Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Wed, Aug16 2017 7:30pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

some pictures before dedicated gallery

well as I do/did not have time yet to make good pictures for the gallery for individual references or scenes or dioramas, I'll just post a little sample here of some of the last (or some former...) figurines I have painted of late.

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

(NB: the smoke around Denethor and his palantir was quite hard to realize but I'm quite proud of it, it has not moved at all in two years, and I supposed the more it becomes dusty the better ! )

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Wed, Aug16 2017 7:51pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: some pictures before dedicated gallery

Very nice ! :-) three trolls and Dunharrow rider are great !

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Wed, Aug16 2017 8:21pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well I wonder if I should not start over on the Dunharrow Rider, he really is too "basic" with those fluo greenish and white with bright varnish... not enough details hmm

glad you like it smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#4 Thu, Aug17 2017 4:09pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

Good job Master Gildor :-)
Like Master Thingol, I like the trolls : good painting job, good green ;-)

#5 Thu, Aug17 2017 4:28pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well thanks a lot for the trolls ! but what about the other figurines? smile

#6 Thu, Aug17 2017 4:36pm

sevlag
Collector
Website

Great painting job for the other figures... But, I have some preferences...
Thror with the Arkenstone is very good too ;-)

#7 Thu, Aug17 2017 5:56pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

actually it is the very last one i painted (as you can imagine...)
to paint the arkenstone i improvised a technique

white base, then several touches of heavily diluted colors all around (red, blue, green, yellow, purple) then i mixed a small quantity of silver (brightest silver color) directly with bright liquid varnish, (no water)
and i applied several touches of this silver+bright varnish on top of the arkenstone only (the rest of the figurine was already painted and mat varnished, only the arkenstone is bright varnished)

indeed the result is not well rendered in pic but in reality, the arkenstone really looks like it is suppose to look...

#8 Fri, Aug18 2017 11:18pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, don't you all get me wrong ,please, but until now I still cannot cope with that appearance of the oathbreakers of Dunharrow as they were presented by P. Lackson in his movie. For me that was one of his worst ideas in the trilogy. The painting instruction of that other company (I will not name here) of course comes close to the way the army of the dead was presented in the film. That greenish, slimy but shiny choice of colours to me is absolutely inacceptable and does not fit at all. - Alright, it's just my point of view and I don't want to criticize anybody who is of a different opinion. I just could not hold back this comment as that choice of ill-green colours hurts my eyes.
By the way there already were some very nice Mithril figures of deads in the old M-series. Fortunately nobody decided to paint them in such a ridiculous colour "scheme" as Jackson chose to present, as far as I know.

#9 Fri, Aug18 2017 11:50pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well I have to agree somehow with you master ent, I am not very fond of my own greenish painting I'm trying to find an in-between with the King of Dead I am currently painting.

I still think there should be something "spectral" in their appearance, they are not simple undead skeletons, nor are they uncorporeal ghosts or spirits... There are many kinds of undead in Tolkien universe (barrow wights, nazgul, deadmen of Dunharrow and of course all other skeletons or ghoulish beings invented by ICE) but all have their "unique" origin and well, aspect...

I think I should repaint the horseman but only slight shades (but very discrete) of glowing paint for the "body" parts, not their armors or clothes... only the bones or "flesh"....

#10 Sun, Aug20 2017 6:38pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Well,
As far as I can see, your painting skill is Very good Master Gildor. T0anks for showig !
I like also you colors for elves.
I wish I could paint as many as you manged to.
About Master Ent greenish undead, well, I am perpelx:
- When I read the books, I never imagined path of the deads with any green at all
- When I saw the movie, I quite enjoyed this joice as I felt it was funny to see Gimli scared with these ghosts around

Now about painting undeds, well, if it's a skeleton, it's not green for sure. unless it felt in a GW pot :-)

Last edited by Milo (Sun, Aug20 2017 6:38pm)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#11 Sun, Aug20 2017 7:19pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well the green is often used in many media for specters... you can see the bluish greenish glow as a sign of disease, greed, jealousy or other aspects... in Ghostbusters, ghosts often use greenish glow, in the 12 works of Asterix, the Roman army of Dead (11th work) they are spectral skeletons too...

I think the concept of "spectral skeleton" is cool, but that does not mean the armors or cloths should be spectral too only the skeleton and what remains of flesh or hair should glow... (well, in the case of the army of the dead)

I don't remember how ICE depicted the army of the dead too but they are glowy at least in the MECCG card games as a faction...

#12 Sun, Aug20 2017 10:29pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

All nice work Master Elf. Agree with the Tree (rhyme not intended tongue ) that PJ's green ghouls were spoilt by their rendition which was a shame as I liked the look of them under the luminosity.

I painted mine pretty much as I think they would have looked had the existed, i.e. 'natural' colours but faded and dirtied.

Would love to have had some more in the Mithril range!

#13 Sun, Aug20 2017 10:32pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

p.s. If I get to it roll (having just moved house in June) my next, almost completed project is (Master) Gildor and the Elves meeting the Hobbits wink.

#14 Sun, Aug20 2017 11:48pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

you're making your own vignette of Frodo meeting Gildor master Daines?  Actually I don't really like the way Gildor is sculpted in the mithril range (either in 32 or 54mm)... something to do with his hair I think...

#15 Mon, Aug21 2017 8:22am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

ddaines wrote:

p.s. If I get to it roll (having just moved house in June) my next, almost completed project is (Master) Gildor and the Elves meeting the Hobbits wink.

hm :-) .... news from the David's "Diorama manufactory workshop"... sounds great !

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#16 Tue, Aug22 2017 8:51am

Gerold
Adventurer

This is how I painted the Dead Rider : rotting flesh for the horse, manes and tale black, leather and cloaths of the rider only grey tones, the head 'bleached bone' and white highlight, and metallic for the chainmail, helmet, and weapons, all washed with black inkt.

Click to close

Last edited by Gerold (Tue, Aug22 2017 8:53am)

#17 Tue, Aug22 2017 9:42am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well I really like your version Gerold, all washed with black ink is a good idea i think ! that could do it for me too , though maybe I would "watch over the skeleton parts in something glowy just for the face maybe, but dark is cool too

Board footer