Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Apr12 2017 11:15am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

The Gladden Fields

Though it's doubtless far too late to change the image people have got fixed in their minds, I thought my patrons might be interested to know that, despite every picture and blog I've seen regarding the Gladden Fields always describing and depicting the iris flowers in question as "yellow", or even "flag irises", they were nothing of the kind. Gladdens (gladens in Anglo-Saxon) are actually mauve-flowered "stinking irises" - iris foetisissima. We have a patch of them in our wild flower garden, and despite their reputation they don't smell too bad at all! You have to stick your nose right into them to notice the aroma.

I only discovered the true identity of gladdens the other day by sheer chance, when I was browsing through a wild flower book I have. So if you ever do a diorama of the events in the Gladden Fields, Master Dave, make sure you render the flowers the right colour!

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#2 Wed, Apr12 2017 10:07pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Re: The Gladden Fields

Barliman wrote:

Though it's doubtless far too late to change the image people have got fixed in their minds, I thought my patrons might be interested to know that, despite every picture and blog I've seen regarding the Gladden Fields always describing and depicting the iris flowers in question as "yellow", or even "flag irises", they were nothing of the kind. Gladdens (gladens in Anglo-Saxon) are actually mauve-flowered "stinking irises" - iris foetisissima. We have a patch of them in our wild flower garden, and despite their reputation they don't smell too bad at all! You have to stick your nose right into them to notice the aroma.

I only discovered the true identity of gladdens the other day by sheer chance, when I was browsing through a wild flower book I have. So if you ever do a diorama of the events in the Gladden Fields, Master Dave, make sure you render the flowers the right colour!

Thank you for that, I will have to check my diorama Master Inn-keep wink

Board footer