Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#376 Thu, Oct11 2018 7:22pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Re: THE TAPROOM 4

Nob IS a hazardous situation.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#377 Thu, Oct11 2018 10:37pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

oh well glad you noticed wink some cleanup was necessary, and as I told you often, I may not be active around here I take my housekeeper job seriously as much as I can smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#378 Mon, Oct15 2018 8:21pm

mindx2
Collector

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

oh well glad you noticed wink some cleanup was necessary, and as I told you often, I may not be active around here I take my housekeeper job seriously as much as I can smile

Speaking of housecleaning, any chance my visiting Elrond pictures can be included in the Gallery. Would love to share our mutual passion with so many here that helped me with my collection.

#379 Sat, Oct20 2018 5:45am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Hello dear friends! It has been very quiet in here for awhile. Barli/ Nob? Oh well, I guess I'll serve myself and then take a nap at my table in the dark corner.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#380 Sat, Oct20 2018 2:42pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

twrich wrote:

Hello dear friends! It has been very quiet in here for awhile. Barli/ Nob? Oh well, I guess I'll serve myself and then take a nap at my table in the dark corner.

Quiet maybe, but eyes are watching (you don't help yourself to too many drinks wink ). Guinness Tom?

#381 Sat, Oct20 2018 6:02pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Big brother is watching you!wink
Isn't me!lollol
Cheers friends!cool

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#382 Sat, Oct20 2018 6:51pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

hsf62 wrote:

Big brother is watching you!wink
Isn't me!lollol
Cheers friends!cool

lol 'While the cat is away.....'

#383 Sat, Oct20 2018 8:02pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Not away at all. Just resting.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#384 Sun, Nov11 2018 10:10pm

mindx2
Collector

Well I've been dreading making this post for several weeks. It is with great regret that my Mithril collecting must come to an end. This summer my wife had some unexpected health expenses that we now have to pay off. I have good insurance but we still have quite large medical bills to pay off as we had to go out of state for over 6 weeks to get treatment. It was very expensive to say the least. I'm going to have to go to my collection to help pay them off. I wanted to come here first to let you all know as many here have been so instrumental in helping me over years. It is because of you that I'll be able to sell some very rare figures for a good price to help reduce those bills quickly. I hope you all understand and accept my sincere thank you for all of your help and friendly correspondence. I don't know if I'll come back to collect in the future as I don't think I'll be able to "find" some of these rare figures I've purchase from many of you.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. I have LOVED collecting these figures over the years and interacting with you all!

#385 Sun, Nov11 2018 10:22pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

That's very sad news all round, but first, and most importantly of all, is your wife's condition improving? I pray that it is.

#386 Mon, Nov12 2018 1:35pm

mindx2
Collector

Barliman wrote:

That's very sad news all round, but first, and most importantly of all, is your wife's condition improving? I pray that it is.

Thank you for your prayers. Yes, she is doing well. It is truly amazing the technology that is available in today's medicine (though expensive!). She received something called "Proton" therapy for the tumor. Apparently it is many times better than normal "Photon" radiation as it only targets the tumor and doesn't keep going through the surrounding healthy tissue. However, it was an everyday, six week procedure so we had to temporarily move to the area where this treatment is available as it is only offered in select hospitals. Between the cost of living in a "big city" and losing her own income during this time did hurt. Luckily I am a teacher and was not teaching during the summer. We do feel blessed (and pray a lot!!) and the doctor's predict a less than 5% chance of the tumor returning! Those are good odds and well worth ANY price!

#387 Mon, Nov12 2018 4:54pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Amen to that! As another cancer sufferer, I find myself constantly wondering these days exactly what we've done to the planet / environment that results in so mamy people these days having some sort of cancer. I believe the expectation now is that half of all people in the UK will suffer from cancer in their lifetimnes, which seems an absurdly high proportion.

#388 Mon, Nov12 2018 7:14pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Dear David... I wish to your wife all the best... This sad news is really disturbing... Take care on you family and you... I hope you will in some future be able to come back to our forum....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#389 Mon, Nov12 2018 8:34pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Very sad to hear the news and wish your wife all the very best, hopefully the treatment will have done the job, from what you say, things do sound positive.

As Barli says, your wife's health comes first so as sad as it is that you must part with your collection, they are only metal bits, she is your wife.

Best wishes.

#390 Mon, Nov12 2018 10:52pm

mindx2
Collector

Thank you all for the kind words. As I stated in my two previous posts my wife's treatments appears to be very successful. My wife looks and acts as the vibrant and wonderful woman she is. I am grateful to the wonderful doctors, nurses and technicians as they were all wonderful. It's the cost that has become the issue which unfortunately means my Mithril collection is a means to an end. As was just said these are just bits of metal and cannot (nor will anything ever) be better than the gift that God granted me when I married my wife.

