Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Tue, May15 2018 1:46pm

Maenas
Traveller

Re: Rebooting the Mithril line?

Still this is quite more important than a pile of grey metal...

Thingol wrote:

hsf62 wrote:

But on the other hand I'm very happy that we are still together here on MMP

Indeed ! :-)

Happy to have been sharing all this long years with you all because despite my "cames and backs" I was here since the last days of Mithrandir and the long lost old forum...
Cheers to all! Long live the pony!

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#27 Tue, May15 2018 4:45pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Been there done that and stay here until the Pony closes!wink

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#28 Thu, May17 2018 11:54am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I share your thoughts, indeed I even "forgot" to buy since december, which is a strange and I guess bad sign for my mithril soul.
Still, I enjoy very much helping all mithril casters and  collectors. smile

Well not as much as breakfasts of course ! tongue

Then about talks, I still have in mind to visit many of you...wink

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#29 Thu, May17 2018 12:52pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Milo wrote:

Then about talks, I still have in mind to visit many of you...wink

.... you are welcome Master hobbit .... :-)

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#30 Thu, May17 2018 3:26pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Bring it on you two or three!cool

Last edited by hsf62 (Thu, May17 2018 3:27pm)

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#31 Thu, May17 2018 4:32pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Theobald wrote:

I will try not to forget to cancel my "autoshipment" next week, as the frequent annual sales (there are about 3 or four every year, I think) are better than keeping up that autoshipment for some decades.
Sorry to be that honest with this entry.

Dear Master Theobald... I think you need to go on mithril web site and cancel your autoshipment... they announced today another sales week with 25% of for every GF figure including 2018. releases.... hoummmm....

not fair for you...

... or you try negotiate that they give you at least 25% discount for this autoshipment... average annual discounts on various sales actions are also greater than 25% and aoutshipment applies in only 10%.... not fair it all... :-/

#32 Thu, May17 2018 5:30pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well I really think those sales have a taste of "destocking everything before finale cloture"...

they become too frequent...

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#33 Thu, May17 2018 6:12pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Far to frequent me thinks!

#34 Thu, May17 2018 10:13pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, thank you Thingol, I have also received that latest newsletter. Indeed, it's my fault not to have cancelled that "autoshipment" about a year ago already. Maybe two years ... or even three years ? - I know how to cancel that and I will do so, as it does not make any sense any more, as I pointed out. Thank you for your your entry, dear Thingol.

#35 Thu, May17 2018 10:34pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Alas, dear Elf, to me the decline of Mithril (facing its very end) could have been witnessed for some years. It's not only those frequent discounts that have reveiled it. Yes, indeed, the word "destocking" is excellent, Gildor. Mind that this development started some years ago and is increasing from year to year, as Holger also confirmed. The idea behind this development can only be called "final closure", as you put it. I kept this thought for some years with me. There have been so many different things within the last years that only lead to this conclusion. - Alright, I'm really sorry about this as you might imagine.

#36 Fri, May18 2018 6:35pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Please dear friends, do not be overly pessimistic. Mithril has been in decline for a few years, it is true. And Chris has not been in contact with us as he once was on a more regular basis. But there is no expiration tag on the Mithril brand at this point, and all companies carry liabilities on their balance sheets. It is more properly a question of net worth, return on equity, earnings, and cash flow that matter in the operation of a business. So then, I know that the "patient," (Mithril) is not "terminal." It will be interesting to see if there is indeed a revival of the M series.

As for MX, it is not dead yet and I am in talks with Lars (and expect to talk to Chris soon) regarding a new project. It will be the first time in a year that we have communicated, and I will relate what I find out.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#37 Fri, May18 2018 6:46pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Good on you Tom!wink

#38 Fri, May18 2018 9:38pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I wish you good luck and all the best with your new project, Master Twrich. At the moment it seems it is you who keeps the MX releases going. smile

#39 Fri, May18 2018 10:50pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

well Tom, if you manage to get in touch with Chris, please let him know it would be kind to answer my mails to at least say if he fares well...

