Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 Sat, Dec9 2017 5:25pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Re: THE TAPROOM 4

I didn't order one yet, so can't really comment. However, looking at the pictures alongside my own M136 I suspect I'd agree, so I may not buy the MZ figure and will save my money towards another.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#52 Sat, Dec9 2017 10:53pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huoomm ... I'll try to take pics tomorrow ... just to prove what I said ... gruuuûoomm .... you're happy not to be a collector, Master Barliman ... huoomm

#53 Sun, Dec10 2017 7:58am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

as i said on official boards this is dire news indeed, I had not seen your post here yet master ent. but pics are absolutly necessary (not for us) but to show and prove Mithril the facts. I had the impression there was a shrink in size since first MZ release remember? now it seems to grow concrete. They have to do someting about it
i'm fairly certain its a matter of scale when 3D printing and then building moulds around this 3D cast.

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#54 Sun, Dec10 2017 8:39am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I know nothing of any value about 3D printing, but shouldn't it be possible to simply input a different instruction to the computer to get it to "up" or adjust the size of the printed output as necessary? It's pretty naff technology if it deoesn't enable such correction..

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#55 Sun, Dec10 2017 10:54am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Interestingly I have measured the recent Gildor figure and it is about 32/33mm in height as is a sample of other older figures, which is I think Mithril scale, although as elves were supposed to be taller than your average human, maybe they are slightly vertically challenged roll.

I haven't received the Galadriel vignette, but snow allowing, hopefully here next week.

Is the issue maybe a visual one where the figures are maybe the same height, but are slighter in build which makes them look smaller?

Most of my figures are in boxes after our house move so not easy to do a general comparison of human/elf heights.

As Barliman says, I thought the printing/digital sculpting method should allow for variations in scale as indeed some manufactures do.

#56 Sun, Dec10 2017 12:48pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

they may be the same height, which does not mean the same overall scale... if they are thinner with same height that could mean they are 'globally" smaller but "elongated" to match the height

but the ratio is thus messed up... really a photo side by side with "mirror of galadriel" old figurine is required to compare here, as both figurines are similar

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#57 Sun, Dec10 2017 1:33pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I still did not order this vignette... after these comments I think I will wait for easter discount... ;-)

Actually I cannot understand why they do such mistakes, again and again... I was thinking that this printing/digital sculpting should be easier for producing new figures... so I think that it is possible  to "calibrate" all individual sizes of all races and program those values in computer program for all future prints...

I'm sure they could compare all those scales and keep the body measures uniform for all future print figures.

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#58 Sun, Dec10 2017 2:27pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huoomm ... please concentrate on the size and scale and not on my poor attempt of painting that old M136 some decades ago ...

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

... huom ... I hope these pics might help a bit to judge on that matter ... grrruhomm ... I have to excuse again about the poor quality ...

#59 Sun, Dec10 2017 2:34pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

The older versions of the figures are far superior. Shame.

#60 Sun, Dec10 2017 2:47pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooomm ... gruhomdom? ... at the moment I'm thinking about offering lessons for learning basic skills in painting "antique-finish" correctly as with the new Christmas figure there's not only some massive assembly required but also to provide the figure with the good-old typical finish we have known for so many years .... gruuuûom ... remember my version of that MX-UP?

Click to close

keep smiling, please .... rhûommtrouble di domm ... whatever that means

#61 Sun, Dec10 2017 3:07pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooômmm ... sorry ... so what do we have now at the end of 2017 ? ... new bases, new design and castings that require certain skills in assembling ... grrrûom ... the good-old grey primer is gone for good and leaves us with a certain "prime the figure yourself" idea of new generations of Mithril figures ... hoom ... even the old simple characteristics of the bases seem to have been gone ... alas ... what more is to come? ...

#62 Sun, Dec10 2017 3:27pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

they may be the same height, which does not mean the same overall scale... if they are thinner with same height that could mean they are 'globally" smaller but "elongated" to match the height

but the ratio is thus messed up... really a photo side by side with "mirror of galadriel" old figurine is required to compare here, as both figurines are similar

That's what I meant wink, although the height appears to be similar, some do look a bit thinner than others.

