You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Tue, Nov24 2020 3:43pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Help with M260

dear fellows
I am asking for some advice concerning the M260.

Well after years of stability and some transport and maybe exposition, it seems my Snowmane back legs have lost their strength and he can't stay upright by himself anymore and he is bending all over until he falls. So far the figurine is not broken but it keeps bending down when i try to make it right, so it seems I need to make some kind of pivot to make it stand right before he breaks

Long ago I also had the problem with the Revenge of Smaug figure, (I bought a new one because the old one was definitly not repairable...) but here, the figurine is too small to reinforce the "skeleton" with small threads of hard metal inside.

any advice is thus welcome smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#2 Wed, Nov25 2020 2:17pm

Gerold
Adventurer

Re: Help with M260

Dear Gildor

I have had the same problem with exactly the same figures (and also with M3 The Witch King mounted and with M28, the galloping horse of the old Rohan Riders). They all start to bend over after a while. I mostly try to solve this by supporting the figure one way or another.
For M260 for example I used a plastic tube protecting a paintbrush, cut it at the right length and placed it under the horse's front leg. Then I tried to cover it with some scenery stuff. It's not an elegant solution, it may not look well, but it's better than a bending horse...

For Smaug I may try one day to make it a flying dragon, with its tail in the air in stead of on the ground...

Click to close

#3 Wed, Nov25 2020 7:02pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

I would go with Gerold's solution for this as you don't have too many options unless you want to add another figure such as a half-orc or Orc to act as a support.

#4 Wed, Nov25 2020 7:28pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

the idea of a support is cool but wouldn't there be another option than a plastic tube? hmm

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#5 Thu, Nov26 2020 5:09pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Gildor Inglorion wrote:

the idea of a support is cool but wouldn't there be another option than a plastic tube? hmm

A lesser 'evil' than tube may be to use some thin, but strong wire, but you would still probably want to 'hide' it smile

#6 Fri, Nov27 2020 7:59am

Milo
The Attic Warden

I agree you would need to add a support.

What about a small decor which the horse would need to jump ? Something like a Bush, dead broken tree, fallen wall...
I am thinking also of the M303 : Either the orc or the eagle support which after all is mithril stuff.

Last edited by Milo (Fri, Nov27 2020 8:01am)

Milo Gamgee-Took of Bywater

#7 Fri, Nov27 2020 8:04am

Milo
The Attic Warden

Gerold wrote:

For Smaug I may try one day to make it a flying dragon, with its tail in the air in stead of on the ground...

Mine has bended then fallen with tail in 3 parts now....I need to work on this.
I like the idea to have it in the air, still don't you fear wings could bend also ?

#8 Fri, Nov27 2020 11:03am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

actually the wings bend on "falling" upon them usually, there is no "weight" resting on the wings and they themselves are not very heavy "per sé". the breaking point really is the base of the tail, and the fact the stalagmitis is not tall enough thus lowering the gravity point of the whole structure.
I plan on elevating the stalagmitis bu adding some "stuff" to rebuild it. then making a thin hol far enough in the two jointing parts tail+torso and stuck a hard metal rod inside that would prevent it to bend at this point and thus maintain whole stability

but mine had fallen too many times to be repairable, so I bought a new one, and I don't have the courage to "repaint" it all over again...

#9 Mon, Nov30 2020 7:29am

Milo
The Attic Warden

It seems we are all facing the Dragon's fail...wink

Board footer