Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Tue, Jun4 2019 2:36pm

Gerold
Adventurer

A short Rohan story

Friends and foes of Mithril!

Before moving on to the scenes of the third book, I had the weird idea of trying to write a short story myself, especially for the members of this forum, and of course illustrated with Mithril figures. This is the result.

A SHORT ROHAN STORY

Click to close

Click to close

The girls are having fun in the river.

Click to close
But someone is watching them…

Click to close
The Gondorian officer sees the spying men.

Click to close
‘Having fun spying the girls ?’
The men feel trapped and run away.

Click to close
The officer rides into the water to the girls.
‘It doesn’t seem safe for girls alone, bathing in the river. I just hunted away two men who were spying on you.’
‘Thanks for protecting us, sir. But there was no danger. Those men were bandits of the wood.’
‘You knew they were watching you ?’
‘As a matter of fact, euh, yes sir. One of them was Sean. We think he’s in love with one of us.’
‘You don’t have to conceal it, Dany. It’s you he’s in love with!’ The girls start giggling.
‘Oh well yes, we know he likes to watch us when we are bathing in the river. But he’s a good guy and he won’t hurt us. But who are you, sir ?’
‘My apologies. My name is Lars, I am a captain in the army of Gondor. I had a special mission to the King, and I am returning home now. As a matter of fact I was looking for a place to sleep.’
‘You can come with us to our settlement, sir captain. My father will welcome you.’
‘Thank you, my lady.’

(to be continued)

Last edited by Gerold (Tue, Jun4 2019 2:41pm)

#2 Tue, Jun4 2019 7:02pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Re: A short Rohan story

Keep it going wink

#3 Wed, Jun5 2019 1:33pm

Gerold
Adventurer

The girls lead the captain to their settlement. However he does not have good news for the people there: Dunlend war parties are scumming through the land; on his way through the region he has seen a large group of Dunlendings and he had passed another Rohir settlement that was burnt to the ground. It is almost sure the Dunlendings will find this settlement too and attack it as well.
Not much warriors are available to defend the village, so every man that can be found to come to the aid, is important. Lars decides to go into the woods and ask the outlaws in the wood for help.

Click to close
He finds the bandit camp and speaks to their chief. It’s a big man, carrying an orc scimitar and another strange weapon the captain has never seen before. On his side stands one of the two guys he had seen watching the girls. When asked for help, the bandit chief answers: ‘This is not our concern. The people of Rohan never gave us any help when we were in need. Last winter was very severe, but no Rohir man offered us any shelter. So why would we help them ? We are save in our woods. The Dunlendings will not find us. And now get out of my eyes, soldier of Gondor. I have nothing more to say to you and you have nothing to seek here!’
The captain hesitates, but the bandit chief seems decided. So he turns his horse and rides back to the settlement.

The Rohan people make reinforcements as fast as they can, and they have sent their women and children out of the settlement, into the woods, hoping they would be safe there.

Click to close
When the girls cross the river in the wood, two Dunlending scouts show up and threaten them.
‘Those treasures will be ours, don’t let them escape!’
‘Be quite girls, and you will get no harm.’

Click to close
But when the Dunlendings approach, the girls got help from an unexpected side.
‘Leave them alone, you scum!’
The two scouts were overwhelmed by the sudden appearance of the outlaws, and run away.

‘Thanks for saving us, who knows what would have happened to us without your help.’
‘It is not safe in the forest for women and children now’, says Sean, ‘We will bring you back to the settlement.’
‘My father said it was too dangerous in our settlement. The men are too few to withstand the Dunlending warband.’
‘Maybe. But if we join them, we can make a chance. It will be better than letting you be caught in the forest.’

Click to close
The bandits bring the women and children back to the settlement.

Sean explains to Dany’s father it was not safe in the forest and that the bandits offer their help for the defence of the settlement. But captain Lars has been observing the outlaw sharply .
Click to close
‘I recognize those clothes…’ he says.
Sean looks as if he was trapped. The captain continues: ‘This are a Gondorian uniform. Are they yours or did you steal them from a soldier ?’
‘They are mine.'  answers Sean, 'I never stole anybody’s clothes.’
‘Says a man who lives with a gang of forest bandits. But if those clothes are yours , it means you’re a deserter from the Gondorian army. There are severe sanctions for desertion.’

‘Captain,’ intervenes Dany, ‘this man saved our lives and offers his help for defending our houses. And us. He’s an honorable man.’
‘An honorable man who deserted his brothers in arms. It should mean courtyard. But you are right, mylady. We need every man in this moment of need. If he fights well, I will make an effort to his defence so he can join the army again and…’
‘I’m not interested in the army of Gondor…Captain.’ says Sean, ‘I will fight as good as I can, but not for Gondor. The only thing I care for is the safety of the girls.’
‘Well, we’ll see about that. Prepare for the fight. It won’t take long before they attack.’

