Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Fri, Apr3 2009 6:40am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Hello Everyone!

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and very excited to get registered.  I also recently introduced myself over in the Mithril website forum.  For anyone who missed that, here is an exact duplicate of what I posted over there:

Hello, I'm new to Mithril Miniatures but knowledgeable of miniatures painting and Tolkien. I just love the Mithril range, and equally love Tolkien, so I'm posting to say HELLO and to ask you kind folks about some collecting tips!

Briefly about myself:
1) Live in California - wife, two kids
2) Aragorn is my actual middle name (my father was a Tolkien fanatic who read us the trilogy every night as bedtime reading when I was 8-10 years old. He cried the night he finished ROTK)
3) I play the LOTR miniature game put out by the "Other" company! But my primary joy comes in painting and collecting. Frankly, I find many gamers are into "win at all costs" and care nothing for Tolkien thematics, nor do they care for the artistic side of the hobby; of course, there are MANY exceptions to this.

By the way, I just finished painting my 54mm Aragorn (my only Mithril-ish figure).  I say "ish" because it's actually Prince August/Rawcliffe.  But the sculpt is pretty much the same as the 54mm Strider from Mithril.

I will post it when I get around to taking a picture (hopefully tomorrow).

Thanks,
George "Aragorn"

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#2 Fri, Apr3 2009 7:12am

hsf62
Master Caster

Re: Hello Everyone!

Welcome Master Aragorn!
It's always great to get a add on to this "Forum" who actually takes part within this "Forum"!wink
I'm sure it will take you a while to find your way through all this information and serious talk!
Enjoy!
Any question? Just spit them on the table, but watch out for Master Barliman, he doesn't like spitting.

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#3 Fri, Apr3 2009 7:17am

hsf62
Master Caster

Also, if you got some spare money € 300.- - 400.-, and want to invest it in some Mithrils, then you might have a look under "The crossroads of Esgaroth", where Master Bikini sells his collection!

second from the top:
My old collection to sell : 100 réferences from M64 to M385 as a lot by Bikini

That would be a good start!

Last edited by hsf62 (Fri, Apr3 2009 7:20am)

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#4 Fri, Apr3 2009 8:27am

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Welcome! I have briefly talked to you on the Mithril website, but we can get to know each other on a more personal level here on MMP. Like the Master Caster said, please take part in the forum as you can have a lot of fun here. lol

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#5 Fri, Apr3 2009 1:11pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

Bienvenue and Failte smile

#6 Fri, Apr3 2009 2:33pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huooommmmmrhuoooommmm ... so OriginalAragorn you are .... huoommm ... welcome indeed ... hom ... yes .... now you might consider visiting that tabroom in the Prancing Pony ... huoommm ... that's the room for 'facts and rumours' ... huoomm ... of course it's also a place to relax .... homrhuooommm ...

#7 Sat, Apr4 2009 1:14am

hsf62
Master Caster

Theobald wrote:

Huooommmmmrhuoooommmm ... so OriginalAragorn you are .... huoommm ... welcome indeed ... hom ... yes .... now you might consider visiting that tabroom in the Prancing Pony ... huoommm ... that's the room for 'facts and rumours' ... huoomm ... of course it's also a place to relax .... homrhuooommm ...

But remember, the new visitors in the Pony are the ones to pay for the first round!smile

#8 Sat, Apr4 2009 4:06am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Keep drawing attention to me and the only payment you'll receive is the end of my blade!

Give a ranger a little peace.. there are enemies of good who would love to know my location..

In case you're wondering, here I am - the Original Aragorn:

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq218/gav4692/Mithril/DSCN1297.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq218/gav4692/Mithril/DSCN1299.jpg

PS: Rangers have crappy digital cameras that take fuzzy pictures!  Aye, or perhaps the Unblinking Eye has distorted my lenses!  Bah!

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#9 Sat, Apr4 2009 4:40am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

OK, that was my "crabby ranger" routine. 

Now for my real question: what camera setting will take clearer pictures on a digital camera?

Thanks!
George
smile

#10 Sat, Apr4 2009 5:54am

hsf62
Master Caster

Not bad painted, not bad at all!
If I look at your boots, I know why Master Barliman put the wargskins at the entry.
Make sure to wipe your boots before entering!smile

#11 Sat, Apr4 2009 5:57am

hsf62
Master Caster

Ahem, in regards to taken pics, there are others, more competent people around to give advise then I'm. Sorry I can't assist
with this question....sad I'm quit happy to be able to operate my wife's camera on easy mode...

