You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Tue, Nov14 2017 8:32am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Tolkien's world on Amazon Prime...

Well, this was unexpected! –

https://middle-earth.xenite.org/jeffbez … en-estate/

I'm not sure if I'm happy about it or not. If all of Tolkien's material, including Unfinished Tales and the Silmarillion, is included in the deal, that would certainly make it interesting. But it will all stand or fall on the strength and integrity of the end product.

It's also a bit of a bugger that it will (initially at least) be exclusive to Amazon Prime - which I don't have.

What do you all think about the news?

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#2 Tue, Nov14 2017 9:11am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: Tolkien's world on Amazon Prime...

Very interesting.. very interesting. I hope one day this will find a way through the misty mountains and come into the our TV screens...

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#3 Tue, Nov14 2017 3:35pm

Maenas
Traveller

Looking forward that day Master Thingol!

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#4 Wed, Nov15 2017 5:21pm

hsf62
Master Caster

I do have Amazon Prime!winkcool

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#5 Wed, Nov15 2017 5:35pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I've never thought of it being worth having - until now. That, of course, was Amazon's strategy. Having failed to bully us into getting it by not selling certain products to anyone except Amazon Prime members, thie is obviously Plan B.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#6 Thu, Nov16 2017 8:24am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

More news on the Tolkien / Amazon deal:

https://middle-earth.xenite.org/christo … en-estate/

The reason for the Estate's movement regarding rights to other Tolkien works now becomes apparent, resulting from:

1) Christopher Tolkien's retirement / reesignation / removal as chief executive of the Estate; and
2) The fact that Amazon have paid an advance of half a billion dollars...

What these sorts of sums will do to Mithril's rights to produce their figures remains to be seen.

#7 Thu, Nov16 2017 10:47am

Maenas
Traveller

Barliman wrote:

More news on the Tolkien / Amazon deal:
1) Christopher Tolkien's retirement / reesignation / removal as chief executive of the Estate; and

I am not sure if I am happy or worried now.... roll
I think might have been a little restrictive with everything, but at least he has been coherent... who knows what will happen to Tolkien universe now, I hope it will maintain it's "nonwarhammer" essence..

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#8 Thu, Nov16 2017 11:00am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I think it would be a GREAT idea for Lars and Chris (tubb not Tolkien) to propose themselves to the tolkien estate now to have rights to produces figurines based on the books now... for years it was Chris (Tolkien not Tubb) who was against the idea but I seem to remember others from the tolkien family (Michael Tolkien, one of the grandsons) who had nothing against...

I'd gladly try to sort something out if I can reach Michaël (Tolkien, not O'brien) like I did back in the days... but first it would be cool to hear from Chris (Tubb not Tolkien)....

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#9 Fri, Nov17 2017 1:15am

mindx2
Collector

Could this help open the door for figures based on The Silmarillion?! One can hope can't he....?!!

#10 Fri, Nov17 2017 7:19am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

It's bound to - from other companies. even if not from Mithril. Interesting times lie ahead.

I shall be especially interested to see if the creative licences issued also allow for new fiction to be written, though this would need to be very well written and carefully controlled and edited to ensure the style is in keeping with JRRT's meticulous use of older English words and grammar.

#11 Fri, Nov17 2017 10:39am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

adapting and porting to screen is one thing, creating ex nihilo is another...

when I saw for example the cutscenes and movies from the Warner Bros computer games "Shadow of Mordor" and Shadow of War, i was furious... Certainly some of us know about it, it's a pure abomination...

an unknown ranger from the north (named Talion) merging with the ghost of old Celebrimbor who has grown megalomaniac into creating a second "One Ring" himself, but "good version"... calling himself the Bright Lord,  fighting with Sauron, almost defeating him single handedly on who knows which battleground... the siege of Minas Ithil with a Gondorian general named Castamir with his daughter Idril..... Galadriel elven "royal assassin" sent to help, Isildur being in fact a Nazgul against his will (after he was slain, Sauron, as Annatar (oO) putting a Ring of men on his finger... then being defeated...
Shelob taking the appearence of a gorgeous girl...with the appearance of Liv Tyler, like Lolth in the dungeons&dragons, and getting a ring... and almost "kind"....

and some say Peter Jackson made horrors... you have seen no horrors until you've seen those computer games which reinvited all tolkien paraphernalia... pieces of garbage! (visually great, but even MERP never did such outrageous lore assasination)

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#12 Fri, Nov17 2017 11:02am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Happily I've never witnessed the travesty you describe, and I shall now make a point of never doing so!

#13 Fri, Nov17 2017 1:04pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well all of this is presented as a prequel to the Lord of the Rings... in a location that does not have any impact on the events of the Hobbit at all... but at the end it "matches" what happens in the LOTR movie if you have never read the other books... that's the greatest trickery.... for those who only saw the movies and are not aware of the other writings this seems TOTALLY legit !!  and I do hope that this new deal with Amazon could correct such nonsens even if they take some freedom that can't be worse that what I describe here... which was one of the big reasons of the Tolkien Estate suing Warner Bros for what they did

#14 Fri, Nov17 2017 2:06pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

The problem I find with all this non-JRRT material is that it has no heart or soul. It lacks any sensitivity for the author's meticulously imagined and described history, his deep understanding of the etymology of the Anglo-Saxon language and his expert understanding and use of surviving Dark Age literature and mythology. I have this recurrent dread that we'll eventually end up with someone in Gondor saying, in an American accent, "Hey guys, the goddam orcs are attacking again!"

Perish the thought.

#15 Fri, Nov17 2017 2:13pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

yeah , well that's precisely the case in those games... they are hollywood blockbusters.... that's the same as playing Mortal Kombat with Gandalf, Legolas, or Sauron or the Witch king as avatar....

soulless and utterly useless.... One can only hope that Amazon will do better than that.... that's possible yet highly improbable... But since IT happened, I thought it could be a good thing that Mithril tries to position themselves to release material from those era, because well Mithril have this sensitivity and soul actually....

I am a dreamer.... and considering Chris Tubb advancing age, i doubt i will ever see it realised, but the fight between Melkor and Finglofin rendered in the same manner as Sauron vs Elendil and Gil-Galad would certainly be epic in Chris Hands.  (Assuming Melkor has the size of a Stone Giant, not a troll...)

#16 Fri, Nov17 2017 2:50pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Well, I'm older than you, young Gildor, but I would still hope to see it too!

#17 Fri, Nov17 2017 11:53pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

rhu°ooOmm ... huom ... right you are, Master Barliman ... huom ... it's good to witness that the young ones still have dreams and hopes concerning this matter .... hmm

Board footer