Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#476 Tue, Feb5 2019 10:07am

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

Re: THE TAPROOM 4

Can you sell me one cold beer dear master innkeeper.... knock..knock..

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#477 Thu, Feb7 2019 6:14am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

I will join you for a beer, Brave Sam!

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#478 Thu, Feb7 2019 3:37pm

Thingol
Brave Sam the gardener
Website

But it looks like we need to open and drink beer from our own stock.  The bar is locked for days....

.... Farewell to Middle-earth at last. I see the Star above my mast!

#479 Sat, Feb16 2019 10:01am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Hi everyone !

I finally managed to set up all things at work and can focus on mithrils now. I first need a huge breakfast !
Barliman ? Nob, do your best please, you won't be unpaid, trust me.

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#480 Sat, Feb16 2019 1:18pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooommm .... good morning Master Milo ... huom ... there has been no Master Barliman nor Nob around here for quite some time, so maybe I can help out ... rghuOm ... a huge breakfast you said you want .... hooomm ... so what exactly do you mean ... "huge" for a Hobbit or "huge" for an Ent? ... rhuoomm ... there are differences, you know ... huoom ... as you're used to have more breakfasts in the morning than anyone else around here I think a small Entish breakfast might be satisfying you ... hom ... anyway, you won't have to pay for it's me having to do all the work ... h°oOmmm ... first of all cheers mefriend ... hom

#481 Sat, Feb16 2019 1:32pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

hmmhom ... yes, those new figures ... rhuôm ... so with the MZ-series the riders and mounts seem to be casted in just one piece now, though the rest of the figures are cut randomly (arms, legs, etc.) ... hooooomm ... well, the times they are a-changing meseems ... huom ... I do remember well those days in the past when the M-Swan-knight-series-figures were released ... alas ... Master Tubb said he was so very much upset to witness that riders and horses were not casted separately and that he didn't know about that ... hom ... but I think that was covered in those days by the serious primer-problems with that series ... huoomm ... so what ... today there's no problem to cast the mount and rider in a single piece and there is no primer-problem any more, not even an antique-finsh-problem with the last two Christmas figures as they too have become a kind of DIY-set now ... rhuom ... you might think about this ... huom

#482 Sat, Feb16 2019 2:52pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Merci Theobald for the meal, being entish filled is a great feeling for me ! tongue

I just bought last 5 releases. I will these new castings for horse very soon hopefully.
Cheers !

#483 Sat, Feb16 2019 5:24pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

... cheers to you and anyone else around here ... rhuom ... with my last entry I just wanted to criticize the fact that the mount and rider are casted as a single piece ... huoommm .... the last time that happened was with those 6 riders of the M-Swan-knight series ... Huom ... everybody was disgusted about that fact then, including "The Man" ....... hm ... I'm sure I remember very well ... anyway, today everything has become better ... hom?

#484 Sat, Feb16 2019 10:45pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Hello Dear Mithril Friends! It seems like the Pony has been empty since Thingol and I had our beer, at least until today. I'm sure that many, like me, poked our head in once in awhile, and left soon after.

Speaking of Barli and Nob, I haven't seen them around in a long time. Does anybody know if they are on Holiday or something. I hope all is well.

So I also have some news from Chris regarding the casting process and why some figures are cut seemingly unnecessary and others are not. This came out of my questions regarding the number of pieces of the Lorien Boat character figures, and my concern that there were too many. It appears to be a spin-mould issue and an aesthetics issue. He has given me permission to share this. Gildor feel free to move this to the Vaults of Angrenost if you feel that is a better place for it.

Hello Tom,
  Thank you for your reply. Regarding the issue of separating the figures, it's not a problem connected to 3D print ( which can print anything however complex!) but rather a problem that arises during the spin process that the factory uses. You have to find a single flat plane in which the figure can be placed without a significant amount of it staying outside that plane. For a figure like Frodo for example he can more or less lie on that plane, but Aragon, because he is bent forward , cannot . If you sit him on the mould plane on his side one of his legs and one of his arms will be buried in the mould and will tear the material when extracting or possibly not fill the mould cavity . Most manufacturers tend to stylize figures to overcome this but I will not do this with Mithril. For example, if Aragorn's two legs were together and he leaned back a lot it would go in the mould as one piece, but aesthetically it would lose its naturalism.
   So in the case of this particular set of figures  this is my , not the factory's , opinion that  this is the minimum amount to cut the figures. I know I said before that I suspected that you could do it without any cutting , but once the figures resolved themselves into poses that I liked then I could see that some cutting would be necessary.
   As for releasing them, I know that they are to be spun all together but personally I think it's a good idea to split the two releases to a month or two. I'll be speaking to Lars this afternoon and ask him about this.

