Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Sun, Apr19 2009 12:53pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Re: Original Aragorn's Work

right, rita.de. .... by the way it's Peder Hammarskiold ... yes, he had great ideas for creating scenarios for gamers and also doing some nice conversions of Mithril figures ...

#27 Sun, Apr19 2009 3:17pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks for looking at my diorama and giving me positive feedback!  smile 

@jason:  Thanks!  Perhaps the next one will be the Great Goblin and Thorin..  hmmm...  but the problem is that Thorin has Orccrist in his hand, which had already been taken away by the Goblin gaurds.. drat!

@estel:  Thank you for the compliment!  It means a lot.

@christoph: Thank you!  And thanks for the link to that website.  What a fantastic diorama!  But now you've put me in a bind.  I really want to look at his other ideas, but I don't want to lose my own ideas and get influenced by what I see.  hmm

@masterC: thanks!  and the sign is Cancer.  (my son is Leo).  Why?  Are you a Leo?

George

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#28 Mon, Apr20 2009 1:44am

hsf62
Master Caster

@jason:  Thanks!  Perhaps the next one will be the Great Goblin and Thorin..  hmmm...  but the problem is that Thorin has Orccrist in his hand, which had already been taken away by the Goblin gaurds.. drat!

Well, what's the problem with Orccrist? Just make it dissappear!
And yes, Master Strider I'm a Leo! A very proud one! Depending on your sons age, you know what I'm talking about.wink

Last edited by hsf62 (Mon, Apr20 2009 1:46am)

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#29 Mon, Apr20 2009 2:28am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Master Caster, I just took your advice and made Orcrist disappear (to be used as part of the diorama, however)!  Now I need to reposition Thorin's arm in some beligerent gesture at the Great Goblin.  (no, not with an extended middle finger..)

My son is a Leo and I can describe him thusly:
-creative
-smart
-loves the spotlight

smile

George

And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli

#30 Mon, Apr20 2009 8:49am

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

now that reminds me ... about Thorin, and Orcrist.  For sure you'll have noticed master Holger that the "Death of Thorin" vignette had a very curious oddity... an axe, to be entombed with Thorin, instead of Orcrist... Did you solve the problem somehow, did you cast a sword that could pass as Orcrist for this vignette to replace the "wrong axe" ?

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#31 Mon, Apr20 2009 11:36am

hsf62
Master Caster

Hmm.....
Yes, I have a sword. It is not Mithril. It is very nice detailed and I believe it is the right size so a Dwarf can use it....
I also got a Mithril sword, which could be used as Orcrist, but this one has to be shortened otherwise it would not have been possible for Thorin to use it.
Is there a actual description of Orcrist in the book? If yes, could someone please forward this description to me, because I don't have the book.

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#32 Mon, Apr20 2009 12:12pm

hsf62
Master Caster

What do you think Master Gildor?
Click to close

#33 Mon, Apr20 2009 12:18pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Sorry Master Strider to use your space for displaying other stuff! It's all Master Gildors fault!smile Won't happen again!

Last edited by hsf62 (Mon, Apr20 2009 12:20pm)

#34 Mon, Apr20 2009 10:05pm

ddaines
Skilled Artisan

Some excellent work there George, glad to see that you have started removing the bases for dioramas, you just need to replace the cast on reins on horses and you will be well away wink (replacements can easily be made from metal foil around wine bottles, even better to have to drink the contents first!!).

I used to drill small holes in the base to insert pins for extra stability, but ended up with more holes in my finger tips and mangled miniature feet so I kind of gave up on that.

As to style and ideas, well the best solution is to create your own style so we can say "That is a George figure", and as for ideas well no harm in 'borrowing' ideas, but add your own little touch so that other can 'borrow'.

Riddles in the dark has turned out very nice, at first I thought Gollum's boat might be a little large (I have always [since thinking about how to do this scene myself anyway] thought that his boat mght be like a Coracle, made from orc skins given the probable lack of timber down there), but in the finished article it looks just about right, something that may have been 'abandoned' by a goblin fishing party.

I may well have a crack at this myself as well now.

Anyhow, keep 'em coming.

#35 Mon, Apr20 2009 11:31pm

Turambar
Archer of Mirkwood

. . . a coracle, made from orc skins given the probable lack of timber . . . LET´S DO THAT ! tongue
Rummaging around in my memories I found a little picture, which- with kind permission of Mr. John Howe course- I would like to show you, look :

Click to close

Last edited by rita.de (Mon, Apr20 2009 11:33pm)

Maybe the magic was the most powerful force in the world. But that was long ago.
The dragons are gone, the giants are dead and the children of the woods are forgotten.

