Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, Dec29 2017 2:19pm

mindx2
Collector

MX procedure & cost?

I'm curious as to the cost associated with commissioning an MX figure. As several here have done so in the past I was hoping you would not mind sharing that info and the process you went through to get your figure produced...?

Oh, and Happy New Year to all my friends here. I am profoundly thankful to have found such a community as this one who not only share my love of Mithril and Tolkien but are so friendly and helpful as well. big_smile

#2 Fri, Dec29 2017 7:51pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Re: MX procedure & cost?

Getting a MZ MX or maybe MZX done. Not the way it looks at the moment... Better ask the man to sculpt it by  hand like in the old days! Just saying....roll

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#3 Fri, Dec29 2017 11:47pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Though I submitted two MX releases myself and took part in the Frumgar-MX I would recommend to ask the Mithril Company directly (In this case Lars Edman might be involved.). I cannot answer to your question about costs in general, as I experienced three levels of MX releases:
First I was contributing money to a team (Frumgar), second was a mounted figure and third was a large vignette. There were massive differences in the costs, as you might imagine.
In case you're lucky to contact Chris Tubb about this matter that would make some sense.
Well, I don't know exactly why, but I feel that Master Hsf62 is right.

#4 Sat, Dec30 2017 8:56pm

mindx2
Collector

Really just trying to get a rough idea of what something like that might cost. Nowhere near actually taking the plunge and starting the process!! wink

#5 Sun, Dec31 2017 11:32am

hsf62
Master Caster

Start with about 2000 and no limit I guess!roll

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#6 Sun, Dec31 2017 5:10pm

mindx2
Collector

Thanks Master Caster. smile

#7 Mon, Jan1 2018 1:11am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

I think Holger's estimation could be somehow realistic. - It's been a long time ago since the release of the last two Mxs, so certainly prices will also have been increased (in case a new Mx will be submitted).

#8 Sat, Jun9 2018 7:21pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

I now have a very good reason to believe that Mithril will move forward with a proposal to produce the next two Lorien Boats on the Anduin as Mx projects.

As for the cost, we shall see. Mx600 (Cracks of Doom vignette) was basically break-even for me, which was very good. Mithril  made 10e per figure on the first 85 or so, then discounted some to clear inventory until sold out. Mithril (PA), of course, has expenses beyond production, so I am not sure how profitable it was for them. Still, Lars has a warm spot for this line and a deep friendship with Chris. And Chris, I think, was adequately compensated for his design work. So, I am hopeful that this project goes as well or even better for everyone involved. Exact terms still are to be agreed to.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#9 Sat, Jun9 2018 7:49pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Nice to know things can be moved along by other means than regular releases.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#10 Sat, Jun9 2018 8:29pm

mindx2
Collector

twrich wrote:

I now have a very good reason to believe that Mithril will move forward with a proposal to produce the next two Lorien Boats on the Anduin as Mx projects.

As for the cost, we shall see. Mx600 (Cracks of Doom vignette) was basically break-even for me, which was very good.

Well that's good to hear. I guess my suggestion this month will be rejected tongue . What do you mean by "break-even"? I've always wondered how the MX process goes and the costs involved.

#11 Tue, Jun12 2018 11:16am

imisel
Collector

These are great news!!!

Ilsa:A franc for your thoughts.
Rick: In America they'd bring only a penny, and, huh, I guess that's about all they're worth.

CASABLANCA (1942)

#12 Tue, Jun12 2018 12:26pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Hi..hi.... big_smile

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#13 Thu, Jun14 2018 9:49am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Great news to read boats are about to go down the Anduin river again ! smilecool

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#14 Tue, Jun19 2018 2:36pm

Maenas
Traveller

Very interesting news indeed!

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#15 Sat, Sep8 2018 7:01pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

I have posted to the Secret Vaults of Angrenost regarding progress on the final two Lothlorien Boats.

Last edited by twrich (Sat, Sep8 2018 7:02pm)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

Board footer