Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#401 Wed, Nov14 2018 12:24am

mindx2
Collector

Re: THE TAPROOM 4

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

I'm sorry if I could not read your post earlier I too came back today only... I am very sorry to learn about all the news you said David, but at the same time quite happy to see that the results are there and your wife should be ok, that's all that matters!! I sincerely hope she'll have a great and fast recovery !

I'm sorry to learn you have to part with your collection, but in the end, those are only material possessions nothing compared to someone's life most of all the love of your life !!

I really hope you manage well with your sales but please, it's not a reason to leave this community you have your place among us, not matter if you own a collection or not smile Barliman or even Nob will always be there to pour you a chill drink anytime you want !

Thank you my friend. I don't feel strange saying that even though I've only talked to many here or only via email. However, everyone that I have interacted with has been of the highest quality!

If I may Master Gildor, when I do post my collection do you mind if I place a link to your wonderful Database? It is by far the best and most comprehensive anywhere on the internet and would help by giving people a "baseline" to judge value and rarity. I must admit to wanting to get the most out of the sales as I possible can.

Last edited by mindx2 (Wed, Nov14 2018 12:25am)

#402 Wed, Nov14 2018 2:59am

cameosis
Master of Languages

mindx2 wrote:

If I may Master Gildor, when I do post my collection do you mind if I place a link to your wonderful Database? It is by far the best and most comprehensive anywhere on the internet and would help by giving people a "baseline" to judge value and rarity. I must admit to wanting to get the most out of the sales as I possible can.

same here -- i had photographed my collection last month and need to upload all the pictures, but will sell just like david the vast majority of my miniatures for reasons similar to his, though notably less vital.

i'll post a list in the marketplace until the weekend, starting with blisters and then with loose minis.

Esse quam videri. (Marcus Tullius Cicero)

#403 Wed, Nov14 2018 7:30am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Always sad to read when collectors are selling but this is real life isn't it ?
If both of you intend to obtain good money, I suggest you both shall synchronise your auctions and avoid selling same minis at the same time. roll

Last edited by Milo (Wed, Nov14 2018 7:30am)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#404 Wed, Nov14 2018 8:17am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Actually, in Bree dialect a pony is worth £25. (It also has another, less than salubrious meaning, which we won't go into here...)

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#405 Wed, Nov14 2018 11:49pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huoommm ... I have to consider that, Master barkeep ... rhuom ... huoommm....rhuommm ... so, seriously I have to think over about that indeed ... does that pony like apples ,by the way? ... hmmm ... I'll start thinking about that very soon, maybe next week ... huom ... or is it next year? ... alas ... hooommm ... who knows ... well, but, I'll have in mind those 20 quids for a pony in Bree ... sounds interesting ... grom rhuom

#406 Thu, Nov15 2018 8:31am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

25 quids, Master Tree, not 20. But who knpws? The way this ridiculous Breexit business is going a pony may, indeed, have dropped to £20 by now.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#407 Thu, Nov15 2018 6:06pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

talking about coiny things around here? well that reminds me that the landlords of the place seem to have manifested themselves to be remembered... and this year fee is almost due (in december)

well, I'll let your know soon wink wink

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#408 Sat, Nov17 2018 12:11am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooommm ... I have always liked your pointed puns and play on words, Master Barliman .... rhuom ... and I still do, of course ... hm huom ... so let me please still wait another while ... rhuoomm ... I'm just after a bargain, you know ... huoomm ...
you know that 20 quids still is a bit too ambigious price at the moment ... huooOmm ... and so let me, please, wait another short while and then we'll see .... rhuôm ... er, you know that trees cannot seriously cope or comment on such matters ... huom ... at least not here in these premises ... huom ...

#409 Thu, Dec6 2018 6:08am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Hello dear friends, It's been awefully quiet in the Pony for some time now. Perhaps some of you, like me , have stopped by, had a drink or two, perhaps helped yourself to some vittles, and left Barli the proper coiny things for his provender!