Click to close
When darkness falls the Dunlending chiefs take a look at the settlement, from the border of the forest.
‘It looks like a strong settlement to me. But a rich one. Our reward will be big.’
‘Only few defenders. Our scouts told me they counted only 8 warriors this morning.’
‘So a massive attack can be no problem. We use everything we have: ladders, our axemen. And we attack from two sides, front and back. They have not enough men to hold on. It won’t take long.’

(to be continued)

#4 Wed, Jun5 2019 6:39pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Love your stories Master Gerold!cool

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#5 Thu, Jun6 2019 1:47pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Click to close
In the morning the two archers taking watch from the tower, see the Dunlending force coming out of the forest.
‘They are coming! And they run fast!’

Click to close
‘How many?’
‘At least 30 men! 35!’

Click to close
‘Every man on his post!’

Click to close
‘They come at the back also!’

Click to close
The Dunlendings charge while their axemen start to slash the gate and the wooden palisade.

Click to close
At the backside the first enemies attempt to climb over the palisade.

#6 Tue, Jun11 2019 2:49pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Click to close

Click to close
Also on the front side the first ladders are being placed.

Click to close
But the defenders can hold them off the walls.

Click to close
The archers on the tower can shoot one enemy after the other.

Click to close
But at the back side the defence is too weak and the first attackers climb over the palisade.

Click to close
On the front too, some Dunlendings can climb over the wall, but they are immediately attacked by the defenders.

#7 Wed, Jun12 2019 9:54am

Gerold
Adventurer

Click to close
The Dulendings are surprised by the force of the defenders. They didn’t expect to fight a Gondorian officer and an extra bunch of outlaws.

Click to close
However the first victims among the defenders fall.

Click to close
More Dunlendings are intruding the settlement.

Click to close
Even the archers on the tower are being attacked by a Dunlending Chief.

Click to close
The Dunlendings suffer many losses.

Click to close
But they have many men. The Rohan warriors are out of combat, and only the captain and some outlaws still resist. The walls are abandoned and the defenders are driven back.

#8 Wed, Jun12 2019 7:56pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Very good wink

#9 Thu, Jun13 2019 12:09pm

Maenas
Traveller

Great storytelling! smile

---
Mae govannen mellon nín.

#10 Thu, Jun13 2019 1:06pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

I love it please keep going !

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#11 Thu, Jun13 2019 2:10pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Click to close
This is the last stand!

Click to close
The captain and Sean are the last remaining ones. They fight hopelessly, back to back.

Click to close
Suddenly the gate breaks open. But instead of more Dunlendings, Rohan warriors make their way in.

Click to close
The Dunlendings are taken by surprise. They already had suffered many losses, and the hostile reinforcements are too much for them. They flee the settlement.

Click to close
The captain looks around and sees Sean lying on the ground. At the last moment of the fight he had suffered a terrible strike. Dany leaves the house and runs towards her lover.
‘You are saved,' he says, thank goodness. I've done what I could...’
‘You fought like a hero,’ answers the captain. ‘It was an honor to have you by my side and I will tell every man I know.’
‘Thank you…my captain.’
And Sean dies in the arms of his love.

Click to close
‘These are strange days, sir Eomer. You saved us although the King had forbidden to ride out.’
‘And we came to the aid of a bunch of outlaws, led by a Gondorian captain, strange days indeed. A few days ago, we have met a company of a man, an elf and a dwarf. And there was another thing: they were searching for two hobbits.’
‘Hobbits ? What are hobbits?’
‘I have no idea. Well, we must go on. Hunting down those Dunlendings. Have a good journey home, my friend. Maybe we ever meet again.’
‘You never know these days. Good luck!’
With these words they say goodbye and turn their horses, each on their way for new adventures.

THE END

Thanks for watching the show and for your comments!

Last edited by Gerold (Thu, Jun13 2019 2:16pm)

#12 Wed, May27 2020 1:17pm

Sam Wise
Adventurer
Website

I've seen and read your story a few time ago and it's a pleasure to read it again !
I love the end of the story :
"These are strange days, sir Eomer. You saved us although the King had forbidden to ride out.’
‘And we came to the aid of a bunch of outlaws, led by a Gondorian captain, strange days indeed. A few days ago, we have met a company of a man, an elf and a dwarf. And there was another thing: they were searching for two hobbits.’
‘Hobbits ? What are hobbits?’
‘I have no idea. Well, we must go on. Hunting down those Dunlendings. Have a good journey home, my friend. Maybe we ever meet again.’
‘You never know these days. Good luck!’

That's also a fabulous work of painting and scenery !
Congrats !
(and of course, it's a good way for me to learn something about the Bandits ! )

"no fear to fight, no fear to loose, just want to have fun!" (anonymous)
feel free to visit my blog Sam's Minis World

Board footer