So dear friend, I just want to share this. Sorry I am so busy to correspond better.

Last edited by twrich (Sat, Feb16 2019 10:58pm)

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

#485 Sat, Feb16 2019 11:55pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huoomm ... as you might know, dear Tom ... that comment by Master Tubb still does not convince me at all ... rhu°om ... I keep up the criticism I provided in my last last entries ... sorry ... huom ... to have it focused again: obviously it  must have become much more difficult to cast metral-miniatures nowadays than as it was in the past, when very delicately detailed figures in various poses could be casted in a single piece ... huoommm ... I just have to accept or ignore ... huom ... hOOOmmm ... with this there's no harm intended ...

#486 Sun, Feb17 2019 1:55am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

I know my dear friend, it does not make things any easier when assembling the figures! Chris just wanted the explanation to be put out for our MMP members.

#487 Sun, Feb17 2019 8:30am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

I'm not sure that Chris' explanation entirely explains all the multiple-part figures we've been seeing lately. To my untrained eyes, some very cpmplicated poses seem to be achieved by other manufacturers without resorting to multiple parts. But since I don't fully understand the casting process - nor, come to that, the figure design process! - I'm ready to accept what he says. It's the fiddly nature of assembling these tiny "model-kits" with my big, clumsy figures that irks me most!

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#488 Sun, Feb17 2019 9:56am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Thx master Tubb and Master Twrich for sharing this with us. I will do as always, wait until I have mine in hands before providing any feedback.
BTW master Barliman, is sunday meal ready ?tongue

#489 Sun, Feb17 2019 10:13am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Not yet. Takes a while for the cook to wake up on Sundays.

"A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried."

#490 Sun, Feb17 2019 1:00pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooommm ... "Sunday meal" always is in the early evening, if I remember well ... huom ... everything before that is called breakfast or tea ... hm ... no lunch nor dinner on Sundays in Bree before the sun sets in February ... huom ... I think, though I'm not that sure .... er ... well

#491 Mon, Mar4 2019 5:54pm

hsf62
Master Caster

The Camel won the race!big_smile
Now we have to celebrate the victory!
Master Barliman please serve a dinner for all of my friends here. Wine, scrumpy, crystal clear water or whatever else might be wanted, it all goes on my account! The purse with the coiny things I placed behind the counter. More then enough.
Cheers to all!cool

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#492 Mon, Mar4 2019 6:08pm

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

It was a worthy victory, Master Camel..... sorry, Master Holger. I shall look frward to seeing the figure in due course. Apologies for not being around much lately. Not been too well. Story of my life!

#493 Mon, Mar4 2019 7:29pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Congratulations Holger, and thank you for the offer of provisions wink

#494 Mon, Mar4 2019 8:25pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Barliman wrote:

It was a worthy victory, Master Camel..... sorry, Master Holger. I shall look frward to seeing the figure in due course. Apologies for not being around much lately. Not been too well. Story of my life!

Nothing to apologise Master Barliman, you are always there when you needed. Thanks!
I hope you get better rather sooner than later!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#495 Mon, Mar4 2019 9:04pm

shadyt
Traveller

Congratulations on the win! I have been waiting on another camel to win for years.

#496 Tue, Mar5 2019 5:50am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Bravo Holger, I somehow knew you would make it !
and thanks for the meal, drinks yesterday.

Barliman, where is breakfast  now ? lol

#497 Tue, Mar5 2019 8:03am

Barliman
The famous Innkeeper

Mostly inside me.

#498 Tue, Mar5 2019 9:01am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

huooomm ... congrats, Master Hsf62 and thanks a lot for that crystal clear water you provided ... huom ...

#499 Tue, Mar5 2019 5:24pm

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Thanks Master Caster! That ale goes down very nice as I smoke a little pipe-weed at the table in my dark corner. cool

#500 Tue, Mar5 2019 5:30pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Great to have all the friends celebrating!cool

Board footer