However, just bits of metal does have some meaning. I have been able to interact and "meet" you all through this shared passion. Tolkien's world is a part of me and has been since my mother gave me a paperback copy of The Fellowship of the Ring when I was only 7 years old. I was an avid reader even at a young age but looking back reading LotR at such a young age...well, I'm sure there was much I didn't understand. I did understand enough to know this was a world I wanted to know more of. That led to finding MERP then to Mithril Minis almost a decade later. Even though I didn't have many of them back in the late 80s I always thought they captured what Middle-earth "looked like" as much Alan Lee or John Howe. This led to my finding these again so many years later (and with your help) when I could actually afford them!

Well, I apologize for the sentimental post but I do love Chris Tubb's sculpts and have enjoyed, immensely, my time collecting, gluing, Mithril-greying (only as I can't paint) and just admiring these figures. That two of my "ideas" were actually sculpted as figures (Lorien boat and Deadman of Dunharrow) was really special as well.

Looking now at the 600-700 or so figures is a daunting site as I will need to photograph them all and then post them for sale. As I said, that is truly a daunting task and seems as if it will be like a second job!! lolI need to figure out if I should start at M1 and put each one up individually or start with the rarest ones (M16, MX535 variant, MS532, etc.) then later sell the others in groups?

Alas, that is the least of my worries in the grander scheme of things in this merry-go-round we call life!! Again, my MANY heart felt thank yous to each and everyone here. I don't intend to disappear and will try and pop-in for a pint here at the Inn and see how all the ents, hobbits and other are doing.

Last edited by mindx2 (Mon, Nov12 2018 10:54pm)

#391 Tue, Nov13 2018 12:33am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Very sad, or extremely sad news indeed, Master Mindx2. And yes, as David and Ian said before, it's most important that your wife is recovering well - that's all what counts, isn't it. Thank you for taking a quite active part on this forum. I think you don't have to excuse the fact that you have to face the fact to sell your collection. I liked David's words "just metal bits" very much because that's what in the end explains what you are forced to do. - I can really understand that.
Master Mindx2, I would like to wish you and your beloved lady all the best for future times coming. Please, pass on to her some dear greatings and best wishes from a tree ... (that is me). And yes, I can understand well. I was lucky to have some excellent surgions and doctors, as you called them, to cope with my cancer in 2004. - Alas, I'm still living. And so are others in this forum, I think.

#392 Tue, Nov13 2018 3:23am

cameosis
Master of Languages

i, too send my best wishes and am glad to read that she is on the path of recovery. like many other forum members, i have had my share of cancer experience in my close and extended family, so i know how profoundly it affects everybody ... cheers.

Esse quam videri. (Marcus Tullius Cicero)

#393 Tue, Nov13 2018 9:10am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Another important point, Master mindx2, is that even without any Mithril figures of your own - if, unhappily, it should come to that - you should still, by all means, continue to frequent this forum. Your views and opinions will always be welcome!

#394 Tue, Nov13 2018 3:30pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

My dear friend Master mindx2. Sorry for I have been away for a while and just read your news about your wife.
This is really good news that she is on recovery.
Most of all, high above any kind of matter for little toys, you shall take care of her as much as she would for you I am sure.

And as others fellows wrote, you are part of MMP now, you come and sit for a drink, a thought or even breakfasts anytime.

Cheers ! smile

Last edited by Milo (Wed, Nov14 2018 7:27am)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#395 Tue, Nov13 2018 4:29pm

Maenas
Traveller

I hope for a fast recovery too, Master Mindx2. Pitty for that collection but as you say there are far more important things than that.
Wishing you all the best, and hope to continue reading (and supporting) your ideas at the mithril fellowship, someday in the near future.

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#396 Tue, Nov13 2018 6:12pm

Mornedhel
Traveller

Enjoy your life Master Mindx2 with your wife. Happy end .
I understood the illness quite well.

#397 Tue, Nov13 2018 10:40pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

I'm sorry if I could not read your post earlier I too came back today only... I am very sorry to learn about all the news you said David, but at the same time quite happy to see that the results are there and your wife should be ok, that's all that matters!! I sincerely hope she'll have a great and fast recovery !

I'm sorry to learn you have to part with your collection, but in the end, those are only material possessions nothing compared to someone's life most of all the love of your life !!

I really hope you manage well with your sales but please, it's not a reason to leave this community you have your place among us, not matter if you own a collection or not smile Barliman or even Nob will always be there to pour you a chill drink anytime you want !

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#398 Tue, Nov13 2018 10:41pm

Nob
The in(n)famous Keeper

I couldn't agree more with master elf here ! you'll always be welcome at the Poney and around master David !
and I hope your wife will recover fast and great !

Cheers!

#399 Tue, Nov13 2018 10:47pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Nob, the fact that you still can't spell "pony" after all these years is why I only pay you threepence a month!

#400 Tue, Nov13 2018 11:16pm

Nob
The in(n)famous Keeper

but why should a poney be a pony? ... the answer is surely worth a... penny ?

Board footer