Well, should anyone stop by, please give me a gentle poke to wake me up for a visit and drink as I'll be sleeping at the table over in the dark corner. ;-)

Last edited by twrich (Thu, Dec6 2018 6:16am)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#410 Thu, Dec6 2018 7:01am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

If any of you are like me, you'll be sitting at home with dreadful colds. A mulled wine, large brandy or a hot toddy might help, but you still have to trudge down the road in the rain to get it, so I don't blame you for staying abed. (All I have to do is ring my bell and shout and Nob comes running to fetch whatever I need; but it's a shame he's not a mind-reader - then he could bring what I want with him, and save himself a step or two.) As for leaving me the appropriate "coiny things", i don't know where you fellows come from, but if you can direct me to the land where shirt-buttons are the accepted currency I'd be very grateful, because I'd be a rich man there!

#411 Thu, Dec6 2018 8:04am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Hm... That is the reason I did not saw you master Tom... you slept in the dark corner and I've just pased away in a hurry few days ago... next time when you see me in the inn just wisper my name and I will come to join you for small conversation with cold beer on our table (in the dark corner)....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#412 Thu, Dec6 2018 8:05am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

.... dreadful colds... I hope you will be better soon Master innkeeper... take care on your self...

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#413 Thu, Dec6 2018 9:05pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Poke given, and a drink for The Man in the Corner and anyone else who may be lurking wink

#414 Thu, Dec6 2018 11:16pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooommm ... I'm lurking too, Master Ddaines ... huom ... thanks a lot ... though at the moment  I think some might better turn to  bowls of mulled wine .... hom

#415 Fri, Dec7 2018 1:42am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Master Tree, you've ALWAYS lurked - the ceiling would collapse if you didn't.

#416 Thu, Dec13 2018 12:04pm

Maenas
Traveller

Just passing by to wish you all a Merry christmas or a nice Hanukkah or whatever festivity you celebrate.
Or simply happy days.

I served myself a Scrumpy, possibly the last of this year, and left you all a plate with some "Turrón de Jijona", some marzipan and a couple bottles of Cava (Champagne) for you all to share and celebrate.

Hugs from Barcelona!

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#417 Thu, Dec13 2018 3:43pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Oh dear, were the comestible gifts meant for everyone? Alas, Nob got to them first, so there's nothing left now but crumbs. (I think I shall have to start giving him bigger dinners to prevent this sort of thing from happening!

Seems a bit early to start wishing people season's greetings, but since you sound as if you won't be coming this way again for a couple of weeks, I wish them to you, Master Maenas!

(Incidentally, if you've got any more of the Turrón de Jijona, please bear in mind that the rest of us didn't get any, though Nob says it was delicious.)

#418 Sun, Dec16 2018 9:34pm

Mornedhel
Traveller

Not yet season greetings but cheers to everyone

2018 Mithril released 18 new minis and a Chrismas figure (even if some of them are subject to a lot of discussion)
The best prolific year ever since the end of M.

MZ643 Treebeard at Isengard
MZ644 Watcher at Cirith Ungol
MZ645 Lorien boat with Gimli and Legolas
MZ646 Half-orc hornist
MZ647 Aragorn and the Palantir
MZ649 Azog with head of Thror
MZ650 Easterling king
MZ651 Dwarven scribe
MZ652 Haradan Mumakil commander
MZ653 Lossoth Wise Woman
MZ654 Dunedain Ranger with hawk
MZ655 Female Elf with LEMBAS
MZ656 PIPPIN gazing into the PALANTIR
MZ657 Belladonna Took
MZ658 Rohir Minstrel
MZ659 Arwen grieving in the forest
MZ660 ELESSAR and the white sapling
MZ661 Far-Harad tribesman

I updated the lost mini wiki:
http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lost … wship_2018

Last edited by Mornedhel (Sun, Dec16 2018 9:40pm)