Last edited by hsf62 (Sat, Apr4 2009 5:59am)

#12 Sat, Apr4 2009 7:05am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

quite  a good painting smile

May I ask one question though... Where did you get the base for this Aragorn.. This looks like the Saruman 54mm prototype applied to an LO4 ?
I'm curious smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#13 Sat, Apr4 2009 2:14pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Gildor -

I got this as a gift for Christmas, probably around 2002 or so, from my wife.  This was before I was into painting miniatures, but she knew that I loved LOTR and with my actual middle name being Aragorn she picked this one.

The bottom of the base says "Lord of the Rings" and "Prince August/Rawcliffe." 

Here is a link to the whole series of them that I happened to find on the LOTR Fanatics site in the Products section.  You have to scroll down the page to find all of them:
http://www.lotrfanshop.com/lotrshop/pewterfigures.asp

I doubt this is where my wife ordered them.  I think she got it for me back when the LOTR films were huge, so everyone and their grandmother was selling LOTR products.

Hope this helps.

George

#14 Sat, Apr4 2009 2:20pm

hsf62
Master Caster

And this is the pic from the website:
Click to close

#15 Sat, Apr4 2009 2:41pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Hello OA,  Here's a collaborative effort of your namesake by our famous in house painter Wendy and myself done some time ago.  And Gildor, I believe most of those Rawcliffe/PA castings have this base (name plate and runes) as well as being cast in one piece.Click to close

#16 Sat, Apr4 2009 2:55pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Really nice painting!  Cool face.  If you live in CA and Wendy lives in MI, how did you collaborate?

By the way, since my pics came out obnoxiously large - what are the right dimensions for an appropriately sized picture?

By the way, I like his leather wrist-guards (whatever you call that item.. can't remember).  I was going to make mine leather since it seems more in keeping with an outdoorsman.  At the end I went with metal - and regret my decision.  hmm

George

#17 Sat, Apr4 2009 3:33pm

Kenakko
Dude of Westernesse

Thanks OA,  As I recall Wendy painted most of the basic colors and I finished him up.  And of course, we used the Hobbit post!  As far as regrets go in painting, well, one can often repaint,even years later...wink

#18 Sat, Apr4 2009 11:00pm

Wendy
Slowest Painter Ever
Website

Heh, I'd forgotten about that one.  Ken did all the work.  smile  It was part of a trade or something wasn't it?

#19 Sun, Apr5 2009 10:33pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Nice job on that figure! I sometimes think that I can nowhere near paint as good as the others on MMP, but then I realize that I paint my figures the way I do because I like the way they look.

I hope to see some more of your work in the future.

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#20 Sun, Apr5 2009 11:18pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

JD - I'm not sure if you're commenting to me or Wendy.  In an abundance of vanity, I will assume you're addressing me.  tongue   Your comment of "I hope to see more of your work" leads me to believe you're addressing me, since Wendy already has items on this site.  (and SO well painted, I'm jealous..  smile

With that preamble out of the way.. THANK YOU!  I always like getting positive feedback and I do feel good about my Strider figure.  I feel like I can paint decently, but my caliber is way below certain people on this website.

And 54mm figs really are easier to paint..  wait until you see me butcher my 32mm Hobbit boxed set which should arrive any month now..

By the way, we all have different styles of painting and different levels of experience.  I think the main thing is that you enjoy painting.  I really liked your Rohirrim.  The painting was good and the color scheme was brilliant.

#21 Sun, Apr5 2009 11:29pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Thanks! And yes, I was commenting on your work. The reason I painted my Rohirrim like that is I got the color schemes from this:

Click to close

#22 Sun, Apr5 2009 11:51pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Is that a module from MERP?  I've never played.

My only RPG background was D&D and Arduin Grimoire - from WAY back when..

#23 Mon, Apr6 2009 12:18am

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Yes it is. I personally don't have any of these, but I want to get some of these. Especially that one! wink

#24 Mon, Apr6 2009 9:11am

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

Because Master Jason is THE Rohan-fan !!! big_smile

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

Board footer