Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Thu, Feb19 2009 11:21pm

bucca
Traveller

Old Painter new to Mithrils

Hello all,

As one new to Mithrils, but an old hand at painting those from the dark-side! I would like to pose a quick question as to the best approach to undercoating. I like to work from black and would usually spray with a matt black car primer - touching up with thinned black acrylic to those underneath bits. As Mithrils (generally) are already undercoated will a further spray layer eliminate small details? I dare not experiment blindly on my first figure!

I apologise if there is a 'Mithril Painting Beginners Guide' somewhere I can't locate, so any assistance would be much appreciated.

#2 Fri, Feb20 2009 12:00am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Re: Old Painter new to Mithrils

Hi bucca, welcome to this wonderful forum. Well, I can say something helpfully to your question. I have to collect lots of the minis via ebay. Therefor there are a LOT of minis, which are in a very ugly condition. That means, especially, ugly painted with strange colours. I had to remove this ugly paint often, and, of corse the original mithril undercoat removed as well. sad
The miniature was "blank". I had to undercoat the minis again for myself. I took enamel paint and use the colour really thin.
But, unfortunately it was something like smearing up the fine details. The best results for that I have received in thinning the enamel colour.
For that I use "orange terpene".  (Everybody in the room suddenly long for an Orange Margarita . . .tongue )
That was the only result which was acceptable to me. ( You will value the mithril undercoat . . )
May I tell you: please do NOT take car primer for those little treasures . . .
I hope this would be a little help for you. Always welcome.

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#3 Fri, Feb20 2009 2:38pm

bucca
Traveller

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

A further question if I may - Is the enamel to which you refer the standard model-painting enamel - such as 'Humbrol' ? and I have no familiarity with 'Orange Terpene' other than it's made from pressed Orange Peel (I only have Bananas in my fruit bowl at the moment smile)....

Anyway, thanks for the advice - most welcome and helpful.

Bucca

#4 Fri, Feb20 2009 3:18pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Hmmm

Well, my experience is thusly.

Spraying primer into the grey Mithril primer tends to lose details. The amount of detail lost depends on how the spray can is faring. Generally if the mithril undercoat is doing its job, I don't spray. I just paint the mail shirts and things black, then go from there.

For some miniatures, especially if the grey primer is getting ratty - as some ebay bought figures will - its probably worth stripping the primer off with "Simple Green" and repriming it with either Vallejo Grey Undercoat, or Games Workshop black undercoat.

Gavin

#5 Fri, Feb20 2009 4:30pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Well, bucca, I'm quite sure the "enamel paint" rita.de referred to really is from Humbrol and it's their Nr 1. So here you were right. This grey colour really comes closest to the original Mithril coating. But, as rita.de mentioned you have to keep it a bit fluid.

#6 Fri, Feb20 2009 4:57pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Welcome to mmp bucca.

If the Mithril coating is in good shape, I'd go with Gavin's advice and put a thin layer or two of black paint on and go from there.  If not, I'd remove it all and prime with whatever you usually use.

There isn't a Mithril painting guide, just a collection of tips and tricks for painting in general.  Feel free add some if you'd like.  big_smile

Please do post a pic when you finish!  smile

#7 Fri, Feb20 2009 5:55pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Yes, bucca, that is the reason, why Master Theobald is called: " Wisest of Ents" ! It IS Humbrol !
And also you know by now, why Gavin´s name is "skilled artisan". His statement is perfect.
And I agree to the fabolous Wendy: please post a pic.
Concerning this orange terpene I can say that it is normal terpene usually use for cleaning brushes after painting with enamel paint.
(This special one smells like oranges, because there is ethereal-lime-oil inside ! ( lime ? Must called lime terpene instead ?! roll   )
That secret only knows the german producer . . .

Last edited by rita.de (Fri, Feb20 2009 5:56pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#8 Fri, Feb20 2009 7:57pm

bucca
Traveller

Thank you all for your kind advice and encouragement.

My first will already have nice 'blister-fresh' undercoat so thinned black over that it shall be and where that takes me who knows....having said that, I'm now stuck as to which to paint first....mmmm...rarest, smallest, largest, mannish, orcish, something-else-ish....

Anyway, I will definitely post a pic when in progress and then when completed, but being (one of the) slowest painters in the world that may be anytime roll

Bucca

#9 Fri, Feb20 2009 8:02pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huuooommmm ... do not haste .... smile

#10 Fri, Feb20 2009 10:49pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

and you are not the only one . . . wink

#11 Sat, Feb21 2009 3:43pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

bucca wrote:

...something-else-ish....
Bucca

lol

So I have some competition in slowness, then.  big_smile

#12 Sat, Feb21 2009 4:11pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Hi bucca, I just primed the parts of the new MF-releases where I had to cut. So I can tell that "Humbrol Nr1 matt" matches the present Mithril coating exactly.
As for coating I'd like to suggest never to use a spray. Use some brushes and take your time to make sure you have covered each and every detail of the figure. This way you will become aware of details. When you see parts of your coating still being 'shining' after about 5 minutes, you should drybush those parts immediately.
In case you want to assemble larger pieces, as Dragons or some vignettes, that 'enamel' colour helps you to close some last gaps between some parts.
Just trying to give my help ... knowing I'm not that perfect

#13 Sat, Feb21 2009 5:08pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

No, Wendy, you win the competition of painting Dol Amroth Knights ! ! ! The best riders I have seen so far !
(sorry, Estel and sorry David, but I think the new M-range goes to her . . . )
So, Wendy, that´s the reason, why I always call you the" fabolous" Wendy, because I like your work extremely. Hope you don´t "notlike" it

#14 Sat, Feb21 2009 6:56pm

bucca
Traveller

Wendy wrote:
So I have some competition in slowness, then.

Ah yes, but if my results are anything like your Knights of Dol-Amroth, then patience is certainly a virtue smile

And to Theobald, thank you for the advice....one thing is certain I will indeed take my time smile

#15 Sat, Feb21 2009 8:59pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

At some point, when there's nothing else going on (ha!) I'd like to write up a Mithril painting guide, complete with photos.

Don't expect it any time soon!

#16 Tue, Apr7 2009 6:20am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

I never saw Bucca close the loop on how the thin coats of black primer worked for him.

I'm in the same boat as Bucca - I prefer to have a black undercoat.  Are there other painters out there on this site who prefer black undercoat.  What do you do?

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#17 Mon, Mar21 2011 1:57pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Hi bucca,
we did not meet before. fancy a drink in the pony ?

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#18 Mon, Mar21 2011 1:58pm

Milo
The Attic Warden

Gone...that was a quick visit !

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#19 Mon, Mar21 2011 2:11pm

hsf62
Master Caster

What a shame, we have a lot of people rushing through....
No time to relax, have a scrumpy in the Pony and sit back and have a nice conversation about the crazy world....
Sad this is.sad

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

Board footer