#419 Mon, Dec17 2018 12:16am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooommm ... to be honest I do rather see a major decline with the MZ-products ... hom ... I think that not "speed" of production is most important, because think that there also should be some concern about quality within a "new" development ... hmmmm ... I never had had to spend that much time to assemble figures (and many figures I did assemble, which not only were Mithril by the way) ... ggrrrrrrûoomm ... so why do I have to glue and adjust the left elbow of a lute-player to his hand and his shoulder? .... why are parts not fitting well at all? ... who knows ... grOOOm ... no, sorry, I want to tell you here that I'm off with collecting those figures ... huom ... some of you might have learned to know me as a serious collector .... hm ... I do not  want to leave this Prancing Pony here, of course, as others did without leaving a word ... I somehow feel responsible still ... hUUu°ommm ... well, if anyone is interested in my detailed criticism about the MZs I could hand it out, but do not want to pester you with here, as there is a lot ... huom ...
Master Barliman? ... a bowl of that "you know what"-bowl, please ... hhuom, did you know that even old trees tend to become older? ... alas ...

#420 Mon, Dec17 2018 7:47am

cameosis
Master of Languages

a round on me for the denizens of the place who are present.
and one more for my friend theobald -- let's drink and be merry (and pippin) until the minis look wonderful to our eyes! big_smile

https://youtu.be/0H-dJGcD9IQ

#421 Mon, Dec17 2018 8:33am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Basically, gentlemen, I've always considered resin figures to be the cow's back end of miniatures. I've bought several figures recently from the Company-That-Cannot-Be-Named, whose conceit in calling their resin figures "Finecast" beggars belief (those that can now prefer to buy used metal figures on eBay rather than their modern resin equivalents. This isn't possible with new figures that were never produced in metal, alas.)

Resin figures seem to be invariably brittle and cannot safely be "bent" back into shape without breaking (or is there some arcane way of doing this that I haven't yet encountered - immersing them in hot water beforehand maybe?), and the same figures appear to distort differently from figure to figure. I gather this warping is caused by shrinkage after they're taken from the mould. I haven't yet encountered this problem with Mithril figures, or have I just been lucky thus far? Maybe it's the reason why Mithril seem to make their figures out of an increasing number of small parts, to avoid such problems.

I'm not a caster, or someone with any knowledge of how resin works – I just wish everyone would stop using it. GW's initial excuse was that metal was becoming too expensive, but they then produced their resin figures at even higher prices!! That doesn't make any sense at all to me, but then I'm only a scrumpy-addled old gaffer who sells ale in a small village, and don't understand the ins and outs of modern commerce.

Actually, these days I find that I understand a diminishingly small quantity of anything at all. Even old gaffers tend to become older, Master Tree. Mind you, that's better than the alternative, as I have to keep reminding myself.

#422 Mon, Dec17 2018 10:39am

cameosis
Master of Languages

oh, i totally missed out on this ... so mithril is resin now? to be fair, there are many wonderful resin-cast minis, gw is not among them. but forgeworld is, their subsidiary. one notable exception is bolg, later renamed gundabad orc general and then keeper of the dungeons.

#423 Mon, Dec17 2018 11:25am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Aaaaaaaargh.....

Apologies. My brain is obviously out for an early lunch. Of course Mithril figures aren't resin. Why should I think that they are? Well, that may have something to do with the dent I got in my forehead when I fell and shattered my T12 vertebra back in March. My short-term memory has not been running effectively ever since, and occasionally goes off on little jaunts all on its own. So, actually still working as well as ever then.

Now, can someone remind me where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing......?

#424 Mon, Dec17 2018 2:27pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooommm ... Master Barliman, you're in the Prancing Pony still and you just wanted to refill my empty bowl .... rhuooommm ...
thank you ....  huom

#425 Mon, Dec17 2018 2:36pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I thought that was what I was doing. But I can't remember if you paid me for the last one....

Board footer