#63 Sun, Dec10 2017 10:18pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

... huoomm ... I better do not answer ... grrrûom ... as this is provided in public ....hm

#64 Mon, Dec11 2017 11:56am

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Well Galadriel in Terrible Form and Aragorn at the Black Gate have arrived along with another older GF mounted figure - Gothmog.........

Sadly I can confirm Master Theobald's observations about the size of Galadriel in Terrible form being of a slighter build than previous incarnations, head and hands both appear smaller even if height is pretty much similar. It is noticeable certainly when held next to the other Galadriel with her Mirror.

Painted as a stand-alone it may not be quite so noticeable, we shall have to see. Also quite annoyingly Galadriel's clothing is different with the new figure having some patterning on it which the other doesn't (this is more annoying to me for project reasons).

Re: Aragorn, I liked the look of this figure from first sighting and although I haven't compared the figure to another for a size comparison, what is noticeable is that his horse, compared to Gothmog's is noticeably larger both in length, and in width (certainly at the tail end).

If I get a chance later I will take a photo, but it would appear that the Mithril paradox continues roll

Any hot wine around here please Master Inn-keep?

As no hot wine was forthcoming roll I did a quick compare to the Aragorn/Gothmog casting and Aragorn does appear slightly larger, or at least his head is slightly taller than his evil counterpart tongue. As the shape of the two figures is similar it was a useful comparison.

Last edited by ddaines (Mon, Dec11 2017 1:12pm)

#65 Thu, Dec14 2017 10:09am

Milo
The Attic Warden

H everyone,

Sorry for being out for a while. I will read here and come back for a drink later.

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#66 Thu, Dec14 2017 10:18am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Hadn't missed you, Master Milo - you're too short for me to see above the top of the bar anyway!

#67 Thu, Dec14 2017 11:02am

Milo
The Attic Warden

No offense but, who cares for regular customers here apart from the man in the dark and the Tree ? roll

Now I can sit, ask for lunch and good ale. tongue

#68 Thu, Dec14 2017 11:03am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Theobald wrote:

huoomm ... please concentrate on the size and scale and not on my poor attempt of painting that old M136 some decades ago ...

Click to close Click to close Click to close Click to close
... huom ... I hope these pics might help a bit to judge on that matter ... grrruhomm ... I have to excuse again about the poor quality ...

Your pictures of last vignette reminds me of some LR minis which I have always found:
- better detailed, more difficult to paint
- too many parts, more difficult to assemble
- more expensive, more difficult to get one
- sometimes wrong size
- wrong color, "do it yourself" as the Tree said
- wrong style

At the end : wrong

Does anyone feel the same ?

Last edited by Milo (Thu, Dec14 2017 12:12pm)

#69 Thu, Dec14 2017 11:26am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Well, if you think I don't care for my regular customers then you'll have to get the tree or the man in the dark to serve you in future. Good luck with that!

#70 Thu, Dec14 2017 12:03pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

lol
à ta santé Barli !

#71 Thu, Dec14 2017 1:57pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Have a few pretzels on mne.

#72 Thu, Dec14 2017 2:03pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Miam. Thanks for these delicious biscuits. Now I'm thristy and would fancy to offer you a drink. KCHINK.

Come on take a sit and tell me about news you hear around Bree.roll

#73 Thu, Dec14 2017 2:08pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Actually, I've just been drinking more than I should at lunchtime, so will certainly sit down, but I'll pass on the drink, thanks very much.

Love the upcoming half-orc hornist by the way. Great link to Mithril's Celtic/Germanic interpretation of Dunlending culture.

#74 Fri, Dec15 2017 6:50am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Yeah true the miniature looks very promising and new.
Still I wonder how you can say you like these half evil creatures...

#75 Fri, Dec15 2017 7:38am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

They always pay their bar tabs.

Board footer