You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, May11 2018 1:27am

mindx2
Collector

Rebooting the Mithril line?

Did anybody else catch this from Michael O'Brien over on the Mithril forum:

http://mithrilfigures.proboards.com/thr … llTo=13279

I believe we plan on rebooting the series rather than keep the current one going, due to the change in production now. We cannot keep making the older classics.

Is he just talking about the Classics line or a more company-wide reboot?

#2 Fri, May11 2018 5:26am

hsf62
Master Caster

Re: Rebooting the Mithril line?

I'm sure he meant the classic line only! It only will take about 10 years or so....lol

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#3 Fri, May11 2018 12:39pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, let's face it. - The LO,LR,LT series were gone for good some "ages" ago. We cannot really believe (hope) that the basic and original M-series will ever be revived. So Helm's Deep III was the last of it (five figures instead of 10). That "Classic Line" now has obviously run out, too. That's ok, because it didn't provide anything new. - I cannot believe that it will never be "rebooted", as Michael O'Brien said.  - The interest (better: willingness ?) in further MX-releases also is gone for good, I think. - - - - So, what's left? - That now called MZ-fellowship releases (former MS) is all there is left.

Ah well, Master Hsf62, I don't think that in 10 years time there will be anything left to cut, close down, sell or "reboot".

#4 Fri, May11 2018 3:24pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Theobald wrote:

Well, let's face it. - The LO,LR,LT series were gone for good some "ages" ago. We cannot really believe (hope) that the basic and original M-series will ever be revived. So Helm's Deep III was the last of it (five figures instead of 10). That "Classic Line" now has obviously run out, too. That's ok, because it didn't provide anything new. - I cannot believe that it will never be "rebooted", as Michael O'Brien said.  - The interest (better: willingness ?) in further MX-releases also is gone for good, I think. - - - - So, what's left? - That now called MZ-fellowship releases (former MS) is all there is left.

Ah well, Master Hsf62, I don't think that in 10 years time there will be anything left to cut, close down, sell or "reboot".

hmmsad

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#5 Fri, May11 2018 5:56pm

Mornedhel
Traveller

Mithril is not a commercial viable enterprise and only survive by Lars love for those minis. An Grupa Edman which run the names Prince August, Mithril miniatures, the lord of the ring company, e-tek, the edman collection and the toy soldier factory has a current liabilities of -826.000 euro :-/

#6 Fri, May11 2018 6:45pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I don't want to be pessimistic, but that makes me wonder if the Man is still "among us" hmm   changing so drastically methods after the man spent years developping templates of his own specific style in the Zbrush software could make his legacy "live" (well somehow...) with the help of any good 3D sculptor without any actual sculpting skills...

which leads me to ask... has any of you heard any news from Chris in the last two years?

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#7 Fri, May11 2018 10:36pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Alright, Mornedhel, I think you are right with the fact that Mithril has now for so many years been nothing more than just a hobby for Lars Edman . Some of us might know what it means to have an expensive hobby. At least he kept it alive until now and I am very glad that he still sticks to it.

Anyway, what I simply wanted to say with my last entry is, that I'm aware of the fact that production and a concept for further developments of the PA "Mithril" range has been declining for quite some years and now there's just the MZ-series left.

#8 Sat, May12 2018 11:05am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

.... lots of pessimistic thoughts is written here.... but all of them are completely based on real feelings... I think soon we'll have possibility to tell one loud and decent "farewell" to Mithril.... miniatures....

#9 Sat, May12 2018 11:28am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, dear Thingol, I wouldn't call those thoughts pessimistic. I think realistic might be the better word. Anyway, you know my thoughts well enough when you remember your recent stay at my place when we discusssed these matters together with Turambar.
No, I don't want to spread any pessimism about the future of Mithril among all of us collectors, diorama-builders, table-toppers, etc. as I have really enjoyed collecting the miniatures for some decades.

#10 Sat, May12 2018 11:34am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

You are right Master Theobald... it is better not to think about this "realistic" situation... as collectors we need to enjoy as much we can... .... so until it goes, it goes... lol tomorrow does not exist anyway...

#11 Sat, May12 2018 12:37pm

mindx2
Collector

Well here is Michael's reply over on the Mithril board:

A new line of miniatures for key characters, not simply remakes of the older ones. I cannot give you specifics but the classic series cannot be continued as it currently is, as we have changed production methods.

So it looks like they're going to try one more "Classic Character" line of new sculpts. Maybe similar to the old LT or LR figures? I specifically asked if Chris T. is involved with this new line. We'll see if he answers...