#36 Tue, Apr21 2009 3:22am

OriginalAragorn
Strider

@ MasterCaster:  As the Jamaicans might say: "No worries Mon!"  Besides, it's Gildor's fault - as you say!  cool  You can display your figs any time on my thread!  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a description of Orcrist, AKA Biter, AKA Goblin-cleaver.  I looked in "Roast Mutton," when they found the sword in the Troll's lair.  I also looked in "Over Hill and Under Hill" when the Great Goblin became so enraged at the blade.  But no description.  neutral

@ DDaines:  Thank you for the kind words.  I hope to find a style of my own.  Of course, I hope I get better as I go - so my style will hopefully evolve.  I've been painting miniatures for about a year or so, so I'm not sure I really have a distinctive style yet.  To be honest, I'm not sure how well I like the boat.  I just whittled it out of a little piece of balsa.

George

#37 Sat, Apr25 2009 5:27pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Hello all you merry Mithril collectors!  Original Aragorn is pondering something...

I'm in the planning stages of an "Over Hill and Under Hill" diorama - featuring an enraged Great Goblin rushing towards a resolute Thorin after discoverin Orcrist in Thorin's possession..

I'm including a throne, a dais, some guards, etc, etc.

My question:
Are there any suitable, CHEAP, COMMON Mithril figures I can use for Goblin Guards?  Orcs would be fine too.

I don't want to go to the ends of the earth to find a rare figure - just something that may pass for guards.  I need 2-3 of them.

Thanks!

smile

#38 Sun, Apr26 2009 5:21pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks to a kind offer from Ken to ship me some orcs, I believe my problem is solved!

smile

#39 Sun, Apr26 2009 5:55pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

As a useless aside: Goblins and Orcs are the same thing. It's an artifact of years of Dungeons and Dragons and Warhammer that geekdom at large imagines them as different things. The goblins of The Hobbit are mountain orcs of the Lord of the Rings.

#40 Sun, Apr26 2009 6:05pm

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

... right you are, Master Gavin .... and let's not forget that the presentation of orcs and goblins in those Movies did support that image ... so it still is in our minds ... alas ...

#41 Sun, May31 2009 5:32pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

M519: Mordor Orc Drummer.  wink

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

Click to close

#42 Sun, May31 2009 5:53pm

protozeus
Adventurer

Yeah! Nice! But wait ... M519 ... what did I miss? smile

ménin aeíde, theá, beórnou órkeiphágou!

#43 Sun, May31 2009 6:10pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

lol it's a proto-M519 wink by OA wink

hehe I see Protozeus has used a MECCG picture of Beorn as his avatar wink
I should use Gildor's one but I don't like it, I prefer Glorfindel II's one smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#44 Sun, May31 2009 6:21pm

protozeus
Adventurer

Right you are Master Gildor (some MECCG pictures are below standard, remember the great but rather ugly "Elflord Revealed in Wrath" card?), and thanks for the enlightment, aha, it is "proto-", like me! By the way, the heraldic animal of Berlin is the Bear, I feel a deep spiritual connection to Master Beorn ... smile

Last edited by protozeus (Sun, May31 2009 6:36pm)

ménin aeíde, theá, beórnou órkeiphágou!

#45 Sun, May31 2009 7:38pm

jdbrown55
Marshal of the Mark

Nice job, George! wink

Keep up the good work!

These are indeed strange days, dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass! - Eomer

#46 Sun, May31 2009 8:16pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Thanks!  And yes, Gildor, that is the OA prototype!  smile

If that was the TRUE #519, you guys would probably all stop collecting Mithril!!

So who can guess which Mithril model it was originally?

By the way, this wasn't my best paint job, but I like the conversion.. so that's why I posted it..

#47 Sun, May31 2009 8:23pm

erchamion
Adventurer

M150- URUK wink

Click to close

Excellent conversion! I love it (especially the drum!) smile

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

#48 Sun, May31 2009 8:47pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Yes, you are correct!  I got the M-150 from Kenakko and converted him to a drummer.  Ken - do you have anything to add regarding the figure you gave me?

PS: the drum is from the Goblin Drummer blister pack from GW!  Sorry to mix & match!  I then added some string soaked in ink for the strap.

The drumsticks are pieces of paperclip with clay balls on the end.

The drum is so heavy that I had to tilt the figure back so he wouldn't keep falling forward on his face.

Glad you like it!  smile

#49 Sun, May31 2009 8:49pm

OriginalAragorn
Strider

Erchamion - did you paint that M-150?  It's excellent work!  smile

#50 Sun, May31 2009 9:12pm

erchamion
Adventurer

OriginalAragorn wrote:

Erchamion - did you paint that M-150?  It's excellent work!  smile

No, this is a picture I found online. My figure it had saved. This is, I painted the top 10 for over 15 years roll

Click to close

Click to close

¡Fuera, viejo Tumulario! ¡Desaparece a la luz! ¡Encógete como la niebla fría, llora como el viento en las tierra estériles, más allá de los montes! ¡No regreses aquí! ¡Deja vacío el túmulo! Perdido y olvidado, más sombrío que la sombra, quédate donde las puertas están cerradas para siempre, hasta los tiempos de un mundo mejor. Tom Bombadil LOTR1

Board footer