Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#2326 Sun, Jul30 2017 10:01pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: THE TAPROOM 3

Cheers Gildor... please take a drink on my account... and keep coming... btw... Chris is very "short" with words for a last 2 years....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#2327 Sun, Jul30 2017 10:04pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well Chris is 65 now and well, people should begin thinking about retirement at this age, what will Mithril become, will it stop, will it have new sculptor ? at this point such questions occur... not to mention the huge backlog to fill (even if I am quite certain almost all of the suggestions are already digitally sculpted...)

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2328 Mon, Jul31 2017 6:29am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

well Chris is 65 now and well, people should begin thinking about retirement at this age, what will Mithril become, will it stop, will it have new sculptor ? at this point such questions occur... not to mention the huge backlog to fill (even if I am quite certain almost all of the suggestions are already digitally sculpted...)

We'll see.. actually after the Chris decide to quit with his sculpting... even with digital design... I will stop buying miniatures... there is no "feeling" anymore....

#2329 Mon, Jul31 2017 7:07am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Though there are lots of excellent figure designers these days, how could anyone take over from Chris? His style is unique and epitomises Mithril.

Mithril = Chris Tubb, and Chris Tubb = Mithril.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#2330 Mon, Jul31 2017 8:45am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well i hate to say that but that's true but closing a line such as mithril could be done with "anticipation" and not in a rush... it could "come to an end" peacefully and not abruptly, well I think

also, there is a way that could allow for others to take over Chris work but that would not be "Chris" exactly, and that may be one of the reasons Chris went into Zbrush and 3D sculpting.

using Zbrush, he was able to create "generic templates" of his sculpting style, making it adaptable for any further figurines (that incluse body proportions, heads/hair/face templates, texturing templates for armors and clothes..... well a bit like they do in a video game,  every new character is not designed from scratch but taken out of a source template to match the overall style...
Ironically that's why he sculpts quite faster than before and can correct masters before test castings without resculpting all.... but that also seems the reason it takes so much time to transform a 3D model into a proper physical master. (I don't think final commercial casting is impacted)

the casting out of 3D and the rendering is another matter , out of Chris' hands but the sculpting can now be 'saved' digitally...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2331 Mon, Jul31 2017 1:56pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

All what I want to see is engraved CTubb on base... all this digitally saved templates is not interesting for me any more... Than Mithril can exist till the end of the century... but this is not interesting any more... no soul, no spirit, no imagination, no voting, nothing... just ordinary miniatures in some scale, like the bunch of toy soldiers.... Digitally saved sculpting... I know that it is interesting, but this is not for genuine collections any more... this is for playing RPGs....

#2332 Mon, Jul31 2017 2:49pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Sooner or later..... say Farewell to Mithril at last. I see the Star above my mast!hmm

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#2333 Mon, Jul31 2017 3:54pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

No, that's just because you've drunk too much scrumpy. I normally see pink elephants.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#2334 Tue, Aug1 2017 3:30pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Or mice coming out of power points..... lollollol (on a side note... I had enough tongue )

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#2335 Mon, Aug7 2017 2:29pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I am lazy, no time for reading but only for rest seated here, with good ale until tomorrow morning for breakfast.
Barliman ? a pint or 2 for me please. tongue

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#2336 Mon, Aug7 2017 2:40pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Nice to see you again. Hope you ate well and drank well wherever it was you went!

#2337 Mon, Aug7 2017 4:32pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I did Master Barliman. I spent 2 weeks around "Pays Basque". Believe me, food, drinks and more are just what hobbits do like: greedy & tasty tongue

#2338 Tue, Aug8 2017 8:25am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Hi Milo it is nice to see you arround, please join me on fresh and cold beer in this very hot day.... Please master innkeeper can you serve us !

#2339 Tue, Aug8 2017 8:28am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Hot?? It's piddling with rain here in Bree!

#2340 Tue, Aug8 2017 8:32am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Yes it is in this our virtual world, weather is hidden in our heads. Send me some thoughts to Croatia. We did not see the "proper" refreshing rain all month ...

#2341 Tue, Aug8 2017 9:02am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

You can have as much of it as you want, Master Thingol! We've plenty and to spare. Ah, just as I wrote that it seems to have stopped - so perhaps it got my message very quickly and the clouds are now skimming in your direction.

#2342 Tue, Aug8 2017 9:02am

erchamion
Adventurer

Rain? Is that what fell from the sky and wet the barrows?....... roll

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#2343 Tue, Aug8 2017 11:34am

Tolwen
Traveller

So hi guys, I'll sit down and take a short rest from all the OM work. It looks like #17 is finally done at last... wink

Visit  Other Minds Magazine, an unofficial magazine for roleplaying and academic interests in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth and beyond.

#2344 Wed, Aug9 2017 6:29am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Click to close

Take a look guys Treebeard's comming.... cheers dear wooden friend... I hope Master tree is somewhere around, to be with him on drink in our beloved inn...

Last edited by Thingol (Wed, Aug9 2017 6:30am)

#2345 Wed, Aug9 2017 6:45am

Milo
The Attic Warden

OMG. I wish I could see that tree in real life !

Master Barliman, time for breakfast ! what's on your menu today ? tongue

#2346 Wed, Aug9 2017 7:21am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

That's a very nice picture, Master Thingol. I may be wrong, but it looks like a painting rather than a photograph. Which is it - can you tell from the original?

#2347 Wed, Aug9 2017 8:32am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooomm ... very nice indeed ...

#2348 Thu, Aug10 2017 2:12pm

mindx2
Collector

That is pretty cool... I always knew Ents were real but they don't move much (or pose for pictures like he did) around my part of Middle-earth. big_smile

#2349 Tue, Aug15 2017 8:31pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well i'm back from my long but still too short holiday !

I'm glad to see that from the 11 figurines I had taken to paint, I finished 9 and almost finished the 2 others... that was productive... 10 figurines per year... I have 400 figurines yet to paint...  40 years... well that should do it !

oh please, a drink, i have a headache....

#2350 Tue, Aug15 2017 8:41pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Welcome (?) back! Howver, not sure if havine one of my drinks is the best cure for a headache, Master Elf....

Well done on getting a good bit of painting done - very impressive determination!

Board footer