MZ mark, I'm bought it for 10,50 Euros and I will paint it.... good price..... wink

Last edited by Thingol (Thu, Jan19 2017 8:20am)

#15 Thu, Jan19 2017 4:48pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

@ Master mindx: I am not interesting in that particular design and therefore I don´t want that figure.
For my taste, the figure has got nothing particulary.
As far as the "new 3D-printer-thing is concerned I have to say, that my Easterling Champion, which is already ready for receiving some paint- is brilliant.
But as Master Thingol pointed out- no more special detail than the regular formed figures.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#16 Fri, Jan20 2017 3:26pm

Maenas
Traveller

I just ordered it the last day of the offer, I find the miniature quite plain and of few interest, but otherwise I found the price interesting and maybe I bite the cheese and try my hand at the contest. Also wanted to check the feel of the new sculpting method (that they surprisingly spent 3 plus year into develop) ...

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#17 Fri, Jan20 2017 4:33pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

The position (again) of that "short sword" is ridiculous for a right-handed person, especially when the person is an archer. Those folds above the quiver with that very last arrow puzzle me a lot. What about the pose of the left leg on that stone? - (Another archer with a foot on a stone) ... Alas, there's no space between the cloak and that other stone ... why does he hold the bow that way? ...

#18 Fri, Jan20 2017 5:00pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

and why is the bow that thick?

#19 Tue, Jan24 2017 6:36pm

Maenas
Traveller

I got quite discouraged and disappointed. No way an enterprise can spend that long time to end up in an inferior quality product. sad

Even without stripping the primer out it's quite evident. I will put some pictures here for you to see what I am talking, then you could check your own models and see.

Also all the model got a general effect of being a bit slanted to a side, that explains the thickness of the neck, the head and the bow I think.

Click to close
Click to close

@Theobald: the folds above the quiver are produced by the quiver's "belt" but it's almost invisible up there.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#20 Tue, Jan24 2017 9:11pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Nice crincles everywhere....smile
I guess I'll wait to see what the next MZ looks like....hmm

Last edited by hsf62 (Tue, Jan24 2017 9:22pm)

#21 Tue, Jan24 2017 9:49pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I fully agree with the above written statements. This figure is nothing special. There are a lot better figures than the this one. The figure was announced as spectacular one and it is made sloppy.... this is my humble opinion...

#22 Tue, Jan24 2017 11:47pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Ahhhhh----- the right decision NOT to buy that figure!
(as a side note: not take part in that painting contest . . . )

#23 Wed, Feb15 2017 10:01am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

As far as my eyes are concerned, the figure is in no way anything different from what we've seen in the past, neither better nor worse. There have been earlier figures that could occasionally be said to be "sloppy" and nothing particularly special, but that will inevitably be the case from time to time. No one can be eternally perfect. And remember, this is one of The Man's first figures designed this way. We all learn and improve from experience! Personally I can't level any particular criticism at it, and, as has been said elsewhere, it it gets the backlog of Fellowship figures clerared that has to be a positive step.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#24 Wed, Feb15 2017 12:59pm

Maenas
Traveller

Barliman wrote:

And remember, this is one of The Man's first figures designed this way.

It's in fact it's fourth designed this way, but the FIRST with it's master printed. (If I did understand all the messages and "excuses" that the company has shared publicly). And we are talking of a professional miniature company not a group of guys that just joined now.

I have miniatures from other brands with their master printed in the same way and with the same program that are by far superior. Those brands did not spend almost three years developing a product nor sell it for this price. That's the reason why I posted on their forum the same images that I posted here, I will not admit a diminish in quality, even if its a "minor" issue that only sharp eyes can appreciate.

Moreover if they do not solve the issue (though I hope they will solve it) I will end up, stopping my buys and starting to sell.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#25 Thu, Feb16 2017 2:28pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I sent yesterday pictures for this painitng competititon.... so...  this figure might ultimately contribute to something good.... of course if I win first place.... ;-) anyway soon we'll see another figures...

Board footer