I'm sure you'll understand that I took this silence very personnally

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#40 Sun, May20 2018 3:59pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Maybee he had enough of sitting on the PC typing in something.....roll
I'm sure he's better at sculpting with his hands then with the PC as we can see! Less details not the right size....
It is not easy to go from having the actual mini in front of you to "only" see on the screen what are you creating...
I would hate that!hmm

Last edited by hsf62 (Sun, May20 2018 4:00pm)

#41 Sun, May20 2018 7:29pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

that would be true if the exchanges were only on PC master Caster... but they were also in paper and ink... with real mails... they have ceased too...

#42 Mon, May21 2018 6:38am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Actually when we talk about last two years it is true that Chris from some reason, canceled all replies on our e-mail-s but in general I understand him... He decide to be in silence for some time and this is his right... From my point of view that's fine. I also sent to him some paper correspondence every year (letter, Christmas card, sometimes some small gift) and I always receive Christmas card and Christmas gift for my daughter (every year since 2013... )...
So I wrote him once that his work (even if he decides to quit this minute after he reads those words) was so significant for one part of my life that I'm proud to be part of the mithril story and particularly that I'm proud on our meeting in London in spring 2013....when I notice his politeness and modesty…
So I cannot be angry on CT because of this professional silence.... he is great man...

Last edited by Thingol (Mon, May21 2018 8:36am)

#43 Mon, May21 2018 11:17am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

i'm not angry , nor upset, just saddened... well nevermind... it must be me...

#44 Mon, May21 2018 9:11pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Its not you Master Gildor! Its him. Finished!roll

#45 Mon, May21 2018 10:09pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Maybe, and I only say maybe as I don't know the answer, but how much criticism regarding recent releases, style,  etc. has been levelled at Mithril, and therefore I guess at Chris Tubb himself over the last couple of years?

Maybe there is a feeling of pent-up frustration from CT regarding this and rightly or wrongly, he has decided not to involve himself in further correspondence with what he may see as a increasingly disillusioned hard-core of dedicated collectors. Quite possibly Master Gildor, you have been seen to raise most of the points due to your passion for Mithrils roll wink.

Maybe that is the reason for the silence. I hope not, as constructive criticism should be welcomed and it may of course have absolutely nothing to do with this; after all, how many of the old regulars no longer post anymore on this site or the MM forum? I guess some folk do feel they have no time to do so these days. Maybe it is the case with CT, but the nature of the correspondence is naturally a private matter between you both.

Regarding the new way of producing figures, maybe, as CT like the rest of us is not getting any younger (especially eyesight) the new method of producing figures is also a way of extending the life of the product (whatever PA's overall intention may be). True, there has been a lack of consistency with some of the figures, but I guess there comes a time when all good things must come to an end, or at least adapt.

Whatever the reason, hopefully one day full communication will be restored smile

#46 Tue, May22 2018 10:16pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Dave, I think there is some wisdom in your post. In my experience with Chris he is a very private, modest person, who does not like confrontation. Add the fact that he is in his mid Sixties, and perhaps looking forward to a less hectic life, and it is understandable that he has "stepped back." We do not know for sure, but one can surmise . . . .

Still, I am hopeful that the MS line will be produced for those already voted upon, and any in the future. If we can add a few MX vignettes or perhaps a few 5 figure M ranges, it would be wonderful.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#47 Sat, Jun16 2018 1:06pm

Arthadan
Traveller

I for one am excited about this reboot. Could it mean the end of flawed (meaning not true to Tokien) depiction of our favourite characters? The MERP interpretation has certainly affected the line  since its very begining with quite wrong assumptions, later kept for continuity's sake.

How many identical Gandalf miniatures (in different poses) can you really need? I haven't got the 20th anniversary Gandalf because it felt more of the same old and it brings nothing new nor exciting to my collection.

I do hope this marks the start of a line closer to the Profesor's vision.

To mortal fields say farewell,
Middle-earth forsaking!
In Elvenhome a clear bell
in the high tower is shaking.

Board footer