#12 Sat, May12 2018 6:58pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I must admit my interest (I should say my passion rather than interest which is still there) in Mithril has dramatically dwindled in the last two years since I lost contact with Chris. Whatever the issue or reason of this lack of communication won't change the fact this interest has grown from passionate to nostalgic ... I don't even check anymore if I have received the last releases in the mail or if they are in good shape. I simply open the letter, put the blister in a box on a shelf in a dark room with the hundreds others taking dust... and that's all ... sad  when I think about it that makes me sad... but that's the cycle of life ...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#13 Sun, May13 2018 8:48am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

I'm not 100% sure yet but first time when somebody announce that Chris is not officially sculptor of our beloved mithril miniatures, I will stop buying them... :-/
Actually old handly sculpted figures are much better for me than the recent MZ products...

hooummm...the first time I mentioned word "product"... instead miniatures.... that's no good

#14 Sun, May13 2018 4:37pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Thank you for those words, Gildor. You found good words of what I have been feeling about the devolpment of Mithril for quite some time, er, years. Though I still open the blisters to check if they contain all parts. Of course, after that I prime the figures with a primer Mithril once provided (spray primer from a company in Manchester, I think) just to let them fit into the last space of my MS/MZ glass cabinet.
Indeed it is very much disappointing that Chris Tubb does not react any more. We have seen much better times about this in the past, haven't we. And I have learned that we're not the only ones. - Yes, it also has been making me sad for a long time.
I will try not to forget to cancel my "autoshipment" next week, as the frequent annual sales (there are about 3 or four every year, I think) are better than keeping up that autoshipment for some decades.
Sorry to be that honest with this entry.

#15 Sun, May13 2018 4:54pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Hmmm I was saying that for years. Mithril is only the write of for PA. Seems the write of wasn't to good with current liabilities of -826.000 euro! Doesn't sound to good..... With Chris out of the picture Mithril only kept alive through MZ... Not to much longer anymore I think. Very sad indeed, but as Master Gildor said that's the cycle of life ...! Things come things go! At least I can built my diorama without Mithril producing any minis.... and if I really need a figure, there are enough around on ebay or I ask the Attic warden!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#16 Sun, May13 2018 4:56pm

hsf62
Master Caster

But on the other hand I'm very happy that we are still together here on MMP

#17 Sun, May13 2018 4:57pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Alas, dear Thingol, you`re right somehow -  though I think that producing further Mithril-figures in high quality is not a matter of technical concepts or lack in craft. I think the problem is based on that "concept" (if you can call that a concept) that Mithril miniatures have been reduced to a single series (MS/MZ) that is based on some ideas of "suggestors". There have been no more interesting new ideas for years. Except if you regard over-and-over repetition of suggestions being the base of innovation.
So where's the old M-series-concept gone? - A series of ten figures related to an idea? Can you achieve that with the concept of that what we have with the MS/MZ - releases. That's been gone for good some years ago. Alright, let's just accept it - or, if you want, just neglect it.

#18 Sun, May13 2018 5:50pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, you can also rely on me, Master Caster -  I hope you still remember.

#19 Sun, May13 2018 7:16pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

hsf62 wrote:

But on the other hand I'm very happy that we are still together here on MMP

Indeed ! :-)

#20 Sun, May13 2018 10:00pm

mindx2
Collector

Theobald wrote:

Alas, dear Thingol, you`re right somehow -  though I think that producing further Mithril-figures in high quality is not a matter of technical concepts or lack in craft. I think the problem is based on that "concept" (if you can call that a concept) that Mithril miniatures have been reduced to a single series (MS/MZ) that is based on some ideas of "suggestors". There have been no more interesting new ideas for years. Except if you regard over-and-over repetition of suggestions being the base of innovation.
So where's the old M-series-concept gone? - A series of ten figures related to an idea? Can you achieve that with the concept of that what we have with the MS/MZ - releases. That's been gone for good some years ago. Alright, let's just accept it - or, if you want, just neglect it.

Well I do hope I at least interjected a bit of "newness" two years ago... wink I still hope the other two Lorien boat ideas come about one day to complete that "concept".

I also am very glad, even though I came here at such a late date, to have interacted with all the fine folks here. All have been more than kind and welcoming and that is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by mindx2 (Sun, May13 2018 10:00pm)

#21 Mon, May14 2018 10:15am

hsf62
Master Caster

Theobald wrote:

Well, you can also rely on me, Master Caster -  I hope you still remember.

Of course Master Ent! You always can rely on an Ent!wink

#22 Tue, May15 2018 12:44am

mindx2
Collector

mindx2 wrote:

Well here is Michael's reply over on the Mithril board:

A new line of miniatures for key characters, not simply remakes of the older ones. I cannot give you specifics but the classic series cannot be continued as it currently is, as we have changed production methods.

So it looks like they're going to try one more "Classic Character" line of new sculpts. Maybe similar to the old LT or LR figures? I specifically asked if Chris T. is involved with this new line. We'll see if he answers...

Well here's the answer to my question:

Chris is behind all Mithril miniatures as long as he wishes to be.

#23 Tue, May15 2018 6:38am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

His signature is still engraved on the bottom of the base... so.. once when we see base without his name.. that will be the end of Chris involvement into production of our beloved miniatures...

#24 Tue, May15 2018 10:20am

hsf62
Master Caster

Hmmm don't trust anyone....hmm

#25 Tue, May15 2018 11:54am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

hsf62 wrote:

Hmmm don't trust anyone....hmm

hmmroll

Board footer