Many Mithril Pages @ Faerylands

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Sun, May31 2009 11:52am

protozeus
Adventurer

[MERP] Why we may be thankful for the Female Assassin miniature ...

... if she is nearly as stunning as the cover of this MERP module: http://www.scribd.com/doc/11894105/Assa … Dol-Amroth

Click to close

... though it may be the last thing we'll ever see! wink

Last edited by protozeus (Sun, May31 2009 11:58am)

ménin aeíde, theá, beórnou órkeiphágou!

#2 Sun, May31 2009 12:32pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

Re: [MERP] Why we may be thankful for the Female Assassin miniature ...

don't be pessimistic master protozeus I doubt it is the end smile

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#3 Sun, May31 2009 1:05pm

hsf62
Master Caster

Only if she is put on your heels, then it might be the last thing you see!

Where there is a will there is a way, just as there are no problems, only solutions! Guess it depends on ones own perspective of the matter at that time big_smile

#4 Sun, May31 2009 2:32pm

Gavin
Skilled Artisan

I know - that's a lovely image.

According to the "Angus McBride's Characters of Middle Earth" book, her name is Lothuial, and she is a 4th level Scout (RM: Assassin) with a +10 Cloak of Hiding smile

I think I'll paint the Assassin up as the "Annalena" character from the card game, though.

#5 Sun, May31 2009 3:37pm

protozeus
Adventurer

Master Gavin, thanks for the reference to ChoME: I was rereading the original module and could not find any more details.

By the way, I became curious to investigate due to the following statement in the Mithril newsletter: "May's winner has been a contender for many months, it looks like its time has finally arrived. 'Female Assassin of Dol Amroth' has assassinated the competition. May Orcs everywhere watch their backs."
=> Because I remembered her to be on "the" dark side ...

#6 Sun, May31 2009 3:37pm

Gildor Inglorion
Wandering Elf
Website

actually since the beginning, when I heard of a "female assassin" mithril I thought of that card... (usually I always think of METW cards when it comes to suggestions...)
but I could not imagine her... from Dol Amroth, that is all;;;

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." (Gildor Inglorion, LOTR1)

#7 Sun, May31 2009 3:41pm

protozeus
Adventurer

A SHADE IN WAITING
Source: Jessica Ney (Ed.): Anghus McBride's Characters of Middle-Earth, ICE, 1990 p.16

LOTHUIAL

Lothuial waited, silent and immobile as the rock she leaned against. Her prized possession, the enchanted dagger, gleamed with a pale silvery light in the chill night air. Behind her, Dol Amroth glittered like a jewel in the moonlight, the port city alive and bustling even at this late hour — which would soon be more than she could say for the lone traveler approaching on the seaward path. Blood rushed through her veins as Lothuial's anticipation mounted, yet she remained quiet as the wind. Her hood fell back, freeing her beautiful sable hair, but she dared not move to gather it back. "No matter, it will not distract me. Gontran -will be pleased with my earnings for tonight," she mused, already gloating over the uncounted wealth of her unsuspecting target. "Fool! He thinks that the Prince can protect him! Well, he is not safe from the Shades of Dol Amroth!"

THE SETTING — SOUTHERN GONDOR

The great fief called Dor-en-Ernil, the "Land of the Prince," comprises all the lands between the rivers Gilrain and Ringló and includes the penninsula of Belfalas. The famous haven of Dol Amroth stands on a spit of land above a deep harbor located on the northwestern-most shore of the promontory. The hills outside the city shelter a company of assassins whose leader walks in the Dark Lord's shadow. No traveller is safe from their deadly attention.

LOTHUIAL

The daughter of one of the Prince's yeomen, Lothuial coveted her father's skill with the longbow from the time she could walk. When her younger brother began to learn the rudiments of archery, while she was trained in herblore by her mother, Lothuial's resentment festered and grew. Her family was traditional in the ways followed by the Dúnedain, and its women were not trained in the arts of war. The young girl took to slipping away into the woods with a "borrowed" longbow to practice shooting at tree trunks, then squirrels, and finally deer as her prowess improved. One morning, hoping that her proficiency would mollify her father, Lothuial demonstrated her skill to him. Unfortunately, the realization that his daughter had been disobeying him for years merely enraged the yeoman beyond reason. Rigid and white with anger, he forbade Lothuial to enter the family home and informed her that that the family name was no longer hers to use. Lothuial possessed a temper as fiery as her sire's was cold. Drawing on the herblore so unwillingly learned, the young woman placed a powder in the water of her father's pitcher and wash basin before departing to the woodlands forever. She miscalculated the dose: instead of developing a painful, but temporary, outbreak of hives, the yeoman burned with a fever of which he died. Lothuial had become a fugitive in truth. Unable to return to either family or society, she joined Gontran's band of Shades.

Lothuial wears the dark grey garb adopted by the Shades of Dol Amroth. It is practical gear, although her cloak possesses an ornately embroidered stripe on its lining. The assassin's cloakpin resembles a leering Orc's face, and half a dozen silver bangles adorn her neck. Lothuial's dagger, heavier than most such blades, is her most prized possession.

Click to close

#8 Sun, May31 2009 3:51pm

protozeus
Adventurer

" ... to practice shooting at tree trunks, then squirrels ..." I think Prince Morlas and Master Theobald will agree on her fundamental inner corruption ...

#9 Sun, Jun28 2009 11:39am

Theobald
Wisest of Ents
Website

Huooommmm ... well, the Prince and me do agree ... rhuoomm

#10 Thu, Jul30 2009 4:26am

twrich
The Man in the Dark

Ahhh yes, the Female Assassin. . . thank you Protozeus for the MERP description. I am very happy that she will be made, not withstanding that she is not canon. Still I feel glad that we will have at least one evil representative from Dol Amroth, as surely there must be in any large city.

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." (Strider, The Fellowship of the Ring)

Board footer